8 replies to this topic

#1 Gnr242

Gnr242

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Genealogy

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Does anyone know anything about 19 Machine Gun Squadron's service in Egypt during 1917/18.
I think they were formed from the South Notts Hussars, and were part of 5 or 7 Mounted Brigade within Imperial Mounted Brigade.
I cannot find a single reference to them.
Thank's. Brian

#2 Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:The units that fought around Croisilles and Fontaine-les-Croisilles 1917-8,

The Universities and Public Schools Brigade Royal Fusiliers

Also the 'Immortals' of Festubert

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:59 PM

Brian

The 19th MG Sqn's war diary can be found at the national archives reference WO95/4518 (http://www.nationala...&accessmethod=0). Probably the best method of finding out more.

Kind Regards

Colin

#3 Gnr242

Gnr242

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Brian

The 19th MG Sqn's war diary can be found at the national archives reference WO95/4518 (http://www.nationala...&accessmethod=0). Probably the best method of finding out more.

Kind Regards

Colin

Thank you Colin I have contacted them they will send an estimate of cost.
I will let you know how I get on.
Take care.
Brian

#4 mrbmcl

mrbmcl

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 126 posts
  • Interests:The Queen's Own Royal Glasgow Yeomanry in the Great War

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:30 AM

Brian,

Earlier war diaries for the 19th Machine Gun Squadron are available on the website of the Australian War Memorial because they were part of the Australian Mounted Division (as the Imperial Mounted Division was renamed)

http://www.awm.gov.a...sp?levelID=1827

try this link

Michael

#5 mrbmcl

mrbmcl

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:43 AM

Brian

I believe that the 19th Machine Gun Squadron started out as the 16th Machine Gun Squadron being redesignated around September 1917 although I am not sure of the reason for this change.
16th MGS was formed in 5th Mounted Brigade in March 1917. It was formed from machine gun sections from the Hertfordshire Yeomanry, Glasgow Yeomanry, Royal Gloucestershire Hussars, Warwickshire Yeomanry, Worcestershire Yeomanry and 2nd County of London Yeomanry.

They were initially part of the Imperial Mounted Division which was renamed the Australian Mounted Division due to the mainly Australian make up of the units.

As I said many of the 19th MGS war diaries are online and you can also look at the 16th MGS on the same site. The Australian Official History of the First World War (available on the same site) will give good information on the movements of the Australian Mounted Division and the 5th Mounted Brigade.

Hope this helps

Michael

#6 gunner parr

gunner parr

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

The 16 Squadron in Palestine was renamed 19 Squadron because another 16 Squadron had been formed in Mesopotamia in 1916 around the MG Section of the 13 Hussars. I have seen references to '16th (Imperial) Squadron' for the Imperial Mounted Brigade Squadron.

#7 mrbmcl

mrbmcl

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for clearing that up. Having two 16 Machine Gun Squadrons in the Middle East must have caused some confusion!

#8 Gnr242

Gnr242

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hello Michael and Sgt-Major.

Thank you for this information. I have been going round in circles for the last two weeks and getting nowhere.
Getting help from this forum was my last chance saloon.
I will follow up on your advice and report back.
Thank you both again.
Take care.
Brian

#9 Gnr242

Gnr242

Corporal

• Members2
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:59 AM

Looking at the War Diaries 16th's diary seems to finish in September 1917 and the 19th's starts on the 1st of November 1917.

At the end of the war soldiers serving with the 20th MG Sqn ( when it was disbanded) were sent to 19th MG Sqn.
Brian