3rd Reserve Battalions Sherwood Foresters

4 replies to this topic

#1 st helena

st helena

Corporal

• Members2
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:14 PM

The mention of Pte Thomas Stuart 12170 being in L Company is when he was serving with the 3rd Battalion which was one of our Reserve Battalions who must at that time had an " L Company". As you will note from his record card he went to France 8.9.1914 with the 2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters, then he is shown as 3rd Battalion 17.9.1915, then posted back to the 2nd Battalion 9.12.1915. He would have been posted to the 3rd Battalion during his recuperation period and for administration purposes before being sent back to the front in France!
Does any one have any futher Information on the "3rd Reserve Battalion Sherwood Foresters" & there "L Company" of there time in Sunderland please with amy photos & Maps Please? I would be most grateful for any help!

Thank You

St Helena

#2 henson

henson

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:The Dale, Payne families in Nottingham.
    # # Looking for John Henson Dale b 1891 ( d 1972 in NZ ), m Ethel Tomlinson circa 1923 and went to S.Africa with dau.May,m 1913 to Violet Hancox, m 1958 to Monica Snell and
    went( circa 1972) to Australia with daughter/"s".

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hello

I am also very interested in the 3rd (Reserve)Bn, Sherwood Foresters as we have evidence to show that my grandfather was serving with

it in 1916.

"Pvt John Henson Dale, 3rd (Reserve)Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment).(no army # yet)".

We have been unable to identify this man from the Medal Cards or available pension records etc.

We presume he went with the Bn to make up the Tyne Garrison. He survived the war but his leg was injured in an accident with a train .

Just to let you know there are a few of us interested in the 3rd Bn. and ask if you find anything that would help me, I would be most

grateful.. . . Thank you. .. Henson

#3 steve morse

steve morse

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,209 posts
  • Interests:9th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment). Ypres Salient
    1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters - March 1915 to March 1917

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:29 AM

There is a John H Dale with the number 4215 and he is a Corporal. Shown as serving with 2 battalions but I do not know which.

Steve M

#4 henson

henson

Corporal

• Members2
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:The Dale, Payne families in Nottingham.
    # # Looking for John Henson Dale b 1891 ( d 1972 in NZ ), m Ethel Tomlinson circa 1923 and went to S.Africa with dau.May,m 1913 to Violet Hancox, m 1958 to Monica Snell and
    went( circa 1972) to Australia with daughter/"s".

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

There is a John H Dale with the number 4215 and he is a Corporal. Shown as serving with 2 battalions but I do not know which.

Steve M

Thanks Steve. .. yes, have this gentleman, he doesn't fit as unfortunatly 'killed in action'. Several other John's and John H's in the SF's also do not match.
However, I have much of John Henson Dale's civilian history and evidence that he was in the 3rd Bn ( Reserve ) in 1916, but no army number .
Would you know a way of finding out about his army service ?

Regards Jeff D

#5 steve morse

steve morse

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,209 posts
  • Interests:9th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment). Ypres Salient
    1st Battalion Sherwood Foresters - March 1915 to March 1917

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:55 AM

I have a copy of the Notts & Derby nominal roll but in most cases it only tells me the man served in one or more Battalions or other regiments.

If his records have not survived on ancestry, then it would be very difficult to trace him. It is of course a possibility that he only served with 3rd and therefore has no Medal index card. Especially as the battalion was also used for East Coast defence and part of the Tyne Garrison.

I can see only three more John Dale in N&D -
53850 - 12th Bn

7295 moved to ASC

2388 moved to Labour Corps.

Not sure if BRONNO has anything on him but might be worth sending him a PM.

SM