Locating a WW1 medal

6 replies to this topic

#1 stumac1

stumac1

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:17 PM

Hi there I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to locate a WW1 military medal sold by a shop in Chester in 2004. I am looking for a Military Medal won by my grandfather T E Trotter (there is only one TE Trotter on the war records) he was in the Machine Gun Corps. I have approached the shop and he has no sale records dating back as far as 2004 and for obvious privacy reasons even if he had any details he could not divulge the name of the recipient. I am watching ebay. I have thought of contacting all the medal shops and auction houses who deal with them. Has any one seen or heard where this medal is now our family would like this back. Any bright ideas from any one would be appreciated

Many thanks

Stumac1

#2 danny hill

danny hill

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

Stumac,

British Medal Forum would be your best bet, its got a lot of people from the collectors circuit on there and if it has passed through a few hands they may well be able to point you in the right direction :thumbsup:

#3 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi stumac 1,
Try placing a 'wanted to buy'' ad in a medal/militaria magazine, I would offer a significant premium on the normal value.
good luck
khaki

#4 stumac1

stumac1

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Many thanks to Danny Hill & Khaki I will try these if anyone else has any info please get in touch

#5 Steelback

Steelback

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 40 posts
  • Interests:Collect the WWI medals and interested in the history of the East Anglian Regiments.
    Bedfordshire, Essex,Cambridgeshire,Leicestershire,Lincolnshire,Hertfordshire,Norfolk and Suffolk Regiments.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:40 PM

Try placing and add in Medal News - they have a medal tracker section - http://www.medaltracker.com/

Hope you are successful in your search. Posted Image

#6 W.J.Caughey

W.J.Caughey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 686 posts
  • Interests:Main interest is anything to do with Belfast WW1 history, and trying to build my database.
    Fav Book: Farewell to the Hammer, A Shankill Boyhood, John Young Simms.

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:08 AM

Stumac1, all of the above are good ideas you should try, on the thread link i started, it has hopefully produced a wonderful result with
the location of a family members medals, Wyndham told me he just googled David's name, reg and number and
came up with a hit on TGWF and it should reunite the medals with there family.

So input the name and details in title bar and you never know your luck.

I wish you goodluck in locating medal.
Walter

http://1914-1918.inv...5

#7 stumac1

stumac1

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:55 AM

Again many thanks for all you replies I intend to use the medal tracker some time this week many thanks stumac1