No replies to this topic

#1 Barrie Bertram

Barrie Bertram

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

Hi

It's a very long shot asking via TGWF, but I've exhausted just about every other avenue that I can think of.

I have been researching Chester Cecil Church for about 3 years. Australian born to English parents, he was a pupil at my old school, Victoria College in Jersey, for around 3-4 years in the early 1900s before returning to Australia. Although the school did not commemorate the fact after the war because they were never made aware at the time, I then discovered that he had been killed at Fromelles on 19/20 Jul 1916. This lack of commemoration has now been sorted at the school. From my research, the evidence pointed to him being buried in the Pheasant Wood pits, mainly because the Germans had returned his ID disk, marginally less so because of his Red Cross Missing file. However to date, the Fromelles Identification Board has not formally identified him. But, this year there is a fair chance (fingers crossed!(, as I have found male relatives whose DNA would produce the necessary match, assuming of course the documentary evidence is sound.

But, finding that elusive photograph is harder! So, I am hoping that someone, a 30 Bn, AIF 'buff' maybe, may have one of him, whether by himself or as part of a group, large or small. It may have been taken in Sydney, Egypt, aboard the troopships, or during the 4 short weeks that he was in France before being killed.

Incidentally, I have 'The Purple and the Gold' and his only mention is in the Bn's Nominal Roll.
KInd Regards
BB