Photo

What a group of French volunteers

68 replies to this topic

#26 RogerShephard

RogerShephard

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Researching the NZEF on the Western Front for research guide book.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

WOW

TOP MARKS!! - Magsscotabroad

thanks for all your effort and time typing that all out for us non French language speakers.:thumbsup:

Roger

#27 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Posting number six

best regards
mags

Posting number six

Frederic RADET

Posté le 16-10-2009 à 20:38:06

Good evening Mounette,, hello to one and all.

If an agreement has been made with him, I can offersome support coming from Verdun, I can organize a day when we could come withsome material, for example what is necessary to make concrete, but also a chainsaw, a machine for clearing trees, a sickle etc.

I have have just seen the map, Who is where, betweenthe departments 54 , 55 and 57, we could be a bunch of people working hard in renovating this site. What do you think?

Best regards

Frédéric

mounette_girl

Posté le17-10-2009 à 00:03:24

Good evening Frederic, good evening to one and all.

Have you found the name of the owner?

I have been looking at the valuation office for the number of the plotconcerned. And it touches the communal cemetery of ‘Rember’ (as we say here)that can only be, the registered plot 99 of sheet OOO OD O1. Address : Cheminrural des Vignes 54470 REMBERCOURT SURMAD;

But I do not know the name of the above said owner.

This is the site that I have consulted.

http://www.cadastre.gouv.fr/scpc/a[...] leSession=

See original posting for map.

In reply to you : yes there is a large group of people from Lorraine onthis forum. But alas for me, you have to unfortunately count me out of therace, with my walking sticks, and my age. And I am really sorry, because Iwould have been delighted to jump on the opportunity to do something concreteto help the memory of all those soldiers of the great war.

I’m crossing my fingers that the people of Lorraine(or even those byadoption, like myself) are valid enough and enthusiastic enough to offer theirhelp in this great endeavour. There are not only cripples.

And in any case, THANK YOU Frederic to have picked up the gauntletspontaneously, after the courage of the the former president of the Associationof Thiaucourt. Without him, I would never have been able to penetrate thisvirgin forest or photographed these 30 tombs.

Thank you to both of you

Best regards

Mounette.

mounette_girl4

Posté le 17-10-2009 à 00:16:41

P.S. When I told you that my neurons were packing up. I ‘am ashamed to have confusedPascal and Frederic and who else?

So I stand corrected. Thank you Pascal and Fredericfor having picked up the gauntlet, after the hard working former president ofthe Assoc of Thiaucourt (without him, I never would have been able to penetratethis virgin forest nor photograph the thirty tombs.

THANKS to you three and all the voluntary workers.

Best regards

Mounette

file:///C:\Users\Margaret\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

mounette_girl

Posté le 17-10-2009 à 01:16:25

If the the plot 99 is not quite visible, here it is

Best regards

Mounette.

militarpas

En passant par la Lorraine...

Posté le 17-10-2009 à 13:45:38

Hello to one and all.

Hello Mounette.

Holy neuron, doesn’t really matter anyway, to my mindwhat is important isn’t really who or what, but moreover the final resultobtained by the people who the love of the Great war has brought together.

And this, in view of being able to saveguardplaces, remains, forgotten and to bringthem back to life again, so that they don’t one day become like so many otherthings only memories on photos.

To sum up, what is important is to be able to throughthese relics, to keep the memory of the past alive.

For thevaluation office, it is effectively the plot 99, I have also looked it up, butlike you, I have not found any relevant information.

But further to a telephone conversation with themayor, he gave me the contact details that the possessed (the name of the owner who lives in Avril in the54 department) but unfortunately hisname is on the red list, at the same time I have started reviewin a fewtelephone numbers belonging to people with the same surname and who live in thearea., but with no success, (no family connection), in brief, for the moment nomeans of getting in touché with the owner.

Next week, I will telephone to the mayor of Avril butlegally speaking, I do not know if I have the right to this sort of information.

If not Mounette, sorry but I do not share your opinionconcerning the fact that you think you are out of the running, in such apersonal project, I think that many forms of participation can exist, in anactive way according to one’s means, and so Bravo and thank you to you for yourcommentaries, infos, advice, encouragement, and above all for having editedthis subject, without which, we might not have the current interest, and maynever would have had it.

Good day Frederic

Effectively, between the Dep 54,55 87, quite a fewenrolled, once everything has been put straight, effectively all the voluntaryworkers will do the running.

Concerning Frederic, already having been hit by therestaumania( the know how, theknowledge, the organization, the material) a real extra for this site of the period,which by its importance is crying out to belong to the historical patrimony ofLorraine, and thus in advance in its name. Thank you for the extra help comingfrom Verdun.

Here if all goes well ( I hope) we will be able to betogether ‘and with those who would like to be with us, to share the pleasureand to work hard together in order torestore the site.

Best regards

Pascal

#28 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:carpentry,2n bn black watch & my family regiment the" dandy ninth"
    I also love watching my daughter playing football for her local team

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi Mags
great work !!!, They are having lot's of trouble trying to locating the Landowner !!!

thanks Mags

Ian

#29 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

Good job translating and what a bunch of caretakers in France

#30 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:36 AM

Hi once again,
Posting number seven
mags

¨Posting number seven.

mounette_girl

Posté le 17-10-2009 à 16:26:43

Well like a ‘busybody » …..I can do the trick.

But nomore of your nonsense, Pascal, I join inyour approach, and that of Frederic, atleast in spirit and with all my heart. I also hope that other hardworkingpeople will join you. Especially as, aestheticallyspeaking, the tombstones of Rember are interesting. They are all of the sameworkmanship, that is also something to redevelop.

About the owner, even if he (or she) were ex directorywith France Telecom, if he has subscribed with another Internet supplier with afree number, (Free or other for example), son phone number should no longer behidden? No? Or am I mistaken, or maybe I have completely misunderstood. I ammentioning this all the same, because it happened to me. Ithappened unexpectedlyto me, when I was contacted on my free number.

So good luck to you all, and keep giving us theupdates.

Best regards

Mounette.

file:///C:/Users/Margaret/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif

militarpas

En passant par laLorraine.

Posté le20-10-2009 à 12:07:24

Hello to one and all.

For those who areinterested, here is the news.

I phoned the town hall of Avril explaining the reasonsof my search, and I have managed to have the address of the owner.

I can’t go this week, but I will go this weekend ornext week to try and meet him.

Best Regards

Pascal.

PS Mounette : itwas in complete sincerity.

Amicalement
Pascal

Jeepgmc

Posté le 20-10-2009 à 12:53:24

Hello Everyone

I will be delighted to be with you on the one orseveral days of work (privately) Please just send me a message with the day andtime.

Best regards.

militarpas

En passant par laLorraine

Posté le 21-10-2009 à 12:28:18

Hello to one and all.

The developments, thevoluntary work, very funny, is starting to take shape. Hoping that the ownerwill be enthusiastic about the project.

In any case, I willcontinuing giving the news.

Best regards

¨Pascal

e-Storia

Posté le 26-10-2009 à 23:23:08

Good evening.

Many thanks for theindication of the stone at Lorry. Here is a postcard of Rembercourt during theGreat War., I also other photos of the area, but there is nothing recognizable,if only the Germans in the woods. And once again bravo for the bunker beingrefound. I hope it is in the area where I live and if one of these days, thereare visits, in the meantime I also show people around the works, but in anotherway.

http://www.e-storial-frontiere.com

Best regards

JF Genet
See original posting to see the postcard.

#31 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:03 PM

Rembercourt

Attached Files

#32 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:06 PM

still Rembercourt

Attached Files

• Attached File  remb.jpg   86.57KB   0 downloads

#33 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:21 PM

Link to a French website with old cemetery photos

#34 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 12:33 PM

here's another one
mags
Posting number eight

e-Storial

Posté le 26-10-2009 à 23:47:24

Ah and since I have your attention, and even if this subject has alreadybeen brought up and there are as many for and against, it is not very advisableto show too many details of the location, because this little cemetery whichwas only known to the informed, risks its stones being stolen. Example atnovéant about fifteen years ago, therewas a similar necropolis with also about fifteen stones, here is what is leftafter a few individuals came and helped themselves despite the protests of theowner.

Good evening

JF Genet

See original postings for photos.

e-Storial

Posté le26-10-2009 à 23:50:34

And yes, it was there, and better than mine, which looks as though it’sleaning a bit. Now then jump, it’s a sign, I am going to bed.

Good night to all of you.

mounette_girl

Posté le 27-10-2009 à 10:49:58

Hello JG Genetet and hello to one and all.

So, we have to set up a guard post on the Chemin des Vignes in front of thecemetery, I believe that if I can still find the energy to do it. Energy feedson anger.

Once upon a time at Rembercourt, it was said that the Rupt de Mad washaunted by a “Chan Hook” qui caught disobedientchildren (with his hook) to drown them in the river.

But I will use my walking sticks? Of course not. But it is out of thequestion to allow criminal collectors steal one or any of the identicaltombstones that I was so fortunate to be able to phototgraphe a few years ago.And I hope that all our Forum friends will defend these places of memory withall their might.

Let’s go back to the history of Rembercourt.

From September 1914, what was called the Salient of Saint Mihiel, designating an advance of the German lines ofmore than 65 km in length and 20 kms wide on the French position.

This advance also known as Pocket (as far as Pont à mousson) was the theatre of violent fighting on severaloccasion, with notable three attempts of the French to take it back.

The villages included in this pocket, one of which was obviouslyRembercourt( the name was only changedto Rembercour-sur-Mad in April 1961), were hard hit for four years, until themoment known as the Reduction of the Salient of Saint Mihiel, which saw theintervention of the Americans.

:

See originalposting for photos of Rember.

Once, I remember, afew old witnesses of that dark period were reliving their souvenirs,in front ofthose who cared to listen. But unfortunately, there are no more witnesses leftalive (I think) to tell us in detail all that happened in this area.

The humanwitnesses are no longer alive, there are only the tombstones which can witnessneeding protected, it’s our duty.

Best regards

Mounette

mounette_girl

Posté le 27-10-2009 à 15:23:07

Hello again to everyone.

A few details concerning our cemetery.

For the years up to 2007, my brother and I could enter the small abandonedGerman cemetery in Rembercourt (touching the new communal cemetery) withoutrisking a broken bone every time, or at least a few seriously twisted ankles,as the vegetation was thick in this period. You will tell me that at least this place was well protected. That’strue.

The most curious passer-bys could just catch a glimps and perhaps countthrough the tree trunks (supposing that they moved the branches and lifted thebrambles and creepers). Thirty stones were still standing, attacked by dampnesand a monument at the end of what was once a central alley.

I had already telephoned, then written to the town hall to know why thiswas the case. They kept me waiting for the answer for a very long time. They told me that there were no soldiers leftin the cemetery for years, assuring me that all the tombs had been raised.

Our administrator Joel also reassured me and supplied all the necessaryexplanations.

However, well before having these official answers, I had also visited theGerman necropolis of Thiaucourt, situated a few kilometers from Rembercourt andI left a message on the register placed near the main gate. There too; I hadmentioned the German cemetery of Rembercourt, left unattended for so long, and I also said that I was astonished, evenscandalized by this situation.

I had even sent a message to Germany , to an association looking afterGerman military tombs and those of Alsatian Mosellans who were conscripted byforce.

When I came back to Rembercourt in May 2007, I could see with joy, that theentry, the approaches, and the cemetery’s central alley had been cleaned up. Inface the accomplished miracle was the work of our friend Bernard(jeepgmc) andthe Union of the Safeguard of military heritage of Thiaucourt. It is necessaryto thank him again.

When I said above, that this region still has remains, I was also thinking of Germanbunkers present in many areas, of which the most visible is near the D3, on theroad to Pont a Mousson between Thiaucourtand the destroyed village of Regnieville.

See original positing for photos of the bunkers.

According to Bernard, there are eight blockhaus of the same type in an area of 500 to 600m on the plain beforegoing to towards Thiaucourt. See :

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.n[...] .htm#t5507

Best regards

Mounette

#35 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:08 PM

Posting number nine
mags

Posting number nine

militarpas

En passant par la Lorraine

Posté le27-10-2009 à 17:31:46

Hello to one and all

Thank you jean Francois, that was great.

For the bunker that was refound, it is an integral part of the fortifiedbelt of Thionville, which is not too far away for you, in case that, noproblems for a short visit, in effect knowing your work concerning the memoryof the pas, there is now problem tomaking it known visually.

For Noveant, I do not know, but certainly like other things, it is true tosay that it is also more or less problematic to locate some remains, saying that the fact that it is maintained andindicated to the public can play in favour of seeing fewer remains disappearless….

That the are completely ignore, disused,, gives the impression that, tthat it is up to nobody, and open the doorto some, to be able to appropriate them without too many questions being asked.

Like for example the cemetery, for the bench which was still complete andwhich disappeared (which I think must not be the work of a collector, butrather of someone who said, oh look at that a beautiful stone bench, that wouldlook great in my garden), in brief.

Thanks once again to Mounette for the short history of Rembercour, and theinformation regarding the cemetery. Information, photos, it is becoming moreand more interesting.

Let’s see the news :

On Saturday morning I went to Avril to see the “owner” but he was absentfor the weekend, I could see his wife to whom I explained the object of myvisit, against the project in view(having Internet, so that they could understand my request more fully, I leftthe site address, the heading and the title of the subject.

Normally I should have had a phone call yesterday evening on his return,but for the moment I have had no news. So I am still waiting.

Best regards

Pascal

Jeepgmc

Posté le 28-10-2009 à 13:52:27

Hello to everyone.

It seemed to me that themale owner was a woman ? Am I mistaken.

And thanks to you Mounette for your praises.

Best regards

Message édité par jeepgmc le 28-10-2009 à 13:54:01

militarpas

Posté le 28-10-2009 à 20:38:10

Hello to one and all.

Hello Bernard

Before I do not know, but since (the mayor of Rembercourt informed me of it) that the new owner was a manafter an inheritance.

Who by the way still has not contacted me (not havingtheir phone number, his wife had promised me that I would get an answer fromhim on Monday evening.

Best regards

Pascal

militarpas

Posté le 06-11-2009 à 21:02:44

Hello to one and all

The news

I still have been contacted, so I went back thisafternoon to Avril and managed to meet the owner personally, who very nicelygave me his agreement for the project and by this agreed to sign a documentthat I had prepared; (so wonderful, everything according to the books)

While I am here, I would like to take advantage ofsaying thank you once again.

See original posting to see copy of the document.

All that is left for me to do is to go to Rembercourtto meet the Mayor as he had offered to do during our phone call, if all goeswell, I hope to go there next week.

Best regards

Pascal.

Me reste donc à merendre à Rembercourt pour rencontrer Mr le Maire comme il me l'avait proposélors de notre conversation téléphonique, si tout va bien j'espère pouvoir yaller la semaine prochaine ...

Amicalement
Pascal

---------------

#36 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi Mags
I just read your last post, I think these volunteer's are doing a great job getting this cemetery back into order !!!

Ian

#37 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

Posting number ten

mags

Posting number ten

mounette_girl

Posté le 06-11-2009 à 21:46:51

Good eveningPascal

YIPPEE !Bravo Pascal

That’s what I call excellent news, that boosts the morale.

Congratulations, best regards

Mounette

militarpas

Posté le 12-11-2009 à 19:25:08

Hello to one and all

Thank you Mounette for your cheering YIPPEE

I took advantage of the public holiday of 11thNovember and went out for a walk in theforest in the sector of Rembercourt for……… at the end of the afternoon tostop briefly at the Mayor’s to presentmyself in person et to give him one of the authorisations signed by the owner.

So contact has been made….and all is well……everything isgoing in the good direction, the proof…

The mayor told me that he was going to make enquiries onhis side about the bench that disappeared…….in case that it could be found(that would be great if there were any means that it could find itsoriginal place) moreover on my next visit,the mayor introduced me to an inhabitant of Rembercourt (a Rembercourtois) whois interested to join the project. (awesom, having a volunteer on the site).

Oh for the gooddays to arrive (in any case without dampness) so that the cleaning up and the getting things back intoshape can restart from where we stopped.

Best regards

¨Pascal

PS : for those who live to far away….Here is a general view taken yesterday (11 11 2009)

See original posting for photo

mounette_girl

Posté le 12-11-2009 à 19:41:44

Hello everyone

Well I’m going to say YIPPEE again, that’s the least I can do and I’madding a great big friendly kiss.

Mounette

Militarpas

Posté le 12-11-2009 à 20:55:03

Hello once again

Yippees likethat, more and more motivating for the follow up of the project.

A great big friendly kiss, with today’s temperature,that will warm us up. Thanks mounette. From me and my same, same to you

Best regards

Pascal

Piou-Piou

Posté le 12-11-2009 à 23:11:48

Good evening to one and all

Good evening Pascal

I join withMounette (I could be one of these children, 54 years old, for info) great greatand beautiful initiative.

Congratulationsto all those who have joined in the project.

It’s a pitythat I live so far way, the Belgian trench applauds.

Ana hip hiphurray.

Keep us upto date please.

Best regards

Phil

mounette_girl

Posté le 13-11-2009 à 00:15:02

Yes my dear Piou-piou ! Mothers at 18, there aresome and even some younger than that.

It was not my case, but it could have been. My eldestchild is 48 years old all the same. Although it is true to say that I oftenfeel to be the mother or the grandmother of many members of “this wonderfulforum that is our own” (You see, I am always thinking of you Mar)

So at my age, we can well afford a great big kiss tothe younger members amongst us when we are happy with them. And there, I amhappy that Pascal has picked up the torch.

Dear Phil, a great bit kiss also , as well as to allthe Belgian trench

Mounette.

Jeepgm

Posté le 23-12-2009 à 08:33:56

Hello to everybody.

Not much news about the work, I hope you haven’t hadany trouble with the townhall

or the Owner.

Don’t hesitate to ask for help when you start.

Best regards.

militarpas

Posté le 23-12-2009 à 12:08:48

Hello everyone

Hello Bernard.

No no , no problems.

Its just that there are no news, it’s that (as I saidabove) waiting for the good weather to come back, with respect to the weatherof the season, standy by obliges, and so not much to report back.

In effect, with the rain, the cold and the snow at themoment, it’s not really the best time for a day of work outside.

As for me, I live about 50km from Rembercourt, and Iwork 2x8 shift, so not so obvious to there for one or two hours weatherpermitting.

Briefly, now that everything has been settled, theproject won’t be forgotten, I just think that it is better to wait for the goodweather in 2010 to be able to start working in good conditions.

Saying that, I am not the only element who relaunchedthe project, and so just a volunteer like everyone else who joined the project,in brief I am not indispensable et so if the weather is not a problem for thosewho feel filled with the volunteers spirit, then there is frankly no problem.

Best regards

Pascal

#38 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

Hi again, posting number eleven
mags

Posting number eleven

christophe schlegel

Posté le 23-12-2009 à 20:34:19

Hello to one and all.

While we are waiting for the good weather to arrive, I am heating the brushcutter, and thechainsaw, and I am sharpening the blades of my branch cutter.

Merry Christmas to you all

Christophe Schlegel

mounette_girl

Posté le 26-12-2009 à 18:33:04

Peek a boo all ye hard working brushcutters. I havebeen waiting for the subject to move back up, by your selves, to the top of ofthe discussion, saying to myself “the weather isn’t very good, it’s even rottenweather, it’s not the weather to put a hardworking restorer (of a cemetery)outside/ so we have to wait at least for the good weather to come back . But I knowfine well that nobody is forgetting the important job that has to be done. Happynew Year all ye hardworking folks and have a good beginning to 2010.

Best Regards

Mounette

mounette_girl

Posté le 14-02-2010 à 12:19:25

Hello one and all ;

So i am bringing up my favorite thread, even if the weather is too bad to put a cemeteryrestorer outside.

But time is flying and spring is coming.

I hope that I can (and I want ot) to go and say helloto you all.

Question to Joel Huret : How is theMuseum ofThiaucourt working this year? Will it only be open one Sunday per month? Is itnecessary to inform you of my arrival in your territory?

My ears are wide open.

Best regards

Mounette

militarpas

Posté le 14-02-2010 à 15:22:54

Hello to one and all

Hello Mounette.

Outside, dressed as necessary to go on short walks(moreover today there were a few bright moments here in Lorraine) on the otherhand effectively it is too cold for the hands to work in the snwo””brrrr” itwas really freezing, so we will have to wait for a while.

In fact, it’s turned out well for me, for my wifenearly died at the beginning of the year’ just after the festive period) it wasa close shave(three or four hours) she had a meningitis (coma, ambulance, inhospital for fifteen days, of which five were in intensive care) in brief not avery good moment. Today she is still under treatment but is out of danger, along rest and everything will get back to normal.

Just a question of getting her health back, yesterdaywe went for a walk in the forest looking for a certain stone, and as we werenear Rembercourt, we popped in to see the cemetery;

With the vegetation suffering from the cold weather, the squares of the stones showperfectly how they will look after the brushcutting and cleaning.

On the other hand, without the undergrowth,unfortunately we can also see how damaged the wall is and continuing to getworse, to get things right ‘which is not obvious in brief HELP, we need someonewho knows something about wall building,(lol which is not up my street)

And in Spring, if all is well with you Mounette, itwould be nice to see you.

In the meantime, here are some photos that we tookyesterday.

See original posting for photos

Best regards

Pascal

#39 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Hi Mags
Another good Job done translating , The Volunteers are starting to feel the Cold weather :doh:

Many thanks Mags

Ian

#40 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

here is posting number twelve
mags

Posting number twelve

mounette_girl

Posté le 14-02-2010 à 16:29:07

Re to all

Hello my dear Pascal.

I can imagine the terrible time that you have beengoing through, and your wife too. And I never knew anything about it. I am sohappy to learn that your wife is getting better. I address my warmestgreetings and hope that she gets wellvery soon.

What a strange coincidence that you both wentyesterday, to that little German cemetery, when I was thinking myself aboutRember.

Many thanks for the photos.

Yes as soon as the good weather arrives, we will placean ad on the forum to find one or more voluntary masons, I am sure that we cando it.

Best regards

Mounette

Re... à tous

Jean RIOTTe

Posté le 14-02-2010 à 19:07:27

Good evning Mounette, Pascal and all the othercemetery restorers.

I have just discovered this thread and have read frombeginning to end very carefully.

I am taken aback by the spontaneous mobilization andthe beauty of the project. I knew that our Forum had many passionate membersand many generous souls, but to this extent, I take my hat off to you ladiesand gentlemen.

For my part, I can only applaud and encourage you frommy distant Basque country, which for the past two days has been looking likethe Eastern front under five centimeters of snow.

Good luck and keep us updated. Thank you

Best regards

Jean Riotte

mounette_girl

Posté le 14-02-2010 à 19:34:50

Re : to all

Good evening Jean ! happy to see you in ourlittle corner of Lorraine.

As they say, there are some great people in our area.

And also on the Belgian border. Follow my eyes. Thoseof the Belgian trench.Walloons and Flemish, stand up straight again. I amtargeting you.

This project has been taken into solid hands, andcontinued to be it, for my greatest joy as an adopted Lorraine, at the same time being half Marseillaise, anda half champ ardennaise.

J
I deeply regret not to be able to handle the trowel, the brushcutter, or simplebrushes to clean up the stones. I can only go there (I hope) to encourage ourfellow workers next spring.

Of course, we will keep you updated. We can’t allow this thread to get lost. It will always come back to thesurface, I will make sure of that.

Best regards

Big grandmother Mounette.

mounette_girl

Posté le 20-03-2010 à 16:58:31

Yes, how happy I am.

Hey, I’m sending you a kiss.

Mounette

christophe schlegel

USPM

SPORTING UNION OF THE MARSEILLE POLICE ;

Si you are looking for me, I am already outside.

Sorry, it’s thewarmth of spring, see you soon

Best regards

Christophe Schlegel

Jeepgm

Posté le 21-03-2010 à 08:43:38

Hello to all of you

Union for the safeguarding of military heritage.

Best regards

mounette_girl

Posté le 21-03-2010 à 11:32:50

So Christophe,

What’s the point of sharpening your material andheating up the brushcutter, if you have already forgotten that the USPN, theassociation that you are helping (as you said previously) that it is the Unionof the Safeguarding of national heritage, newly presided by our dear Bernard(jeepgmc).

But today, I would really like to have some (verygood) news about Pascal’s (militarpass)who worked like a devil so that things would be done according to the rules.

Does anyone have any news?

Look above

http://pages14-18.mesdiscussions.n[...] htm#t12121

Pascal, where are you, please get in touch with me. Allmy best wishes for both of you.

Warm kisses to the community

Best regards

Mounette

#41 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hi mags
I have just read your last post, Mags is there much left to translate on the French Volunteers. I have been looking at the pictures with lots of snow on the ground, Then I spotted the guy with long beard. and here he is

regards
Ian

Attached Files

#42 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:00 PM

Hi Ian , I am about half way through, it is not very difficult, but there a few pages, so hope you are enjoying it
here is posting number thirteen
mags

Posting number thirteen

Christophe schlegel

Posté le 21-03-2010 à 14:43:54

Hello Mounette.

Always ready, as planned.

Sorry may brain is not used to going from -5 to +19 in afew days;

Look forward to seeing you on the site

Best regards

Christophe Schlegel

militarpas

Posté le 21-03-2010 à 15:37:54

Hello everyone

Hello Mounette

Thanks to Jean (Jean Riotte) for hisencouragements.

Hi, I am fine (lol behind the door to read the news).
My wife and I are fine, but since the end of her treatment for meningitis (morethan two months in total) which ended a few days ago, has sprung a problem ofdepression and that after stopping a long treatment of anxiety pills (that waspart of her treatment) but our doctor has taken things I hand (treatment fordepression) and now he has told us that although it took a long time in goingaway, that things should go better.

In any case, my wife and I thank you forall your hearty wishes.

Otherwise, happy and pleased that ourfriend Bernard (jeepgmc) has taken up the presidency of the USPN again, as he was there from the very beginning, itwill be much better to retake from whereeverything stopped for Rembercourt.

In fact, as already part of theorgainisation (lol that wasn’t my strongpoint) it could be interesting that our friend has takenup the reins.

It would be good to be able to meet faceto face with the people who would like to come and participate, in brief,talking about who, what and how etc and (lol) as spring is coming, why not give a date to meet up for example atthe cemetery.

Best regards

Pascal

mounette_girl

Posté le21-03-2010 à 16:10:07

Re ;to all

Useless to say that I am delighted, youcan guess Bernadette and Ppascal.

Of course I will come and visit you all atRembercourt. Propose a date. I’ll be part of it. What do you think of our Manitou president.

But be aware, that I have already reserved(on principal) my 11 april afternoon with joel and his museum of Thiaucourt. AndI hope nothing will come between me and my project. With things like my walkingstick and me, anything can happen.

Best regards

Mounette

mounette_girl

Posté le22-03-2010 à 01:10:46

Hello again, or rather good night to oneand all.

DearFrederic, why didn’t you tell us earlier about your serious health problems.

You shouldnknow that we form (for the most part fortunately) a community of true friendsthat we stick together through thick and thin. And that we share everything,the good times and the bad times. How good it is to have friends.

I wish you with all my heart a complete and speedyrecovery. It’s certainly what everyone is thinking.

Weknow that you are ready to give a hand at Rembercourt, we know it, but but jumpthe gun, if you are not quite up to it physically. Especially do not doanything stupid; As for me, I will just be a busybody,, just occasionally, buteveryone knows it, and I don’t t think anyone blames me for it.

Hopingto catch a glimpse of you before June inour Rember, you can count on myfriendship.

Mounette

#43 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:43 PM

here again,
posting number fourteen
mags

Posting number 14

Nono26

Posté le23-03-2010 à 23:47:50

Goodevening everyone

If byand chance, the action date could be situated before or after the weekend in Argonne, the 22 and 23 of May, I couldmanage to be there, which I would love to do.

Bestregards

Nono

Postingnumber fourteen

mounette_girl

Posté le30-03-2010 à 20:50:29

Good evening to everyone

A lot of people are impatient, aren’tthere Nono.

So Bernard and Pascal, do you have a date.

I haven’t to wish, of course, since Ican’t be part of the worker restorers of the cemetery;

But if it was on the 24th ofMay, then I wouldn’t be able to come and embrace you all.

Because that days is WhitMonday, and asmuch as I would like to come to Rembercourt sur mad, I will be stuck in afamily party to celebrate my ninetieth

Birthday (unfortunately just in the streetbelow).

Keep us updated.

Best regards

Mounette

mireille sauer

Posté le30-03-2010 à 20:55:19

Hello everyone

ThankyouMounette for having pushed this thread back up, I ve been looking for it for awhile on the Forum, what you want, Mounette finds it.

Wonderful

Good evening

Mireille

Militarpas

Posté le30-03-2010 à 21:54:26

Helloto one and all.

For adate from my side, nothing very precise, in fact I was waiting for our friendBernard (jeepgmc) president of the USPM take over everything again, if ofcourse he is interested and he agrees.

And so,if ok he proposes a date, to see each other to be able to talk for a while ordirectly restart the cleaning up and putting back into good shape.

Bestregards

Pascal.

Jeepgmc

Posté le31-03-2010 à 12:20:01

Hello militarpas,hello Mounette, hello everyone

Asindicated above, I not only took care of the Military heritage, I am alsoPresident Founder (for 28 years) of a local shooting association.

For thepast five weeks, we have been working hard on developing a 200m shooting stand,I have been involved totally for these past five weeks and for more than a yearon the subject. (Plans, requests for technical information, miscellaneousmeetings etc)

I retookthe Presidency of the USPM, because if I hadn’t, it would have broken up, atthe time I had taken commitments regarding our lady honorary President (thedaughter of and American pilot whose B17 crashed on the village territory in1943),, and I wanted to assure what would become of the USPM;

For themoment, I am a bit over busy, and haven’t the intention of retaking theinitiative of prolonging the work carried out at the time in this cemetery ofRembercourt, but I want to come and help you with those of my association whowould like to help to.

When youhave decided on a date, I will communicate it to the members of the USPM, andas I said above I would be happy to give a helping hand since you have had thegood initiative to want to continue the ongoing work.

I am at your service, (for the moment atleast.

Best regards to all

#44 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

last posting for tonight
mags

posting number fifteen

Posting number fifteen

christopheschlegel

Posté le14-04-2010 à 11:58:50

Helloeveryone

So, onSunday the weather will be beautiful.

At yourpleasure

ChristopheSchlegel

Militarpas

Posté le17-04-2010 à 10:58:27

Hello Christophe

Hello to one andall.

Effectively, theweather forecast for tomorrow is wonderful weather, but for us, we are not available.

(like what)

On the other hand,as I had told you, concerning myself, I am far from indispensable on site,I am only the element who launched theproject (or took the initiative to relaunch the project) and thus avolunteer just like all the others whofeel like doing volunteer work.

So if someone wantsto organize an outing or to go go alone to spend a few hours to look after theroots, brambles, leaves (of course done in a correct way) there are frankly noworries.

If , on site thereare questions, it would be sufficient to talk about the ongoing project via theforum, the mayor is aware.

And about goingalone (the proof) there is a man (veryfriendly) who contacted me to tell me that he was going to visit Rembercourt inthe days to come, to realize exactly the state of the wall and eventually tobegin with to spray a product to kill the roots which have arisen in the joints.

Best regards

Pascal

e-Storial Posté le 21-04-2010 à 12:41:18

Ihave just carried out a visit on the site. Report

Enter

Pooscondition, broken stones, do as before grouting, lightweight upper chaining tolink all.

Seeoriginal posting for photo

Photonumber one

Thepart indicated by the arrow above.

In myopinion is irrecoverable – you can see through the wall and the wall is readyto collapse, moreover the volume of the material to take away is quite big, for the stones are crumbling and irrecoverable.

Photonumber two

Zone tobe cleaned, - cleaned with a circular saw but this kind of intervention won’tbe sufficient to treat the problem except if the roots of the trees are removed– to leave the ivy on top of the small wall, cut the roots at the base of thewall and to treat the flat part asbelow.

Photonumber three

Lightcleaning up and rooting out the ivy on the ground (only remove the biggestpieces) because it gives quite a decorative effect, and smothers the rest ofthe weeds, and there is no question of making it into a green space.

Photonumber four

Toppart of the cemetery on the left and the right, which are in quite a goodcondition, can wait, just a few jointing, cut the ivy following the dottedline, plan a scaffolding, later plan chain sawing.

Photonumber five

On myside I go regularly to rembercourt and because it is so near to where I live(five kms), I risk doing a few jobs in my spare timebut cannot participate inany meetings on the site at weekends before summer comes. In any way, there isno point in panicking because for one part of the wall, it is already too lateand for the rest, there is nothing catastrophic, the most urgent, is to do aminimum,to maintain the present state. Look forward to hearing from you.

Bestregards

JFGenet

#45 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hi Mags

Thanks for Posting no 15

Best regards
Ian

#46 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:27 PM

here again, mags
posting number sixteen

Posting number sixteen

christopheschlegel

Posté le21-04-2010 à 18:04:50

Hello Jean Francois

Thank you forthese photos which tell me more about what material to bring.

I don’t knowwhat the weather forecast is for Sunday yet?

Will justhave to wait.

Best regards

ChristopheSchlegel

e-Storial

Posté le21-04-2010 à 19:30:15

Good evening, just an observation and someadvice for those tempted to act (see something about this suject, my posting ofthe day « neighbourhood on news. The valley is very narrow and the noisecarries very easily, I wonder if the noises of the chainsaws and trimmers willbe allowed on Sundays? The houses are very near.

Best regards

JFG

Jeepgmc

Posté le01-06-2010 à 13:07:30

Helloeveryone

Summer is nearlyhere, I went to Rembercourt, not many volunteers came to show how devoted theywere.

As I have alwayssaid, you need a Chief in the restoration of heritage as when at war, the foot soldiers do not advance on their owninitiative. They wait for orders. I hadbeen led to believe that that you hadfound a leader for the work at the cemetery at Rembercourt

FVB

Posté le01-06-2010 à 19:36:25

Helloeveryone

I livein the Pas de Calais, if the site was twenty kms away, I would surely be there.

I amgoing to criticize, in any action, there are always plenty of volunteers butwhen the day comes, these volunteers are always missing, and it’s always the same people who are there. Such a shame.

FinallyI hope this cleaning up will happen.

Goodevening

Fvb

militarpas

Posté le02-06-2010 à 00:38:35

Hello

LastSunday, coming home from Thiaucourt (6.30pm) , being in the area, I took the opportunity of stopping-off atRembercourt to see how the vegetation had grown because I had planned to pay avisit shortly.

If not,about a leader being refound, in my case, I have written several times I am avolunteer in the same way and at the same level as everyone else, being the leader, it’s not really my cup of tea.

Mycollaboration with the project, to have taken the step to act in good form, everyone could havestuck to it, and if I dit it, it was to revive the project and make it moveforward, instead of just talking about it as what was happening. In brief mycommitment to have raised the project is in the same way than to go from timeto time when it is suitable for me and to work alone or work with company.

Irepeat from time to time when it suits me. Because although I am not a member of any association the free time(weekends) are share (I’m marrie, I have children, and I am not the ungrateful or selfish kind to choos all the free time) especially sinceI am not retired (that is quite far off).

Andfinally, I’m not local to the area, 50 km separate me from Rembercourt, so otreally so easy to go there during the week after work.

To sumup, to work, you don’t really need a Chief or an association, where you want togo, you go, and and you bring your stone to the building (as JFG did in hisreport, thanks for that.)

Personally,I am going back on what I said or undertook, my passion is my passion, I just have to make it fit in with myprofessional and family life.

Bestregards

Pascal

#47 Jim Smithson

Jim Smithson

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,527 posts
  • Interests:Arras + Somme

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:59 PM

Really interesting thread. I checked a few names randomly taken from the stones in the photos and they are, as thought, listed on the Volksbund site as being in the Germany cemetery at Thiaucourt-Regniéville. Great work none-the-less in ensuring the survival of what remains a memorial.

Jim

#48 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

last posting for tonight
Posting number seventeen

Posting number seventeen

e-Storial

Posté le 02-06-2010 à 08:56:11

Here is an answer that suits me fine,because it deals with the purpose of transmissionofmemory.And on that everyoneis agreed., Bernard, who in his time, and with his association were able tofree this place and bring it out of its dead vegetation., so well indeed thatMounette, Pascal and myself and others perhaps were able to rediscover it.

Pascal can be congratulated on putting theproject on legal channels, me, by living close the the place I could spend timeand modestly start doing some of the work - finding and spreading of a product condemned by environmentalists butunfortunately washed by the continual rain that we have been subjected to – andthat this commitment will continue to exist, but as I said, the memories arenumerous, not exclusively to the Great War and there are priorities.

For my part, since the end of winter, weare preparing an event on Lorraine frontier rnners, event in two secondary schools on the same subject- sort of open day on a forgottensubject of deportation while receiving two classes of third and fourth years inthe filed – preparation of an outing next weekend on the concrete frontier inGermany on the coasts of the Moselle – preparation of heritage day 2010 – finalization ofmemorial films – preparation of a national Assembly on an Franco Africanproject concerning colonization, plus a project in conjunction with the memorial of Schirmeck on theAnnexation – among other things, and for example, many of of us will recognize thetempo and to which the differentvolunteers suche as Bernard, Pascal and others are submitted to.

So no need for busybodies, but encouragement, not raving. Let’s not forget thatthat all artists need to flourish is applause.

Best regards

JF Genet

Militarpas

Posté le 15-06-2010 à 00:11:35

Hello to one and all

Could anyone tell me where this photo camefrom

See original posting for photo;

Does it come from a book and if so whichone?

Or is it a postcard (in that case, wasthere any writing on it?

Who put it on line in the first place, I havetakenit from a string, but can no longer find the original posting.

Best regards

Pascal.

christophe schlegel

Posté le 08-07-2010 à 21:22:40

Helloeveryone

I willbe on the site tomorrow afternoon to start the cleaning.

Ifanyone wants to join me, I will we there at between 2h15 and 2h30 pm.

(warmly) Greetings

ChristopheSchlegel

Bonjour à toutes et tous.

mounette_girl

Posté le08-07-2010 à 21:48:44

Goodevening Christophe,

I thoughtfor a moment I might be seeing things.

I takemy hat off to outo be brave enough to go do Rembercourt tomorrow during thisheatwave.

I wouldlove to be able to help you, as you can imagine, if only I were a few yearsyounger.

So onceagain, bravo

Veryaffectionately

Mounette

#49 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,910 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thanx mags, a truly devoted bunch restoring the memory place

#50 magscotabroad

magscotabroad

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:40 PM

hello once again, here is posting number 18
mags

Posting number eighteen

Militarpas Posté le08-07-2010 à 22:16:47

Hello to one and all.

It’s a pity but I won’t be ableto come as I am working, if not I would have gladly joined you;

That said, for me it wasplanned.... the cleaning has already started, effectivedly I have already beenthere for four complete afternoons.

I have already done the part ofthe first stage, well started the left side (section A) and practicallyfinished the right side (section B) and I have (with my wife) regrouped all thestones of the first level.... in the same spot, I just have to evacuate what Ihave cut, branches, ivy, roots etc.)

So you have an example, tocontinue along the same line.

For all that it is hot work (lol)i confirm .... sweat guaranteed.

Best regards

Pascal.

See original posting for originalphotos.

mounette_girl

Posté le 08-07-2010 à 23:42:27

Good evening Pascal

So, bravo to you and your wife. (I can deducethat your wife is much better now and Iam very happy about it.

Already four afternoons of work, that’swonderful ! Hats off.

It’s a pity it’s so hot, I would have comeand seen the work that was undertaken, but I can no longer envisage thetravelling, nor stand the heat.

As soon as the temperature goes down, Iwill come to Rember!

Who knows, perhaps I will have thepleasure of meeting one of you.

Thanks to all of you, men of good will.

And a big thankyou for the photos, Pascal.

Mounette

Militarpas

Posté le 09-07-2010 à 20:13:33

Hello Everyone

Hello Mounette

My wife has recovered, all is well. ThanksMounette, so nice for asking.

The day that you decide to go to Rember, ifit is a day that we are not working.(and we have nothing planned in advance) mywife and I will come to meet you, keep us informed (even by private message).

Today for lack of work (professional) Ishould not have gone there, but knowing that there is much to do at Rember, Imanaged to make arrangements exceptionally and i was able to meet our friend Christoph, and jean Francoi, who has beenfollowing the thread and who equally came to participate the restart of thecleaning;

Today because of job (professional) I should not gothere, but knowing that there would be activity on the sideof Rember. I arrived to arrange myself exceptionally soI could stilljoin our friend Christophe, and Jean-François ... following thethread and who also came to participate in therecovery of cleanup

Otherwise, in fact it was hot ... (Given the evidence of Mr onthe picture) but despite the heat ... it is welladvanced, the little cemetery Rembercourt takes shape
If not effectively, it is hot (the proof of the clothing on the man inthe photo, work is going well, and the samll cemetery in Rembercourt isstarting to take shape

Bestregards

Pascal

Seeoriginal posting for photo.

mounette_girl

Posté le09-07-2010 à 20:46:54

Good evening .. especially to the threeworkers, and to you all of course.

I don’t knowhow you have been able to work in Rember in this oven !Me, I would faint!...

Yesterday, as my lift was broken dow, (once again, Iwas not able to get out to buy my supply of water. But today when I wentoutside, I nearly suffocated.

So I take my hat off to you gentlemen and thanks.

Of course when the temperature will be lower, I will announcemy visit.

Only, I am a little ashamed of having played thebusybody (of which someone was talking about recently, I don’t remember who°But too bad, I will warn you.

Best regards

Mounette

Militarpas

Posté le 14-07-2010 à 18:54:42

Good day to all of you.

As we had the time today, and nothing wasplanned, then I went with my wife to Rember. It wasn’t boiling, but it was hotall the same (32° without moving.

The external wall (right side) has beencompletely stripped of ivy and roots, with the cleaning of the lower part.

And section D has practically all beencut, all that is left to extract is a maximum of roots, that will be for thenext time.

Best regards

Pascal