Photo

Albuera Cemetery

15 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts
  • Interests:The Cemeteries and Memorials of The Imperial War Graves Commission.
    The graves of the Known, and the Unknown ~ Sir Fabian AG Ware's Immortal Heritage.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Does anybody have any photos of the interior / headstone views at Albuera Cemetery which were taken say two to three years ago, or earlier ?

I'm looking for views where any headstone inscriptions (including unknowns) are at least vaguely discernable, and would stress that anything less than 2 - 3 years old is probably not going to help.

Please let me know if you have anything.

Tom

#2 Peter Woodger

Peter Woodger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,065 posts
  • Interests:The battle of The Somme and the cemeteries which hold the casualties

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Tom

I have a poor shot taken in 2002 which has little resolution but I show it anyrate.

Peter

Attached Files

#3 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts
    The graves of the Known, and the Unknown ~ Sir Fabian AG Ware's Immortal Heritage.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Peter - thanks. That is the front row (row G) of the south plot, and s*d's law being s*d's law its a shot which doesnt really help. The left hand end of the row behind (south plot, row F, graves 1 to about 6 or more) would be good for me, or more particularly the front row on the other side of the entrance gate, north plot row D graves 1 up to 10 or more.

Do you (or anybody else) have any more from this cemetery ?

(... I have quite a few views from several years ago and not one of them is "right" for what I need to see :angry2: )

Tom

#4 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:18 PM

I have this shot - but it is from May 2010. I presume that is too late? I also have a few headstone pictures - from the Special Memorial plot when you come in the entrance.

Attached Files

#5 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

I have this shot - but it is from May 2010. I presume that is too late? I also have a few headstone pictures - from the Special Memorial plot when you come in the entrance.

Jeremy - thanks. Ideally I'm looking for photos of Albuera pre Jan 2009, but later photos may still provide the information I'm looking for.

Your shot above is north plot row D, with grave No 1 being farthest from the camera. I suspect that the angle and distance from the camera are going to defeat me, but If I PM you an e-mail address could you possibly send me a copy of that photo in the highest resolution possible ?

Also, yes I am interested in the special memorials beside the entrance. Do you have anything showing the memorials to Privates Seeley and McKenna, and Able Seaman Millican ?

Thanks - Tom

#6 J Banning

J Banning

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:32 PM

I have a gravestone picture of McKenna's grave. CWGC have him as CE McKenna but his grave says GE McKenna. His grave has a lovely inscription. http://www.cwgc.org/...80/McKENNA, C E
I'll send them over by email.
JB

#7 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,511 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:36 PM

Tom, I only have a couple, looking from South I think towards the entrance, none of the stones inside the entrance.

Michelle

#8 Chalkhill Blue

Chalkhill Blue

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

North plot, Row D, 1-30, in October, 2009.

The stones are rather distant I'm afraid, but zooming in on the high resolution version I can just make out Smith on the partial stone 1.

Posted Image

If you think the high resolution file might be useful, let me know.

Bryan

#9 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:20 PM

North plot, Row D, 1-30, in October, 2009.
The stones are rather distant I'm afraid, but zooming in on the high resolution version I can just make out Smith on the partial stone 1.
If you think the high resolution file might be useful, let me know.
Bryan

Bryan - thanks for mailing the high resolution version. The first headstone on the left is Gunner FW Smith and the resolution is good enough for me to see the detail in that area of headstones which I need to see. Unfortunately this isnt resolving the situation though :(

Your photo was taken in October 2010, and I think I have to go back towards or before before my initial break point of January 2009.

Any more from the "archives" ? - Also, any other pre 2009 photos of the special memorials imediately inside the entrance gate ?

Tom

#10 Chalkhill Blue

Chalkhill Blue

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

That's a shame. I can't help with any more photos, Tom.

I'm intrigued by your conundrum and the significance of the January, 2009, cut-off.

I enjoy a good mystery - maybe something you'll be able to share sometime :unsure:

Bryan

#11 Nigel Cave

Nigel Cave

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 991 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Not relevant at all, but this cemetery suffered a dose of vandalism about ten (?) years ago - I arrived when they were putting it to rights.

#12 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:43 PM

That's a shame. I can't help with any more photos, Tom.
I'm intrigued by your conundrum and the significance of the January, 2009, cut-off.
I enjoy a good mystery - maybe something you'll be able to share sometime :unsure:
Bryan

Bryan - Jan 2009 is "significant" only because (prior to a couple of weeks ago) that was the last time I was inside Albuera and took any photos. It wasnt in very good shape at the time; there was a lot of hazard tape about, no gate, and various repairs going on.

Something has changed between then and now. I think I know what, but I need the "right" photos from before the repairs in order to be able to tie it down. Somebody, somewhere, has those photos !

Tom

#13 Bob B

Bob B

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 476 posts
  • Interests:D Battery 281 Brigade Royal Field Artillery (RFA) 56th (London) Division, then 312 Brigade in Germany.
    Mars Offensive 28/3/1918

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:18 PM

I have this one taken on the 90th anniversary of the Mars Offensive 28th March 2008.

The master is 3.9MB; you can see some inscriptions on those on the left near and rear. Let me know if you want a copy.

Bob

Attached File  British Cemetery Bailleul (600 x 450).jpg   75.8KB   0 downloads

#14 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:41 PM

I have this one taken on the 90th anniversary of the Mars Offensive 28th March 2008.
The master is 3.9MB; you can see some inscriptions on those on the left near and rear. ...

Bob - This will hopefully be helpful, thanks. I'll pm an e-mail address to send the full size copy to.

Tom

#15 Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,593 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

I have this one taken on the 90th anniversary of the Mars Offensive 28th March 2008. The master is 3.9MB; you can see some inscriptions on those on the left near and rear. Let me know if you want a copy.

Bob - thanks for mailing the enlarged copy. That, taken in 2008, at least determines that Able Seaman Millican's memorial was replaced (or refaced) after the vandalism of 2005 and not as a result of it. Probably part of the 2009 works.

What I'm really still looking for are images of the left end of the front row of the north plot and the left end of the second row of the south plot, pre January 2009 and also pre 2005.

If any of the video footage you mentioned elsewhere shoould come to light then please let me know.

Somebody, somewhere, has ...................

Tom

#16 Oliv62fr

Oliv62fr

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 170 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

I takes a little late
this conversation,
here is the only picture I did for this cemetery, it was
November 11, 2008 : http://www.panoramio.com/photo/15901711