77 replies to this topic

#51 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:21 AM

Tom,

Your work is brilliant. Thanks for sharing it!

I used to do 1" lead figures, but now face similar problems...so I can appreciate what you are talking about.

-Daniel

Thanks very much. I'm reading a lot of hopeful stuff about stem cells, so maybe soon we'll be able to regenerate our eyesight. If so, I've still got a closet full of airplanes, tanks, and figures that I'd like to build.

#52 geraint

geraint

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:4th RWF TF; Mametz Wood.

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Absolutely brilliant display Tom! Superb workmanship and eye for detail. Tommy on the Somme has caught the spirit of the age.Beautiful!

#53 compo sausage

compo sausage

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 56 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

Fantastic. And what a craftsman, thanks for sharing Tom and a very big well done.

If you dont mind me asking, at what age or when did you first start making models?

#54 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

Fantastic. And what a craftsman, thanks for sharing Tom and a very big well done.

If you dont mind me asking, at what age or when did you first start making models?

Thanks very much. I built models between the ages of five and 41. My very first model was a 1/72 Revell PZL P-11c that my father helped me build. I had a long hiatus from building while in college and then when I lived in Japan and San Francisco, working like a dog, and then I took it up again at the age of 29. All of the models you see in this thread were built when I was between 29 and 41. I'm 49 now, so it's been eight years since I stopped.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Revell PZL P-11c.

Attached Files

#55 ShirlD

ShirlD

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:17 AM

have much enjoyed going slowly through this thread, the attention to detail is fascinating, and i can see why Tommy at the Somme is a favourite.
Cross fingers with stem cell regeneration, every day there are advances in all areas that give good reason to hope
Cheers
Shirley

#56 better ole

better ole

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Family, Beer, Curry, Travel, music, crime/comedy/history books - not in any order.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Great work Tom. I wish I had your skills. I mess around with 1/6th scale but nothing like you have achieved. There are a couple of new models due out soon.

http://www.did.co/pr.../German/d11002/

http://www.did.co/pr...British/b11001/

These are not cheap but a basis to customise. Being bigger making new parts may be easier.

#57 Leigh Mc

Leigh Mc

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 110 posts
  • Interests:International Relations, History and Militaria.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Tom, I am in awe of your skill. You are (were) a top notch modeller.

#58 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Great work Tom. I wish I had your skills. I mess around with 1/6th scale but nothing like you have achieved. There are a couple of new models due out soon.

http://www.did.co/pr.../German/d11002/

http://www.did.co/pr...British/b11001/

These are not cheap but a basis to customise. Being bigger making new parts may be easier.

The German face is incredible. The only thing that bugs me about the 1/6 scale figures is the toylike quality of the uniform and equipment. The weave of the uniform is always so large. I've thought of scratch building in 1/6 scale, but it would require years of practice. Maybe I could buy commercial action-figure heads and cast them in resin.

I once ran across a forum composed entirely of 1/6th scale WWI figures, converted from commercially available products, but I can't find it now.

#59 ericthornton

ericthornton

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 178 posts
  • Interests:Drawing and painting military and fantasy pieces. Reading both historical factual and fiction works. World wars and Zulu War.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

Tom,

I can only add to the admiration of the other members. That is one incredible collection. The figures are superb but I was also taken by the detail of the surroundings. Top quality modelling. Thanks for sharing.

cheers, ET

#60 better ole

better ole

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 271 posts
  • Interests:Family, Beer, Curry, Travel, music, crime/comedy/history books - not in any order.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

http://onesixthnet.y...10/The-Trenches

This may be the site you looked at?

Agree about the weave on the uniform. A lot of the chaps on the web site above scratch make kit (kit bash being the term often used in the hobby)

http://www.antheads.co.uk/

This chap takes the hobby to a different level. His models are often to museum standard and highly accurate.

#61 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

http://onesixthnet.yuku.com/forums/10/The-Trenches

This may be the site you looked at?

Agree about the weave on the uniform. A lot of the chaps on the web site above scratch make kit (kit bash being the term often used in the hobby)

http://www.antheads.co.uk/

This chap takes the hobby to a different level. His models are often to museum standard and highly accurate.

Thanks for the links. You're right; those figures are terrific. Something to think about.

The site I saw was devoted entirely to WWI. It may already be gone.

#62 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:15th ( Carmarthenshire ) Battalion, Welsh Regt. Driven around the 15th Regt Cemeteries and Battle Fields. Been a collector WW1. Model maker of sorts.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

Hi Tom

Excelent detale Mate, really enjoyed looking at your dioramas :thumbsup: , Like you I started when I was kid, airfix and others, started again when I was 59, I have the same eye problem as you, and like you I can't use a magnifying glass, so I don't try to get to much detale in the faces as you have, the ones I have done that I 've enjoyed making the most, are made from what I can find around the house, pinch of the Grand children or from the garden, I've even used dirt mixed with PVA.

Regards.
Gerwyn

#63 compo sausage

compo sausage

Sergeant-Major

• Members2
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

Thanks Tom for getting back intouch, loved the history behind it all, wasn't being nosey

or anything like that, just interested in it all mate. Now eight years is some tea break,

get back to it before the glue goes hard.

Bob

#64 APB

APB

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 186 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Great work Tom and what a collection! Sorry to hear that your eyes let you down now, you have a lot of skill. Have you tried the magnification things that some modellers use? I've seen them at model exhibitions and in magazines. They could help you back to a hobby you obviously enjoyed. We've enjoyed looking at your work. Thanks for sharing it. Andy

#65 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:00 AM

Have you tried the magnification things that some modellers use?

Thanks for the nice compliments. When using magnifiers there was a depth-perception problem that made it impossible for me to judge how far the brush was from the little face I was painting. I used acrylics, which can't be blended, so I used a layering technique of building up shades with thinned paint. It required a lot of brush strokes, and I could never manage it with the magnifying ring or with the special magnifying lenses you wear over your glasses.

The secret is to miniaturize myself so the model and I will be the same size.

#66 THE SHINY SEVENTH

THE SHINY SEVENTH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,651 posts
  • Interests:7th (city of london) Battalion
    Researching the Rainham War Memorial

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

The secret is to miniaturize myself so the model and I will be the same size.

Tom, have you seen Willy Wonka, I think he invented a machine that might suit your purpose :P

#67 Verrico2009

Verrico2009

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Wonderful work, Tom. Incredible detail.

All my brothers are creative - the gene passed me by, unless you count knitting, which I also started when I was 5, and photography - one has concentrated on house renovation and now progressed to helping redesign an extension to his local church, the other two have been keen photographers but the one who was also an excellent model-maker has had to give both up due to severe arthritis (he started as a hobbyist and then blagged his way into projects that made working models of petrochemical plants). It's such a shame when it's no longer physically possible to enjoy hobbies that give such pleasure. It is to be hoped that the stem-cell processes become a reality for all patients.

#68 M.Davies

M.Davies

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:The Battle Of The Somme and finding as much information as i can about my grandmothers uncle who saw action in it.<br />

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:32 PM

Hello Tom. I would just like to say that you work is FANTASTIC!!!!!. Your attention to detail is just AMAZING especially in that scale.

I am model maker myself and I struggle to get the detail I want working in the bigger scales of "00" and 1/24 it is a real credit to you that you could turn out models like this.

Am very sorry to hear about your sight,even I have to wear glasses now working in these bigger scales.

Could I ask you a question,hope you don't mind. Are there any bigger scale WW1 kits on the market in the scales I work in or would I have to go down to 1/76 or 1/87. There seem to be a number of WW2 kits about that could be converted but I am not too hot on the kit bashing/scratch building scene.Any info you may have on this would be of interest to me. Many thanks.

Kindest regards Mark.

#69 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:09 AM

Hello Tom. I would just like to say that you work is FANTASTIC!!!!!. Your attention to detail is just AMAZING especially in that scale.

I am model maker myself and I struggle to get the detail I want working in the bigger scales of "00" and 1/24 it is a real credit to you that you could turn out models like this.

Am very sorry to hear about your sight,even I have to wear glasses now working in these bigger scales.

Could I ask you a question,hope you don't mind. Are there any bigger scale WW1 kits on the market in the scales I work in or would I have to go down to 1/76 or 1/87. There seem to be a number of WW2 kits about that could be converted but I am not too hot on the kit bashing/scratch building scene.Any info you may have on this would be of interest to me. Many thanks.

Thanks for the compliments. I appreciate them.

Verlinden has a few 1/16th scale figures:

http://www.verlinden...hp?cPath=16_119

Jon Smith Modelbau has some:

http://jsm.tuwhost.e...e_id=21&clang=1

The Imperial Gallery has a couple:

http://www.imperialg..._model120b.html

Citadel has a few:

http://soga-miniatur...=citadel-models

The best line of 1/24th scale WWI figures was The Fusilier, but it went out of business in 2008.

For large-scale aircraft, the best and most affordable is Wingnut Wings, run by director Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings, etc.)

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/

I don't know of any large-scale armor kits. Your best best is to go on eBay and look for out-pf-production models, because there don't seem to be many manufacturers doing WWI figures and armor these days except in wargaming scales.

#70 clarke

clarke

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Australian Imperial Force

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:32 AM

G'day Tom,

I remember some of your displayed models from military model magazines in the 1990's, some great work. I remember that they inspired me to attempt to keep trying with my own work. Thanks for the memories.

Cheers Clarke.

#71 M.Davies

M.Davies

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:The Battle Of The Somme and finding as much information as i can about my grandmothers uncle who saw action in it.<br />

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:01 PM

Hiya again Tom,

Just to say thankyou for listing a few model suppliers for me. Have bookmarked the sites so I can look at them in detail.

Thanks again Mark.

#72 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:12 AM

G'day Tom,

I remember some of your displayed models from military model magazines in the 1990's, some great work. I remember that they inspired me to attempt to keep trying with my own work. Thanks for the memories.

Cheers Clarke.

Thanks very much. That was a productive period for me. I'm glad you were inspired.

#73 80th division

80th division

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 159 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:25 PM

American BAR squad. Converted plastic WWII figures in 54mm.

I enjoyed viewing this thread and seeing your work.

The American soldier on the left reminds me of the American humorist/commentator Will Rogers.

Regards,

Joseph

#74 The 26TH Yankee

The 26TH Yankee

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 39 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:12 PM

Awesome stuff Tom! I went through the thread a few times, each time seeing more detail that I missed.

You are truly an artist Sir!

#75 Tom W.

Tom W.

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:58 AM

I enjoyed viewing this thread and seeing your work.

The American soldier on the left reminds me of the American humorist/commentator Will Rogers.

Thank you. The head was put out by Hornet. The sculptor had only one eye, if you can believe it. His heads were the best. I'm sure he based them on photos, so this might indeed be Will.