16 replies to this topic

#1 Scobie

Scobie

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:14 PM

Hello everyone.

One of the men that I have been researching served with the 51st Royal Sussex in Germany during 1919 as part of BAOR. What I am looking for are a few representative photos of the British forces in locations out there at that time. If anyone can post any relevant photographs, or know of a website where I can find some, that would be most useful. I have a few illustrations in books I possess as a last resort, but they never reproduce as well.

Many thanks to you all.

Regards,
Scobie

#2 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,319 posts
  • Interests:concert parties; Salonika esp. 7th OBLI; arts in WW1; my cats; Save the Strays; Northampton Saints RFC

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Scobie,

Don't know if this helps at all, but the orchestra of the 51st Battalion Royal Sussex played at a concert given by the Wobbly Warblers on 6th May 1919 at the YMCA Hall, Neunkirchen. The evening also included a Charlie Chaplin film on the bioscope.

Do you have any names for 51st RSR? I do not have a unit for the Wobbly Warblers, but they performed under the patronage of Lt Col VTR Ford DSO, and by kind permission of Capt Lawson.

#3 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Hello everyone.

One of the men that I have been researching served with the 51st Royal Sussex in Germany during 1919 as part of BAOR. What I am looking for are a few representative photos of the British forces in locations out there at that time. If anyone can post any relevant photographs, or know of a website where I can find some, that would be most useful. I have a few illustrations in books I possess as a last resort, but they never reproduce as well.

Many thanks to you all.

Regards,
Scobie

Scobie,

These photographs may be of interest to you.
The first photograph shows British Army of the Rhine tanks on patrol in Cologne
Regards,
LF

Attached Files

#4 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:10 AM

German children play in a vehicle driven by a driver with the Royal Army Service Corps in Cologne.

Attached Files

#5 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:13 AM

British Troops parade in Bonn.

Attached Files

#6 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

British troops setting up barricades on The Hohenzollern Bridge in Cologne.

Attached Files

#7 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

British troops setting up barricades on The Hohenzollern Bridge in Cologne.

Attached Files

#8 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:41 AM

British Army of the Rhine troops and tanks in front of Cologne Cathedral 1919.

Attached Files

#9 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:56 AM

Sir William Robertson, C in C., British Army of the Rhine ( BAOR ) 1919-1920, takes the salute during a vist by Foch to Cologne. The Hohenzollern Bridge in the background.

Attached Files

#10 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:01 AM

Sir William Robertson, C in C., British Army of the Rhine ( BAOR ) 1919-1920, with Joffre on a formal visit to British-held Cologne.

Attached Files

#11 Scobie

Scobie

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:12 AM

Good morning to you all.

Pte 28894 Percy Harden was born late in 1899 and was therefore called up too late to serve in a fighting battalion overseas. He did, however, serve as a member of the 51st Royal Sussex with the BAOR in Germany between April and July 1919. The battalion then returned to Britain, to Ripon in Yorkshire, where Percy succumbed to meningitis in December of that year. His body was returned to Kent and lies in the local churchyard at Warehorne. Although he was never in battle, he appears on the CWGC site, and his name is on the War Memorial in the local church.

In view of his short life and wth no service record available, there is only a very limited amount of information available on the life of Percy Harden. Hence my request for the BAOR photographs.

Thank you both for your kind responses, and particularly the fine selection of photographs depicting the kind of scenes Percy would have seen in Germany, and which I will now add to his file.

Best regards, along with my thanks,
Scobie

#12 mandy hall

mandy hall

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 877 posts
  • Interests:7th Battalion Royal Sussex Regiment

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Interesting photos LF. My grandad (see signature) served with the BAOR, before going to Ireland and eventually leaving the army in 1925.

Mandy

#13 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,178 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:59 AM

Here are more pictures from mentioned event in Köln

#14 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,108 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Here are more pictures from mentioned event in Köln

Egbert,
Great selection of photos.
Leo

#15 Scobie

Scobie

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hello all.

Thanks for the additional photographs. I am now in the happy position of being spoilt for choice.

It is also very satisfying that this subject has proved to be of interest to others.

Best regards to all,
Scobie

#16 Louise19750

Louise19750

Private

• Members2
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Hello All

I am new to this forum, so apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong area!

A long story short...

My husbands g-grandmother was from Cologne, I believe she was Jewish (Else Katharina Kohlbach). She gave birth to a baby boy in July 1920, however on the ancestry certificate I was able to get a copy of the father is not listed, however it states the child was given the surname of the "mother's husband" which was Willcocks. I do know Willcocks was British and we believe he was from Richmond Nth Yorkshire, and was serving in Cologne with the BAOR.

Willcocks, his new wife Else (Olga), her mother and the baby returned to Britain in 1925. I don't know any more than this other than the 'baby' went on to fight in WW2 for the British (against the Germans, which was ironic considering where he was born).

Does anyone know if I can get a detailed list of the soldiers in each regiment that served in the BAOR around this time, to find out more about Willcocks?

Does it seem logical that this soldier gave his surname to this woman's child, married her and took her back to England in 1925, I thought there would have been a lot of anti-German sentiment in Britain at this time?

Quite the mystery, any information or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Louise

#17 TEW

TEW

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:62nd Division. 185th & 187th Infantry Brigades, 2/5th KOYLI, 2/6th West Yorks, 2/4th KOYLI, 8th West Yorks, 5th Devons

Posted 27 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I have a few images of BAOR 62nd Division, 5th Devons. Muddershiem, Schwerfen, Disternich & Mulheim.

Have a look HERE and move forward for 10 images. And HERE for 3 of football at Disternich, 5th Devons Vs 8th West Yorks.

TEW

Not sure why but a few aren't showing up, try also HERE may get some duplicates.