Photo

Latin on war memorial

7 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBully

MichaelBully

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,036 posts
  • Interests:Priority for the remainder of Spring 2014 is to try to get the 'Great War at Sea Poetry' project off the ground.
    http://greatwaratsea.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:37 PM

The pulpit at St. Andrews Church , Waterloo Street, Hove which is also a war memorial-see picture in thread below.

There is a Latin phrase on it:
- --
Non Enim Nosmetipsos Predicanus Sed Iesvm XPM dnm. nostrum

I
take it that XPM and dnm are abbreviations.

Can anyone translate? Many thanks
Michael Bully

http://1914-1918.inv...1

#2 ulsterlad2

ulsterlad2

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,789 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:44 PM

Online translation of Non Enim Nosmetipsos Predicanus Sed Iesvm XPM dnm. nostrum

comes back as But the lord Jesus Christ, the preacher, not for ourselves. our

#3 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

But the lord Jesus Christ, the preacher, not for ourselves. our = Google translate

dnm = 'domine'?

Not for ourselves Lord Jesus, but for thy word? Guessing....

#4 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,129 posts
  • Interests:Worcestershire Regiment, Birmingham Pals, Worcestershire Yeomanry at Qatia, 23rd April 1916, 244th Siege Battery RGA

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:14 PM

Got it!!
2 Corinthians 4:5
Vulgate : Non enim nosmetipsos prędicamus, sed Jesum Christum Dominum nostrum: nos autem servos vestros per Jesum:
King James: For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord; and ourselves your servants for Jesus' sake.

#5 Mark Hone

Mark Hone

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,307 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:32 PM

Unfortunately she is currently unavailable for consultation, but I shall ask 'Superlatina' (AKA Mrs H.) to confirm this tomorrow.

#6 Simon_Fielding

Simon_Fielding

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,129 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Good idea - all via the web: I'm secure on the KJB but my Latin is very definitely of the Asterix the Gaul variety!

Vale

Simon

#7 seaJane

seaJane

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,597 posts
  • Interests:The West Africa squadron in the 1840s; naval medicine; First World War, especially in poetry, art and fiction

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:14 AM

Anyone wanting Latin translation is always welcome to PM me - I have it to A level, plus a paper on medieval Latin as part of my English degree, not to mention working with it as a rare books cataloguer.

Michael - you're quite correct that XPM & dnm are abbreviations - XP = Greek Chi-Rho (first two letters of CHRist), then the last consonant M to indicate the declension, in capitals by convention. And likewise dominum.

I also see that you've spotted from the KJV that it was pr[a]edicamus rather than pr[a]edicanus.

#8 MichaelBully

MichaelBully

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,036 posts
  • Interests:Priority for the remainder of Spring 2014 is to try to get the 'Great War at Sea Poetry' project off the ground.
    http://greatwaratsea.blogspot.co.uk/

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Thanks ever so much, really appreciated. As the pulpit serves as a war memorial, was wondering if the Latin phrase was something to do with remembrance, but it seems if it relates more to the pulpit, rather than the memorial.
Regards to you all
Michael Bully