Photo

6/Dorsetshire Regiment

6 replies to this topic

#1 moulie11

moulie11

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Sherborne during the Great War.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:33 PM

Does anyone have access to the war diary for the above battalion?

One of the officers I'm researching is 2/Lt. Francis Reginald Palmer, who fell on 23rd April 1917. I'd be grateful for the diary entry for this date and to learn a bit more about the movements of the 6/Dorsets around this time.

Many thanks in advance.

moulie

#2 Malcolm Linham

Malcolm Linham

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 449 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:54 PM

Moulie

From The History of the Dorset Regiment 1914-1919, late on the 22nd of April 1917 the Battalion moved into the support lines on Orange Hill in the Arras sector.
The objective of the Divion was a lately dug trench called Bayonet trench running north from Monchy Le Preux for 1,000 yards across the line gained on the 12th April but abandoned on the 12th April.
The Dorsets started theday at 03;00 hrs in the support line for the first attack and by 08:45 hrs had moved up to the old sunken road right aginst the river with the HQ under the railway.
A lull of 6 to 7 hrs followed while the attacking Brigade wents it way, but at 15:20 hrs orders came for the Dorsets to attack Bayonet & Rifle Trenches with the West Yorks on thier right, thier is mention of some confusion with the artillery orders the barrage was suddenly advanced by half an hour and due to a "unfurtunate misunderstanding" deprived them of the Corps artillery support.
It would appear that the unhappy experinces of April 12 were repeated and machine gun fire from the north was deadly, also the wire had not been cut the laeding companies got within 30 yards of the German Line in front of Lone Copse but no further and by 20:00 hrs the effiort was a definite failure.
Soon after 22:00 both Battalions were ordered to hand over the ground they had gained and they retired back to the sunken road.

This disappointing action cost the lives of Lieuts Plamer & Tilloston, 5 other officers were wounded and 104 other ranks were either killed, wounded or missing.

Hope this assists

Malcolm

#3 Justin H

Justin H

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Gallipoli and Mesopotamian campaigns, Dorsetshire Regiment (2 and 5 Btns), Wiltshire Regiment, RGA TF. , The Coldstream, RASC, and Salisbury Plain during the war

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:57 PM

Do you have a copy of Volume 3 of the History of the Dorsetshire Regiment 1914-1919 which includes the 6th Btn? It has a good account of the action during which Lieut Palmer lost his life

#4 moulie11

moulie11

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

@Malcolm: Many thanks for this. That certainly provides a vivid picture of the circumstances leading up to Palmer's death. It sounds as though the events of 22/23rd April proved a real struggle for the Dorsets - and they were costly, too.

@Justin: Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the History of the Dorsetshire Regiment. However, as I'm researching the 174 names on my local war memorial (Sherborne, Dorset) - most of whom were in the 1st, 2nd, 5th and 6th battalions of the Dorsetshire Regiment - I think I might have to try and obtain a copy. *heads off to ebay*

Thanks for your replies.

moulie

#5 arboskittler

arboskittler

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:34 PM

Not sure if this helps the reasearch, or not.

My Great Uncle was in the 4th btn Worcesters in Arras area during April 1917.

His diary entry for Wednesday 25th April 1917 reads (albeit not 'battle related'):-

On fatigue live bombing school. Accident to one of the Dorsets.

Assuming that 'Accident' probably meant killed, then the only Dorset showing on Geoff's Search Engine for this day is

William John Evans (22168) – 6th btn.

I may be totally wrong, of course, and that the term accident means just that..........wounded not killed.

Regards,

Andy.

#6 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

6/Dorsets diary
No idea if these will be legible with the 100kb limit. PM me if you need decent res versions.
Best wishes,
Jeremy

Attached Files

#7 moulie11

moulie11

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:02 PM

Jeremy,

Many thanks for this - only just picked it up.

Sounds as though the 6/Dorsets had quite a time of it. Helps put things in context.

Luke