21 replies to this topic

#1 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Hi all,

Incredibly, I just learned of yet another relative who served with the German Army...his name was Max Mayer, and as it says in the title, he was born in 1896 in Bollendorf. He was the brother of Julius Mayer, whose service details appear in my signature. Per family lore, he served with the "Siebten Jäger" in Trier (a.k.a. the 7th Hunters). He survived the war and went on to emigrate to America where he lived to a ripe old age. I am finding a lot of confusing material online and I was hoping someone might be able to tell me perhaps what the proper name for this unit is and what kingdom it was under?

I don't have much more to go on at the moment but if you have questions for me please ask and I will talk with my cousin who may perhaps know a bit more.

Thanks,

-Daniel

#2 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:17 AM

Hi Daniel,
I believe the formal name for your unit is;

Royal Prussian Westphalian Jager Battalion number 7.

regards
khaki

#3 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,266 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:12 AM

Daniel,
Just a further thought, if the Jager 7 refers to a regiment other than a battalion then it would be as follows,

Jager Regt number 7
comprised 13th Jager Battalion
25th and 26th reserve jager battalions

Hope this information is of some help,
good luck with your research
khaki

#4 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:00 AM

Daniel,
Just a further thought, if the Jager 7 refers to a regiment other than a battalion then it would be as follows,

Jager Regt number 7
comprised 13th Jager Battalion
25th and 26th reserve jager battalions

Hope this information is of some help,
good luck with your research
khaki

Hi khaki,

This is a fine start...thanks for the pointers!

-Daniel

#5 Glenn J

Glenn J

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian Military research

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

Daniel,

the Westfälisches Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 7 is probably a better candidate although I am not sure what the Trier connection is; the battalion's home base was Bückeburg in Schaumburg-Lippe and in fact wore the state cockade of that tiny principality.

As khaki mentions, a Jäger-Regiment Nr. 7 existed (formed 1916). However, I think this is less likely to be your relative's unit as JB7 was a Saxon formation as were its component battalions.

Regards
Glenn

#6 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:28 PM

Daniel,

the Westfälisches Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 7 is probably a better candidate although I am not sure what the Trier connection is; the battalion's home base was Bückeburg in Schaumburg-Lippe and in fact wore the state cockade of that tiny principality.

As khaki mentions, a Jäger-Regiment Nr. 7 existed (formed 1916). However, I think this is less likely to be your relative's unit as JB7 was a Saxon formation as were its component battalions.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Thanks! Jäger research is an entirely new area for me, so I am getting in on the ground floor on this one. Now I need to see if there is a Unit History for them that I can try an locate and consult. I already ran him through the new Verlustliste database and got no hits, but given it is still having entries I will check again in a month or so and see what I get. Off to check Ancestry!

Thanks,

-Daniel

#7 Glenn J

Glenn J

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Imperial German and Austro-Hungarian Military research

Posted 15 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

Daniel,

the principal history of JB7 for WW1 is titled: Das Königlich Preußische (Westfälische) Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 7 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 from the series Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter, Volume 272, published by Stalling, Oldenburg 1929.

Regards
Glenn

#8 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Daniel,

the principal history of JB7 for WW1 is titled: Das Königlich Preußische (Westfälische) Jäger-Bataillon Nr. 7 im Weltkrieg 1914-1918 from the series Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter, Volume 272, published by Stalling, Oldenburg 1929.

Regards
Glenn

Hi Glenn,

Having the proper title is immensely helpful. Your help, as always, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Daniel

#9 Jim Smithson

Jim Smithson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:Arras + Somme

Posted 05 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Daniel

I've just wandered into this thread when looking for something totally different on Google. I live in Bückeburg and if you PM as many details as you have I could visit the archives here and see what I can turn up. The barracks still stand about 5 minutes walk from the house although the battalion moved out a few years ago. It is now used by the German military helicopter school who are based on the old RAF airfield just out of town.

Jim

#10 bob lembke

bob lembke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:The Great War - Mostly the land war - Mostly the German side - Mostly the Western Front Especially: Flame throwers, Special formations; Pioniere Sturm=Truppen Jaeger, usw.

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Daniel;

Traditionally, each German army corps had a battalion of Jaegers. In peacetime they were drawn, as much as possible, from professional hunting guides and forest rangers, and so generally the men were crack shots. In 1914 each battalion was organized as follows; four rifle companies, one bicycle company (for additional mobility; they often operated in a scouting or screening role in cooporation with light cavalry), and one MG company. Interestingly, whereas the infantry MG company had six MG 08s in 1914, the Jaeger MG company had 12, which gave this otherwise light battalion the MG fire-power of two 1914 infantry regiments. As you probably know, they had quite a distinctive uniform and helmet; the uniform was a light shade of green, not the field grey.

The situation in 1914 was almost certainly the same as in 1900, which is the publication date of a reference I will now reference. The VII. Armeekorps was HQed in Muenster, and the 7. (westphal.) Jaeger=Bataillon was garrisoned in Buekeburg. However, when the war started, the traditional unit relationships were altered drastically, and small elite units like Jaegers were often aggregated into larger units, like Jaeger regiments, which had never existed before, and then many Jaeger units were then incorporated (in 1916, I think) into the Alpine Korps, a division-sized elite division composed of Jaegers and mountain troops. The 3rd Jaeger Battalion was also converted into one of the most elite storm battalions (Jaeger=Sturm=Bataillon (brandenburgische) Nr. 3); it was originally proposed to form four Jaeger-based storm battalions, but the other three had to be rushed East to deal with Romania declaring war on the Central Powers in mid-1916, and those plans were never carried out. So the Jaegers had quite a history, and your ancestor's service in such a unit is a (virtual) feather in your family cap, IMHO.

Bob Lembke

#11 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 04:40 PM

Jim, what a kind offer! I'll post what info I have tonight when I get access to my files.

Daniel

#12 fritz

fritz

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 814 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 05:26 PM

Hello to all friends,

Daniel this link will inform you about some historical facts of this unit.

http://www.jaeger-7.de/

Kind regards

ritz

#13 Jim Smithson

Jim Smithson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:Arras + Somme

Posted 06 May 2012 - 06:43 PM

Hi Fritz

Can you email me as I lost all my contacts due to a computer crash. We must arrange a meet before the summer!

Jim

#14 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:12 AM

Hello to all friends,

Daniel this link will inform you about some historical facts of this unit.

http://www.jaeger-7.de/

Kind regards

ritz

Fritz,

Quite a resource! Thanks for sharing it. I'll pass it along to my cousins who are even more closely related to Max than I am...I am sure they will find it most informative, as I have.

Thanks,

-Daniel

#15 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:14 AM

Daniel;

Traditionally, each German army corps had a battalion of Jaegers. In peacetime they were drawn, as much as possible, from professional hunting guides and forest rangers, and so generally the men were crack shots. In 1914 each battalion was organized as follows; four rifle companies, one bicycle company (for additional mobility; they often operated in a scouting or screening role in cooporation with light cavalry), and one MG company. Interestingly, whereas the infantry MG company had six MG 08s in 1914, the Jaeger MG company had 12, which gave this otherwise light battalion the MG fire-power of two 1914 infantry regiments. As you probably know, they had quite a distinctive uniform and helmet; the uniform was a light shade of green, not the field grey.

The situation in 1914 was almost certainly the same as in 1900, which is the publication date of a reference I will now reference. The VII. Armeekorps was HQed in Muenster, and the 7. (westphal.) Jaeger=Bataillon was garrisoned in Buekeburg. However, when the war started, the traditional unit relationships were altered drastically, and small elite units like Jaegers were often aggregated into larger units, like Jaeger regiments, which had never existed before, and then many Jaeger units were then incorporated (in 1916, I think) into the Alpine Korps, a division-sized elite division composed of Jaegers and mountain troops. The 3rd Jaeger Battalion was also converted into one of the most elite storm battalions (Jaeger=Sturm=Bataillon (brandenburgische) Nr. 3); it was originally proposed to form four Jaeger-based storm battalions, but the other three had to be rushed East to deal with Romania declaring war on the Central Powers in mid-1916, and those plans were never carried out. So the Jaegers had quite a history, and your ancestor's service in such a unit is a (virtual) feather in your family cap, IMHO.

Bob Lembke

Bob,

This is also quite interesting. I am learning all this (about Jägers) starting at ground level, so your description is most welcome.

-Daniel

#16 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:25 AM

Daniel

I've just wandered into this thread when looking for something totally different on Google. I live in Bückeburg and if you PM as many details as you have I could visit the archives here and see what I can turn up. The barracks still stand about 5 minutes walk from the house although the battalion moved out a few years ago. It is now used by the German military helicopter school who are based on the old RAF airfield just out of town.

Jim

Jim,

Above and beyond what I have already posted about Max, I can add the following:

He was born the son of Salomon Mayer (b. 13 Aug 1865 in Könen, Germany) and Babette nee Bonem (whose birthday is tomorrow! - 07 May 1870 in Echternacherbruck, Germany).

Max was one of eight children, all born in Bollendorf, the others being Moritz, Paula, Johanetta, Julius, Sally, Bertha and Daniel. Moritz, Paula and Bertha all died in the Shoah. Julius I have discussed on the GWF previously, having been killed in the Great War. The rest left Germany and by and large lived long lives.

A note about his mother:

Jahrzeit: 21 Adar

Babette Bonem Mayer lived in Bollendorf with her housemaid Johanna Hayum. In the Spring of 1941, the whole village was evacuated and sent to Wolfenbuettel in Northern Germany while they were building the Siegfried line. At the end of the year, everyone was sent back to Bollendorf, Jews and others. Babette died there. Her grave is in Trier in the new cemetery because the Bollendorf cemetery no longer existed. It had been destroyed by the Nazis who used the headstones to build the Siegfried Line. (From Stefan Roos)

I don't have much else, but if there is something specific you think you need, let me know and I'll see if I can get it for you.

Thanks again!

Daniel

#17 Ken S.

Ken S.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:39 AM

I think this may be a case of things getting mixed up as the years pass... The "7th" likely refers to: 7. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.69, which was based in Trier.

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_69

As for the Jaeger part, perhaps he was assigned to a Jaeger Bataillon/Regiment later in the war.

#18 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

I think this may be a case of things getting mixed up as the years pass... The "7th" likely refers to: 7. Rheinisches Infanterie-Regiment Nr.69, which was based in Trier.

http://wiki-de.genealogy.net/IR_69

As for the Jaeger part, perhaps he was assigned to a Jaeger Bataillon/Regiment later in the war.

Hi Ken,

Anything is possible...all I have is anecdotal evidence at the moment so I am and will consider all possibilities.

One source (online) of the reference to Max being a "Siebten Jäger" is here:

Daniel Mayer's Memories

The relevant passage, about half way down:

Max is the fourth in the family, he had taken over his father Salomon’s business and had stayed in Bollendorf. He was a fine horse rider, and during the 1914-18 War he served in the cavalry, the “Siebten Jäger” in Trier [7th Hunters]. He married Hedy from Birkenfeld and they had 2 sons: Freddy (Manfred) and Kurt. They left Germany in 1936 and settled in De Soto, near Saint Louis, Missouri, where he had a farm and raised cattle and grew some crops. Uncle Max retired in St Louis and Freddy continued to run the farm and also taught mathematics at the De Soto High School. Freddy and his wife Liz had Linda, Susan and Michael. Kurt and Eva started a real estate business and had 2 sons, Barry and Ronnie. Max died in 1992 at the age of 96 and Hedy in 1995 at 94.

Thanks,

-Daniel

#19 fritz

fritz

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 814 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:19 PM

Daniel,

if he was a cavalryman he belonged to this unit

http://de.wikipedia....zu_Pferde_Nr._7

Fritz

#20 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Daniel,

if he was a cavalryman he belonged to this unit

http://de.wikipedia....zu_Pferde_Nr._7

Fritz

This keeps getting more and more interesting! That certainly does seem to fit better, given the available facts.

Thanks again, Fritz!

:thumbsup:

-Daniel

#21 Ken S.

Ken S.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 11:05 PM

Did I say "likely"...? :blush:

There is, in fact, a regimental history, but I think it will prove to be somewhat difficult to locate a copy [and] will likely possibly be quite expensive if you do.

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/362873100
Titel Das Jäger-Regiment zu Pferde Nr 7 im Weltkriege : Nach amtl. Kriegstagebüchern u. Aufzeichngn von Mitkämpfern / bearb. u. hrsg. Tettau. Mit 8 Gefechtsskizzen, 2 Übersichtskt., 65 Abb. nach photogr. Aufn. von Feldzugsteilnehmern u. 6 Federzeichngn von E. Döbrich
Person(en) Tettau, Otto Freiherr von
Verleger Berlin : Verl. Tradition W. Kolk
Erscheinungsjahr 1929
Umfang/Format 182 S. : 1 Kt. ; gr. 8
Gesamttitel Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter ; Nr 325
ISBN/Einband/Preis Lw.

#22 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:12 PM

Did I say "likely"...? :blush:

There is, in fact, a regimental history, but I think it will prove to be somewhat difficult to locate a copy will likely possibly be quite expensive if you do.

Link zu diesem Datensatz http://d-nb.info/362873100
Titel Das Jäger-Regiment zu Pferde Nr 7 im Weltkriege : Nach amtl. Kriegstagebüchern u. Aufzeichngn von Mitkämpfern / bearb. u. hrsg. Tettau. Mit 8 Gefechtsskizzen, 2 Übersichtskt., 65 Abb. nach photogr. Aufn. von Feldzugsteilnehmern u. 6 Federzeichngn von E. Döbrich
Person(en) Tettau, Otto Freiherr von
Verleger Berlin : Verl. Tradition W. Kolk
Erscheinungsjahr 1929
Umfang/Format 182 S. : 1 Kt. ; gr. 8
Gesamttitel Erinnerungsblätter deutscher Regimenter ; Nr 325
ISBN/Einband/Preis Lw.

:lol:

Thanks, Ken...a rare and expensive resource? The story of my life....

Onward through the fog!

-Daniel