9 replies to this topic

#1 jscott

jscott

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 565 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:13 PM

Hi all

I dont normally collect this sort of thing, but I recently acquired a trench map showing the Somme (trenches corrected to 24 July 1916). I understand that it belonged to an adjutant of the Sherwood Foresters, and there are additional markings in blue showing the adjusted lines to 30 July 1916 (around the area of Bazentin and towards Pozieres). I will put up some photos over the next few days in case anyone is interested.

As an aside, does anyone know the best way to care for old trenchmaps? Would an acid free frame/ backing be OK? Presumably best to keep out of direct sunlight etc as well?

Thanks, Jonathan

#2 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:33 PM

As an aside, does anyone know the best way to care for old trenchmaps? Would an acid free frame/ backing be OK? Presumably best to keep out of direct sunlight etc as well?

Thanks, Jonathan

Hi
Don't frame it! If it's the conventional folded item with the squares on the front, keep it out of sunlight; if it's paper or non-conventional cloth-backed I roll mine and keep them in a tube. If you have a map drawer open it up and lay it flat. Constant folding and unfolding can weaken the creases
Regards
Martin

#3 jscott

jscott

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 565 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks Martin. I'm afraid it is already framed (it came in a very old wooden frame). Its in reasonably good condition with a few little holes in a few of the crease marks. Presumably if its already displayed this way it may be best to transfer to an acid free frame and keep out of the sun - presumably this is the real killer?

Also I noticed on receipt that the trench systems around Delville Wood and High Wood (which were drawn on by hand on 30 July 1916) are very detailed and the names of the trenches/ saps are annotated. Looks like a great research opportunity.

Thanks, Jonathan

#4 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• R.I.P.
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:56 PM

Hi
Even if it's already been framed I'd take it out. It's an original, historic document and you are now its custodian, so that's quite a responsibility. If it has manuscript additions, all the better, makes it unique and, more importantly, it's been used.
Sounds like a very nice item so look after it well
Best wishes
Martin

#5 jscott

jscott

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 565 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:42 PM

Martin, thanks for your advice, I think I will do as you say and remove it from the frame. I have taken the back off the frame and the reverse of the map looks much older than the map itself (on the inside). Shows what exposure will do to the inside in time.

It really is a fascinating piece of history.

Thanks. J

#6 dave jarvis

dave jarvis

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 99 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:10 PM

hi jonathan. If you could post a photograph of the document I would like to have ago at overlaying it onto Google Earth. Cheers, dave

#7 Terry Carter

Terry Carter

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Would like to see the High Wood/Wood Lane areas of the map if possible.
thanks
Terry

#8 jscott

jscott

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 04:46 PM

Hi guys, I have taken your advice and removed from the frame. Ive just taken some photos which I hope are helpful - the markings are in pencil (blue for the trenches) and is a little small and faint. I have enhanced the photos and this has made the pencil much clearer (although gives the map a slightly odd look!)

J

#9 jscott

jscott

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 565 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:12 PM

Apologies all, despite cropping etc I still cannot post these photos due to their size. Dave/ Terry - if you'd like to PM me your email addresses I will send them to you that way. Dave I would love to see any overlays that you are able to put together. Wood Lane is clearly marked (along with 20 or so trenches in the vicinity).

#10 Verrico2009

Verrico2009

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

Happy to host them on my Flickr account, if it helps?