Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:190th Brigade RFA
    2nd Btn Rifle Brigade
    DCLI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hello

This is my first post having recently found this site. Alongside Ancestry sites I have already found so much valuable information so I'm hoping you can help even more.

I'm researching my great uncle Rifleman Stanley Wake born in March 1896 and joined the Rifle Brigade in Wandsworth S W London Ist September 1914, his regimental number Z510. It seems he was first posted to 5th Battalion then the 1st before embarkation and transfer to the 2nd on 12th March 1915. He was reported killed / missing in action on 9th May 1915 and is remembered at the Ploegsteert Memorial. It seems likely that hewas killed at Aubers Ridge. I've read some excellent posts on the subject plus books by Edward Hancock and Adrian Bristow but I'd like to know more about the 2nd Rifle Brigade and how I might find further information about Stanley.

Many thanks Mal

#2 Chris_Baker

Chris_Baker

General

• Old Sweat
  • 13,474 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:00 PM

This gives you some background, Mal: http://www.1914-1918.net/bat11.htm

#3 gunnersdad

gunnersdad

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
    2nd Btn Rifle Brigade
    DCLI

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:30 PM

Thank you thatís most helpful - Mal

#4 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:14 AM

Hi
You need a couple more posts on the Forum then you can send messages to individual members. If you comment on a couple of threads and reach 5 posts (you 're on 3 at the moment) you can send me a personal message by clicking on "connaughtranger" and give me your email address. I'll send you an account of the battle that took place on 9th May and an accompanying map
Regards
Martin

#5 gunnersdad

gunnersdad

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
    2nd Btn Rifle Brigade
    DCLI

Posted 08 April 2012 - 05:23 PM

Martin

Thanks for the excellent material you sent regarding 2 Battalion Rifle Brigade at Aubers Ridge 9 May 1915. To take my research further I think it would be helpful to know which Company my great uncle was in on that day. Is that possible? I can't seem to see it on any of his records at ancestry.co.uk

Regards Mal

#6 connaughtranger

connaughtranger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:36 PM

Martin

Thanks for the excellent material you sent regarding 2 Battalion Rifle Brigade at Aubers Ridge 9 May 1915. To take my research further I think it would be helpful to know which Company my great uncle was in on that day. Is that possible? I can't seem to see it on any of his records at ancestry.co.uk

Regards Mal

Hi Mal
Only just spotted this message so I apologise for the delay in replying. Unhappily I can't help you with your uncle's company, but am sure there is someone here who can. Good luck with your research
Regards
Martin

#7 gunnersdad

gunnersdad

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 138 posts
    2nd Btn Rifle Brigade
    DCLI

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Thanks Martin I'll keep looking