12 replies to this topic

#1 Angrybudgie

Angrybudgie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts
  • Interests:History, Genealogy

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:58 PM

I am doing research for other people on where their relatives were and what they took part in during the first world war. I have found that copies of maps are very popular in the final report. I am seriously considering purchasing linesman, but am unsure what version I would need. I only need to be able to show people the trenches and where they were, I am not looking at using it to hike around the french/belgian countryside. Can someone please give me some advice on what I would need to purchase, initial software & dvd's.

Also, with regard to copyright, can I just make sure that I reference the material (this is enough for the Australian War Museum - I've already talked to them re photos etc) or would I be required to pay a fee.

Elizabeth

#2 green_acorn

green_acorn

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,019 posts
  • Interests:Scouts, Observers and Intelligence systems, process, personnel and "product" in the 1st AIF, BEF, MEF and EEF

Posted 07 March 2012 - 04:11 AM

I am doing research for other people on where their relatives were and what they took part in during the first world war. I have found that copies of maps are very popular in the final report. I am seriously considering purchasing linesman, but am unsure what version I would need. I only need to be able to show people the trenches and where they were, I am not looking at using it to hike around the french/belgian countryside. Can someone please give me some advice on what I would need to purchase, initial software & dvd's.

Also, with regard to copyright, can I just make sure that I reference the material (this is enough for the Australian War Museum - I've already talked to them re photos etc) or would I be required to pay a fee.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth,

I am a great fan of Linesman, but it possibly has too many bells and whistles for what you are trying to achieve. You may be better of with the "National Archives British Trench Map Atlas - The Western Front 1914-18". I say this not just because of the lower price and the fact it is an atlas, rather than mapping also prepared for use with GPS, but because you can easily search by place/trench name. If you have a look at the Naval & Military Press website you may be able to make a better decision.

Regards,
Hendo

#3 Angrybudgie

Angrybudgie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

Thanks Hendo,

I'll have a look there as well. I forgot to mention in my original post that I would need to be able to print off a copy of the relavent section of map. Will this make a difference between linesman and the map atlas.

Elizabeth

#4 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:26 PM

Elizabeth

I frequently print off and save extracts of maps from the Naval and Military Press CD. It sounds just what you need.

Roger

#5 Beselare

Beselare

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 650 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

Hi Elizabeth

Like yourself, I carry out free trench research projects for various people. The Naval & Military Press CDRom is perfect for identifying most of the trench positions. I presume you also provide a modern map with your report which would show the present location of the trenches, strong-points, etc. I do not have Linesman and I rely on what can be described as the good old-fashioned method of following contours, roads, tracks, streams, etc., and using map measuring tools. However, I have lost count of the number of times I wish I had Linesman so that I can pinpoint the modern point easily. I keep reminding my children and grandchildren that they could get together and buy me a Linesman system and I would willingly go without birthday or Christmas presents for the next ten years, but the message has not got through to them yet. Depending on how much spare income you have, if you can afford Linesman in addition to the N&MP CD then I would advise you to go ahead.

Bob

#6 WhiteStarLine

WhiteStarLine

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 575 posts
  • Interests:4th Section, 3rd Australian Infantry Division Signals Company; supporting 11th Brigade

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Elizabeth,

The McMaster trench maps cover every Belgium / French location and their copyright notice allows extracts for personal research (which is what I understand you conduct on behalf of your friends or clients). I've found every trench map reference in a unit war diary that I've looked for and they are easy to use (even easier when you download the full size). You can then follow the same location with Google Maps.

Another suggestion and my personal preference is the 1900 series of maps on Geoportail, as they are geo-referenced so that you can find a 1914 - 1918 location, see the original roads and villages, overlay a modern map (Cartes series), adjust its transparency and if you want to, record its latitude/longitude to use with a separate modern map. It is a wonderful resource and helped me trace what I believe to be the exact street and viewpoint for several photographs I have published 'Then and Now' for. [Select the checkbox Minutes Etat-Major 1:40000 for a contemporary map, then click on the Cartes IGN or any other map or photograph to superimpose a modern view. A forum pal put me onto this and I've used it displayed on one screen while reading a unit war diary on another]

Cheers,

Bill

McMaster Trench Maps http://library.mcmas...w1/ndx5to40.htm
Geoportail: http://www.geoportai...E-CRUE(100)&z=8 In the Ville field, type in a location such as Villers-Bretonneux.

#7 Cuddles

Cuddles

Private

• Members2
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:38 AM

The McMaster trench maps cover every Belgium / French location and their copyright notice allows extracts for personal research

McMaster Trench Maps http://library.mcmas...w1/ndx5to40.htm
Geoportail: http://www.geoportai...E-CRUE(100)&z=8 In the Ville field, type in a location such as Villers-Bretonneux.

bill thanks for the steer on the McMaster maps! Why was I not informed!!

#8 Angrybudgie

Angrybudgie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Unfortunately as I am a micro-business, taking money for the research I do, copyright becomes a veritable minefield to get through. Copyright prevents me from using the excellent Linesman and also just about everything else. I have decide that probably the best way is for me to purchase my own copies of the maps and use those. If I am using something that I own, I am not infringing on someone else's copyright. Sorting everything out in one country is bad enough, but across two or more.:rolleyes:

Thanks for your help, I may still need something for my own enjoyment and I can spend hours pouring over old maps. And it beats trying to transfer stuff to google earth!

Elizabeth

#9 MartH

MartH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Writing of Official Histories, I have over a thousand, not all First World War of course.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:24 PM

Copyright prevents me from using the excellent Linesman.

Have you confirmed this with Linesman buy emailing them? They are very helpful

#10 Ice tiger

Ice tiger

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,658 posts
  • Interests:Great War Dead of Addlestone, Surrey
    Freemasonry in the Great War

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

.....Copyright prevents me from using the excellent Linesman and also just about everything else.
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

As Mart says contact Linesman or better still drop a PM to Guy Smith, Smiths Maps on this forum. Along with being a very helpful member here Guy is "Mr Linesman" and will be able to advise you in regard to copyright with his product.

Andy

#11 Angrybudgie

Angrybudgie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

MartH,
yes several emails have gone back and forth, It's ok for personal use and research, but becomes not ok when I sell the finished research. It has to do with their contract of use from the various archives. They may use it commercially, but someone may not use their product for commercial gain. Complicated.........A pity really, as being able to put the past on a modern map would have been very useful.

Elizabeth

#12 MartH

MartH

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,231 posts
  • Interests:Writing of Official Histories, I have over a thousand, not all First World War of course.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:45 PM

Elizabeth a pity, but if Guy says that, he will have tried looked into all the options. Have you tried Croonaert.

He's a member here too.

#13 Angrybudgie

Angrybudgie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 136 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:26 PM

MartH,
The person I had contact with was Jerry. There was no way for him to be aware of my membership here, but I am asuming that he was honest with me. I have been trying to do the right thing by other people in reguards to their copyright, I'm just not the type to use something and not acknowledge the other person or archive etc. I am aware of Croonaert, but asumed that I would be in a similar position. I have purchased a couple of modern copies of trench maps, and am awaiting their arrival to see if they will work for me, but I am not sure I can cover all the areas I will need. If you think it is worthwhile getting in touch with Croonaert, I will.

Elizabeth

p.s. it seems you are unable to receive anymore pm's