Limburg POW Camp

4 replies to this topic

#1 Samantha JF

Samantha JF

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

I have been reading through my grandfathers service records (as downloaded from Ancestry) and have found that he was a POW in Limburg in 1918. I recall my mothers tales of how the war affected him especially his imprisonment. I was wondering if any record of Limburg exist or any photos. Any information greatly appreciated.

#2 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,507 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Search here -

http://search.columb...utenberg_Steuer

also search the GWF as there are many threads here mentioning Limburg.

John

#3 corisande

corisande

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,328 posts
  • Interests:The Royal Dublin Fusiliers in general and 10th Battalion in particular.and I probably should add "Irish Brigade" and "Cairo Gang" and "The Auxiliaries"

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Because that was where Casement attempted to raise The Irish Brigade, I have researched quite a lot on Limburg, but shaded to the Irish Brigade - click here

#4 Doug Johnson

Doug Johnson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Gustrow

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:22 PM

As has been discussed before, Limburg was a head camp and a registration camp. Many prisoners registered there never actually saw the camp so the fact that it appears on his records unfortunately means very little. If it had been 1915 or 1916 then it may have meant more but not in 1918. The process is not fully understood (by me) but it appears that the prisoners, certainly those taken in 1918, and remember there were more British taken prisoner then than there had been in the whole of the previous four years, were registered at Limburg and possibly some other camps as a means of administration. They were not on the Limburg postal system and received no parcels etc and were not allocated work by Limburg but were, over a period of time, allocated to other camps, sometimes going straight to a sub camp from the front (where they were often detained for long periods under terrible conditions) and not even making an appearance at the allocated head camp.

Doug

#5 peter leg

peter leg

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 01:52 PM

Hi My grandfather was at Limburg too, I am attempting to put the photos I have of him and the camp online on this sight I will attach copies to this thread once done. Good luck with your search. Peter