Photo

Identifying if a POW?

2 replies to this topic

#1 KIRKY

KIRKY

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,071 posts
  • Interests:Somme, local history, fishing, making medal displays, family, folk music.

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

Hi trying to establish if soldier below was a POW :

L/Cpl Vincent Foulkes

1/4th East Yorkshire Regiment

How do I do this please?
Tony

#2 carolm

carolm

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Family History. Gordon Highlanders, especially 5th Battalion from my home town of Peterhead.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:36 AM

Hello Tony,

If you've already checked without success the POW list from the National Archives that's available on the Long Trail Site. then the only way I can think of (short of contacting the Red Cross) is to check the War Office casualty lists for the period after the war ended to see if he appears on a Returned POW list. Lengthy lists of these start to appear in the casualty lists from about December 18 to March 1919. These aren't on line (only the ones for Aug 1917 to April 1918 are digitised) so you'd have to find a library that holds them. I have access to copies at the State library here in Melbourne and I'll be going in to do some more research on Friday. If you want I'll have a look for your man. If he appears on a returned POW list it might then be worth contacting the Red Cross in Geneva, if they are still taking enquiries, to get more details.

Carolyn

#3 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,625 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:57 AM

The ICRC is not an option until 2014 -

http://www.icrc.org/...-2011-07-27.htm

John