ww1? Box/Crate/Valise

10 replies to this topic

#1 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Hi all, exhausted all avenues of searching what this item is and what is was used for?

Was given it while touring Ypres last year by some builders who were demolishing an old building. One of them found it in the cellar of the building and called me and my father over from the cemetary we were visiting to hand it to us. He spoke no English, i spoke no Flemish but my reaction showed him i was appreciative of the 'present'.

Just do not know what it was used for.............

Attached Files

• Attached File  box1.jpg   80.79KB   1 downloads

#2 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:02 PM

2nd pic

3rd pic

Attached Files

#3 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi Dave dont know what era it is from but with the stays on the lid it was designed with repeat use intended rather than discard when contents removed.How about a medical chest.john

#4 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:37 PM

Maybe, i like your idea of continued use........The letters/numbers on top look like store numbers but did they use stencils like that during ww1?

#5 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:43 PM

Maybe, i like your idea of continued use........The letters/numbers on top look like store numbers but did they use stencils like that during ww1?

Thats why i am not sure of era.Someone will know what its use was.john

#6 CarylW

CarylW

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:45 PM

I may be completely wrong but it has the look of a US Army WW2 chest to me
(I'm sure an expert will be along soon)

#7 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

It has a metal oval shaped disc near the lock and can only make out ......... & co. at the bottom of the disc. There are words around the disc but its too rusty to read. I tried wire wool on it but it made it worse!

#8 GRANVILLE

GRANVILLE

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,146 posts
  • Interests:(In no particular order)
    The British 'Tommy'
    O Gauge garden model railway
    Meccano
    Classic cars
    Keeping a village shop going

Posted 14 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

To me it looks to be WW2 vintage, in particular the clasp fasteners at the sides.

#9 Magnumbellum

Magnumbellum

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 458 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

It has the appearance of a personal travelling trunk, used for transporting bulk possessions to and from boarding school, university, work posting etc. Date, probably first half of 20th century. It could have been used by an officer in the armed forces, although its primary purpose was probably civilian.

The stencllled letters/numbers appear to have been superimposed for some particular use at an unknown period.

For transit it would have been taken by horse-drawn/motor carrier to the railway station, then in the guard's van of the train, or the hold of a ship, and then by carrier to its destination

It could latterly have been used for storage, but that would not have been its original purpose.

#10 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:52 PM

Thanks for all the comments, so im thinking more ww2 , not ww1 now.

Have to try and find out more about those stencils on the lid.

keep your comments coming..................

#11 Reese

Reese

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

It looks very similar to the U.S issued field desk. What would normally be the lid is actually a side. The desk sat on a set of folding legs and the "lid" opened out to form the writing surface. The orientation of the handles would seem to bear this out. The U.S. ones had shelves and compartments inside. I'll see if I can find a picture to post.