Finding Medal Citation (Military Cross)

10 replies to this topic

#1 Perth Digger

Perth Digger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

I'm seeking advice on where to look for a medal citation, namely for an MC awarded to Flying Officer Guy Lindsay Cruikshank, of No. 70 Squadron. It was announced in The London Gazette on 23 June 1915, p. 6118, but there is no citation. Cruikshank was attached to the RFC from the Gordon Highlanders. I have his citation for the DSO, which he won in September 1915.

Thanks

Mike

#2 old owl

old owl

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

I'm seeking advice on where to look for a medal citation, namely for an MC awarded to Flying Officer Guy Lindsay Cruikshank, of No. 70 Squadron. It was announced in The London Gazette on 23 June 1915, p. 6118, but there is no citation. Cruikshank was attached to the RFC from the Gordon Highlanders. I have his citation for the DSO, which he won in September 1915.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many of these early M.C.'s do not have published citations, however it is sometimes possible to find information relating to such an award from either his squadron records or alternatively from local newspapers for the area where he lived, or even from his school magazine.

Good luck,

Robert

#3 Perth Digger

Perth Digger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks, Robert, for the advice. I did email his school, King's Rochester, but never got a reply.

I'll try to find 3 Squadron records.

Regards

Mike

#4 aglastonbury

aglastonbury

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 188 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Mike,

It could also be worth asking the Royal Regiment of Scotland if they have anything since his parent unit was the Gordon Highlanders. Through various amalgamations over the years they are now part of the 4th Bn Royal Regiment of Scotland

Alex

#5 Perth Digger

Perth Digger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 592 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

A good idea, Alex, thanks. Although he was one of the first group of RFC pilots to go to France in August 1914, his MC in the London Gazette was still given as if he were in the Gordon Highlanders.

#6 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hi Mike i think maybe officialy he was Gordon Highlanders attached RFC.At the time period in question 1915 i think his rank would not have been Flying Officer the army rank would apply as RFC was part of army.70 Squadron i beleive was not formed untill april 1916 so he was serving with another unit when he earned his award.john

#7 NigelP

NigelP

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 365 posts
  • Interests:The North & South Staffordshire Regiments and The Staffordshire Yeomanry.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:31 PM

His rank was Lt (Temp Captain) but a lot of the Gazette entries also refer to his role which was Flying Officer subsequently Flight Commander (Gazette's capitalisation - not mine)

Nigel

#8 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,034 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:35 PM

Have you seen his obit in 'Flight?'

http://www.flightglo...arch=Cruikshank

#9 Perth Digger

Perth Digger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:21 AM

Through the kindness of Chris Baker I now know that Cruikshank received his MC as part of the King's Birthday Honours List.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike

#10 rflory

rflory

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,771 posts
  • Interests:Twentieth Century Royal Artillery officers, especially for the Great War

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:55 AM

I just checked The Roffensian Regster from King's School, Rochester and his writeup there mentions his DSO and MC but does not indicate why he received either of them. Dick Flory

#11 Perth Digger

Perth Digger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 592 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 03:07 PM

Dear Dick
Thank you for that. I wrote to the school seeking information about Guy and his brothers Eric and Jasper. Guy and Eric certainly attended the school; I'm not sure about Jasper (the middle in age). I'd b very grateful if you could give me any information from the Register on these brothers.

Regards

Mike