ww1 german poster?

17 replies to this topic

#1 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hi all, first off, i didnt know what subforum to post this in, hope this is ok. I purchased this old poster today, lovely artwork and depiction. I am having difficulty in tracking down the artist.It has the wording at the bottom of the poster but i cannot make out the letters to translate it!!!!

It has the artists name but is unreadable but it says 1935 next to his signature.

Hope some one can help ( i dont even know what language it is, looks like German but in strange script).

Attached Files

#2 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Middle image...word...kameraden.

This poster is in Tommys Bar also and is a link to "I had a comrade".

Evocative and moving image!

TT

#3 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

Middle image...word...kameraden.

This poster is in Tommys Bar also and is a link to "I had a comrade".

Evocative and moving image!

TT

Thanks so much TT. Tommys Bar is in Ypres, am i right?Also, what did you mean by 'link to' ' i had a comrade' ?

#4 Stoppage Drill

Stoppage Drill

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,217 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

"Ich hatt' einen Kameraden" is a German military lament, a bit like "Flowers of the Forest" It is sung, and dates back to Napoleonic times. The Foreign Legion also use it.It is saluted when sung or played.Quite moving.

#5 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Thanks guys, it's a terrific picture, I can't stop looking at it!
I'm going to have it professionally framed , will be quite expensive, it's 69" x 89" !!

Can anyone decipher the other wording?

#6 viking_raid

viking_raid

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Newfoundland Regiment, and WW1 Newfoundland Naval Reserve Items. - I pay top dollar and take trades.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:19 AM

Very nice poster, your lucky to own it. Evocative and moving to say the least.

VR

#7 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 12:01 PM

Very nice poster, your lucky to own it. Evocative and moving to say the least.

VR

Thanks VR, right time right place comes to mind ;-)

#8 bob lembke

bob lembke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:The Great War - Mostly the land war - Mostly the German side - Mostly the Western Front Especially: Flame throwers, Special formations; Pioniere Sturm=Truppen Jaeger, usw.

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:58 PM

Can anyone decipher the other wording?

I can certainly read it (I do so 3-5 hours a day, most days), but I can't see it.

Bob Lembke

#9 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

Can anyone translate this part?........

Attached Files

#10 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,150 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:18 PM

Tommys bar is in Poziere, Somme. See my avatar, this is a cracking poster too and I had it framed at a cost but well worth the money!

TT

#11 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hi Bob, I've enlarged the words ( last picture ). Can you translate/see it now ;-)

#12 bob lembke

bob lembke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,994 posts
  • Interests:The Great War - Mostly the land war - Mostly the German side - Mostly the Western Front Especially: Flame throwers, Special formations; Pioniere Sturm=Truppen Jaeger, usw.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Hi Bob, I've enlarged the words ( last picture ). Can you translate/see it now ;-)

Just saw this.

A bit odd (and more difficult) as the inscription is printed (I assume), but the script is not printing script (i.e., Fractur), but handwriting script (i.e., Suetterlin and/or Kurrent), usually somewhat harder. I read 1-2-3 hours of Fractur a day, but have not read Suetterlin for a year or two. But, after warming up my brain for a couple of minutes:

Verlag Fritz Mauk Freiburg i. Lr.

Verlag is "printing house" or "publisher"

Fritz Mauk is the name of the publisher.

Freiburg i. Lr. is the location of the publishing, a city named "Freiburg" ("Free City") "im" = "in" "Lr. ", some geographic entity abbreviated to Lr.. If it was a. it would have been "am" or "on", as on a river, as in Frankfurt a. M., or Frankfurt on the Main (River). (My German geography is really bad.)

Bob

Got it?

#13 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Just saw this.

A bit odd (and more difficult) as the inscription is printed (I assume), but the script is not printing script (i.e., Fractur), but handwriting script (i.e., Suetterlin and/or Kurrent), usually somewhat harder. I read 1-2-3 hours of Fractur a day, but have not read Suetterlin for a year or two. But, after warming up my brain for a couple of minutes:

Verlag Fritz Mauk Freiburg i. Lr.

Verlag is "printing house" or "publisher"

Fritz Mauk is the name of the publisher.

Freiburg i. Lr. is the location of the publishing, a city named "Freiburg" ("Free City") "im" = "in" "Lr. ", some geographic entity abbreviated to Lr.. If it was a. it would have been "am" or "on", as on a river, as in Frankfurt a. M., or Frankfurt on the Main (River). (My German geography is really bad.)

Bob

Got it?

thanks Bob,that's great. Much appreciated indeed.
This forum just goes up and up in my estimation each time I need help on things!
You truly are a 'learned' man...........

I'm getting this framed on Saturday at a local store, bit pricey but well worth it, doesn't look 'right' laying on my rug with 4 bottles holding it down!!!!!!!!

#14 dave8888

dave8888

Second Lieutenant

• Members2
  • 81 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:20 PM

Also, the poster is almost like a card , not too solid as it obviously rolls up, and the white 'framed' border and back has an aged yellowish tinge.
I think it must be a very old print.
Can you still buy this print anywhere today?
Thanks.

#15 eddy1964

eddy1964

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:31 AM

Can someone tell me where i can buy this print
Thank you all.

#16 egbert

egbert

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,114 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

Bob you got to prctise more....
the city name is "Freiburg i. Br.." for Freiburg im Breisgau

the center image says "Kameraden"

#17 BIFFO

BIFFO

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:poppy policeman- beer- researching local war memorials steam rallys- any thing historical-photography- staying alive for as long as I can

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:45 AM

dave 888 now I bought a copy of this poster of e bay mentioned it on the forum to maybe help I was then crashed and burned dont know why I bothered hope you enjoy yours as much as I do
Biff :thumbsup:

#18 David Filsell

David Filsell

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,977 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

Print - not poster