5 replies to this topic

#1 Sepoy

Sepoy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Dear Forum Members

I am currently researching 2nd Lieutenant Harry Alfred Pattman who initially served in the 1st Birimingham Battalion (as 776 Private) and then the 2nd Birmingham Battalion.

I understand that the "The Birmingham City Battalions Book of Honour" by Bowater has photographs of each Platoon of the Birmingham City Battalions, and I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help me with details of his Platoon and possibly a scan of the relavant photograph.

Pattman was educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham, but I have failed to track down any school register detailing his time there. Again, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Sepoy

#2 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
  • Interests:Birmingham and the Great War
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:00 PM

Contact Terry Carter author of the excellent 'Birmingham Pals' and a member of the GWF

#3 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:07 PM

The roll of men granted a commission lists him as serving with the 1st Bn, the 14th:

14/776 Pattman, H. A. 14/10/14

Comrade in arms of my great-grandfather - see signature!

Can't see him in the lists of men - perhaps seeing his commission was in Oct 1914, he wasn't with the battalion when the list was compiled or the photos taken?

Alan is right - Terry C is your expert - I'm a dilettante!!

Good luck

#4 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,120 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

However - 'The Service Record of King Edward's School Birmingham' has listed under record of service:

PATTMAN, H. A. (1902-9, y)
Oct. 1914 Sec. Lt., 15 R. War. R. Nov. 1915 Lt., 17 Bn. May
1916 Lt., A.S.C., M.T., Ireland. 1918 R.A.S.C, Workshop Off.,
France.

Looks like plenty of leads there...

#5 Sepoy

Sepoy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:20 AM

Simon and Alan

Thank you so much for your help. I have a copy of his Service Papers and was attempting to fill a few holes.

I was just hoping that the Birmingham Book had a photo of him, but I will take your advice and contact Terry later this week. Unfortunately, Pattman is not mentioned in his book.

Many thanks

Sepoy

#6 themonsstar

themonsstar

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,560 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 06:35 AM

Morning Sepoy

I've been through my book twice, once by number and the second time by name, and can not see him on the 14th, 15th or 16th Battalion, or any of the attachments. I would definitely agree with Simon, and drop Terry a line.

However, if someone does uncovering on a page I'm more than happy to send you a copy.