#1 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:11 PM

Helena Ferris
Maud Simpson

Both woman are on A roll of Honour in a Armagh Church 1914-18.
I cannot find any record of service.
Any advice?
Many Thanks
Joe

#2 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

Helena Ferris was a cook with the Girton Newnham Unit of the Scottish Women's Hospital in Salonica between June and December 1918. Working in this capacity wouldn't qualify her for CWGC status.

Sue

#3 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 10:19 PM

Helena Ferris was a cook with the Girton Newnham Unit of the Scottish Women's Hospital in Salonica between June and December 1918. Working in this capacity wouldn't qualify her for CWGC status.

Sue

Hello Sue
Thank you for your help,that is a very good site you have set up.
I am researching Armagh people in the Great War and there is quite a few females on Rolls of Honour,but very few service records for them.
Joe

#4 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:56 AM

Sue

The only Helena Ferris that I have been able to find in the 1911 Irish census under Armagh is that of Helena Ferris (Head of Family) living in North Tannaghmore, Cornakinnegar, Co. Armagh. She was aged 34 with six children aged from 15 years down to 1 year. I cannot see her as being the one who went off to Salonica leaving such a young brood. There was a Lorna Ferris who died in Serbia in 1915 whilst serving with the Serbian Relief Fund.

#5 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

The Maud Simpson shown is likely to be the Maude Simpson shown in the 1911 Irish census. She was a school mistress living in the school’s boarding quarters at the Royal School, Armagh. She is aged 47 having been born in India and is now a widow.

#6 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:38 PM

The Maud Simpson shown is likely to be the Maude Simpson shown in the 1911 Irish census. She was a school mistress living in the school's boarding quarters at the Royal School, Armagh. She is aged 47 having been born in India and is now a widow.

Thanks Jim
it is a possible that this Maude Simpson could be the one I am looking for.
Joe

#7 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,338 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

Joe

There's a good chance of finding some details for women who served with the British Red Cross Society or Order of St. John, and there are service records at The National Archives for about three-quarters of the trained nurses who served with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service and the Territorial Force Nursing Service. However, beyond that it's very unlikely that you will find any sort of service record for women who served with the many voluntary organisations - they were civilians and will not have any military records. These organisations were usually self-regulating and although they must have kept records at the time, there's not much to show that these survive. The Imperial War Museum Women's Work Collection does hold a wealth of paperwork relating to the organisations, but I just don't think 'service records' for civilians were much in evidence.The information on Helena Ferris comes from a list of members of the Scottish Women's Hospital held at the Imperial War Museum. It might still be worth an enquiry to the BRCS Archives to check their records, in case either woman worked for them at any time during the war - women did tend to hop about from place to place. But I would think local newspapers have got to be the best bet.

BRCS Archives

Sue

#8 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:44 PM

Joe

There's a good chance of finding some details for women who served with the British Red Cross Society or Order of St. John, and there are service records at The National Archives for about three-quarters of the trained nurses who served with Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service and the Territorial Force Nursing Service. However, beyond that it's very unlikely that you will find any sort of service record for women who served with the many voluntary organisations - they were civilians and will not have any military records. These organisations were usually self-regulating and although they must have kept records at the time, there's not much to show that these survive. The Imperial War Museum Women's Work Collection does hold a wealth of paperwork relating to the organisations, but I just don't think 'service records' for civilians were much in evidence.The information on Helena Ferris comes from a list of members of the Scottish Women's Hospital held at the Imperial War Museum. It might still be worth an enquiry to the BRCS Archives to check their records, in case either woman worked for them at any time during the war - women did tend to hop about from place to place. But I would think local newspapers have got to be the best bet.

BRCS Archives

Sue

Thanks Sue
The two local Armagh newspapers is where I get most of my information,
sometimes,some one reads the GWF,thats why I post on here,which is really good,because members will help with details if they have them.
I have a list of females who are on Church Rolls of Honour, but I do not know what they did in the Great War.That information could be lost for ever.
Joe

#9 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Armagh Guardian 19August 1916

Miss Maud Simpson daughter of the late Mr Robert Simpson Cavanacaw Armagh, has volunteered and been accepted for hospital work under the war office.

#10 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

Armagh Guardian 19August 1916

Miss Maud Simpson daughter of the late Mr Robert Simpson Cavanacaw Armagh, has volunteered and been accepted for hospital work under the war office.

Joe

Medal card of Simpson, Maud E
Corps
Regiment No
Rank
Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps 4874
Worker
Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/23

Medal card of Ferris, Helena
Corps
Regiment No
Rank
French Red Cross
Cook
Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/23

#11 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:21 AM

I think that it is very unlikely that the Maud E. Simpson with the Medal Index Card is the same as the Armagh one. The QMAAC were part of the Army and any death in harness would be properly recorded and subject to CWGC commemoration. It is far more likely that Maud was a VAD. The 1901 census shows the Simpson family but unfortunately Maud seems to have left home before the census date. I now no longer think that the Maude Simpson that I flagged as having been born in India, and a possibility, is relevant. Is it certain that these women died? I say this because the Presbyterian Church in Ireland produced a Roll of Honour 1914-19 (see http://freepages.gen...lly/rohpci.html). However, this is really a Roll of Service as a Roll of Honour normally commemorates those that served and died. The Armagh memorial may list all those that served and until we can see what names are on it to check we are stumped. Incidently, neither Ferris nor Simpson are on the Roll but it does show a 2nd Lieut Skelton Ferris, RAF and a Lieut. William Ferris, Black Watch (wounded). The address for William is The Mall, Armagh.

#12 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I think that it is very unlikely that the Maud E. Simpson with the Medal Index Card is the same as the Armagh one. The QMAAC were part of the Army and any death in harness would be properly recorded and subject to CWGC commemoration. It is far more likely that Maud was a VAD. The 1901 census shows the Simpson family but unfortunately Maud seems to have left home before the census date. I now no longer think that the Maude Simpson that I flagged as having been born in India, and a possibility, is relevant. Is it certain that these women died? I say this because the Presbyterian Church in Ireland produced a Roll of Honour 1914-19 (see http://freepages.gen...lly/rohpci.html). However, this is really a Roll of Service as a Roll of Honour normally commemorates those that served and died. The Armagh memorial may list all those that served and until we can see what names are on it to check we are stumped. Incidently, neither Ferris nor Simpson are on the Roll but it does show a 2nd Lieut Skelton Ferris, RAF and a Lieut. William Ferris, Black Watch (wounded). The address for William is The Mall, Armagh.

Hello Jim
Posted Image

Posted Image

I have posted both Roll of Honour Boards,but the Presbyterian site is a great help,Lt Ferris I have researched before,he joined the Black Watch before WW1 as a T.A, soldier in the Black Watch Coy from Ireland,this has been posted before.
Many Thanks Jim.

#13 Jim Strawbridge

Jim Strawbridge

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

Ah, a Roll of Honour that plainly shows that it commemorates "members of this congregation who volunteered and served in the Great War". That means that the Maud Simpson for whom you found a MIC may very well be the same one.

#14 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:35 PM

Ah, a Roll of Honour that plainly shows that it commemorates "members of this congregation who volunteered and served in the Great War". That means that the Maud Simpson for whom you found a MIC may very well be the same one.

Looks like it Jim.

#15 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Armagh Women 1914-18

From St Mark,s Armagh Church of Ireland Roll of Honour (Serving members)
Emily M. Whitsitt

Nannie E. Whitsitt

Armagh Gazette 24 August 1918

The name of Miss N.E. Whitsitt V.A.D. nurse in the1st Western General Hospital Liverpool, has been brought to the notice of the Secretary of State for War for valuable nursing services rendered in connection with the war.

Miss Whitsitt is a daughter of an esteemed Armagh citizen, Mr William Whitsitt. All the members of this family have done and are doing their bit for King and Empire.

#16 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

From Armagh Gazette dated 20-8-1915
More ladies, members of the St John,s Ambulance classes in connection with the UVF, have left for hospital training, were taking up Red Cross duty in military hospitals.

Miss Whitsett,

Miss Eva Watson,

Miss Eva Bedford

Mrs Lawless

Have all left Armagh.

#17 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

- Gertrude Bryans - Queen Alexandra’s Nursing Corp.

I am not sure of dates but she helped evacuate Britsh wounded during retreat from Mons and later was in charge of hospital ward in a military hospital in England.

I cannot find any record of service.
Any advice?
Many Thanks

Joe

#18 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

From Armagh Guardian 15 August 1918

Miss Maud Simpson, daughter of the late Mr Robert Simpson Cavanacaw Armagh

who is a member of the St John,s V.A.D. Newtownards 74,

has taken up military duty in Stockton.

Any one any details on what Maud Simpson was doing and is Stockton a military Hospital?

Many thanks

Joe

#19 ARMAGH

ARMAGH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

From Armagh Gazette dated 1 December 1917

Mrs Herron, wife of Major R.T .Herron R.A.M.C. has like her respected husband rendered valuable services to King and country.
She is now senior sister in the Military hospital for officers of the Royal Flying Corps at Hampstead, London and has been recommended for valuable services.

Major Herron is in charge of the Scottish Command Depot at Randalstown Antrim;

Any details on Major & Mrs Herron?

Many thanks

Joe

Reply to this topic