ww1 british helmet?

14 replies to this topic

#1 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:25 PM

Hi all, also picked this up in an old junk shop in Belgium.

I know its British/commonwealth but cannot figure out the 'medieval' addition?

Any help greatly appreciated.

more pics

more pics

Attached Files

#2 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

Possibly for anti flaking/bullet spatter for tank crews.john

#3 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

more pics

Attached Files

#4 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi Dave,

I have seen similar modificatjons before, the idea being it was thought to help shield the face from shrapnel and other flying debris. Very cool helmet!

Daniel

#5 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

It has the letters 'HS' right near the nose guard? H is on top of the S......

#6 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,960 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

HS is Hadfields Sheffield...manufacturer. It appears to be a crude Cruise Helmet, occular protection and the Cruise was named after the designer. Is it a contemporary field made one or a copy? Dont know. Not official pattern.

TT

#7 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,592 posts
  • Interests:7th (city of london) Battalion
    Researching the Rainham War Memorial

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:24 PM

Splatter mask used by Tank crew, similar versions of the French Adrian were also made. Nice find Dave. Regards Sean

Attached Files

#8 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:32 PM

They still make versions of this modified helmet today for the collector/fantasy market:

Posted Image

WWI Experimental Helmet

Daniel

#9 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:36 PM

[quote name='ph0ebus' timestamp='1329262323' post='1711721']
They still make versions of this modified helmet today for the collector/fantasy market:

What fantasy might that be Daniel :D

#10 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:39 PM

What fantasy might that be Daniel :D

Oh, don't get me started! The catalog that came from used to sell straight-up replicas of rare edged weapons...now they sell, well, stuff like the helmet I linked to and stuff catering to the 'steampunk' movement, whatever the frell that is. I got their catalog in the mail yesterday and put it promptly in the recycling.

-Daniel

#11 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the comments chaps, i just thought it looked interesting sitting in amongst a lot of old junk in the shop. Now it looks interesting sitting on my display stand in my lounge!!!!

Whether its a 'copy' or a 'field made' modification during the war, i will never know but im glad i have it all the same.

Going to look up Cruise Helmets to see if any other design was made...........

Any other comments welcome,

Dave

#12 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:48 PM

Not sure what time it is in N.Y. but its nearly midnight on Valentines here in Essex, so im off to bed with my newly refurbished Brodie. Not sure she'll want to join in MY fantasy though :angry: Goodnight.

#13 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:53 PM

Here's an experimental 'French' version.

Posted Image

Caption:

Mustachioed man wearing steel helmet w. built-on chain screen to protect soldiers' eyes from fragments of shell, rock, etc. during WWI; manufactured by E.J. Codd Co., Baltimore, MD, 1918

Originally from the Life Magazine archives.

Not sure what time it is in N.Y. but its nearly midnight on Valentines here in Essex, so im off to bed with my newly refurbished Brodie. Not sure she'll want to join in MY fantasy though :angry: Goodnight.

:thumbsup:

#14 Trooper2406

Trooper2406

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 09:31 PM

Hi Dave, I seem to recall seeing photographs of stretcher bearers / medical staff wearing these helmets. The explanation was that they were often bending over casualties and the backs of their heads were exposed to fragments - thus the added chain mail. Great find! Yours aye, Jim K

#15 Joe Sweeney

Joe Sweeney

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,091 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:47 AM

Capt Cruise (RAMC) designed a chain type eye visor for the helmet under the auspices of the Eye Protection Committee.

The first prototype was fabricated on 15 September 1916.

Production was under taken by the Army and Navy Cooperative at Walsall. 250000 of the 1st model visors(face piece is square chain) were ordered by the WO and delivery began on 7 October at the Depot at Havre. Intent was to install on helmets in France however it was found that at first this was difficult and helmets were modified in both Walsall and London. An estimated total production being 112,722. These things were not popular and not intende for a specific usage-there is a fairly common Irish Guards Photoi from 1917 showing a Guardsman wearing one.

The official designation for this helmet was Helmet, Steel MKII. (Same designation as the WWII helmet).

A second type visor (face piece is triangular) was developed in June 1917. This type is thought to not have possibly not been issued and are commonly found on blue painted helmets (?) Post-war police use?

The percentage of visors actually installed was fairly low compared to visors manufactured.

The Helmet you found looks very home made (reenactor?) and not like the official models. The chain used on the real things was heavy and dense like the chain on the Tankers Splinter Goggles and adjustable.

Joe Sweeney