16 replies to this topic

#1 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts
  • Interests:The Great War

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

This one has me running around in circles. He is not in SDGW or is he? He is in the census and he, and brothers and sister are born in Westmeath.
http://www.census.na...yglass/1780077/
WALLACE, M

Private
Service No:
Date of Death:
09/08/1914
Regiment/Service:
Royal Scots Fusiliers

3rd Bn.
Grave Reference
F. 19692.
Cemetery
AYR CEMETERY, AYRSHIRE
Additional Information:
Son of Peter and Elizabeth Wallace, of Milltown, Rathconrath, Mullingar.
Born Knockmore, Mayo, enlisted Ballina, Mayo, DOW

I would appreciate your opinions.
Kind regards.
Tom.

#2 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:carpentry,2n bn black watch & my family regiment the" dandy ninth"
    I also love watching my daughter playing football for her local team

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi Tom
I have just done a few different searches on SDGW and I came up with blank ?

regards
Ian

Edited by Ianander, 11 March 2012 - 10:28 AM.

#3 Dave Swarbrick

Dave Swarbrick

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 505 posts
  • Interests:I am currently researching all of the men with my surname who served in the First World War - there are about 250 of them, counting Canadians, Australians and New Zealanders. My aim is to match all of them with the Swarbrick families that I have on my database.
    I am also currently working on the men from Tonbridge who died in the war.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm sorry - I'm confused - the census entry from your link does lead to a Peter Wallace and his family but none of them have the initial "M" and all of the family give their birthplace as Westmeath and your man was born in Knockmore.

I can't see any entry in SDGW but that may be because it would appear that he died just 5 days after the outbreak of war and that he is buried in Ayr, which suggests to me that he died in the UK and, I suggest, there is every likelihood that he was never in France and so, possibly, did not qualify for entry in SDGW although he does qualify for the CWGC.

I can't see any MIC for him either.

Dave Swarbrick

#4 Ianander

Ianander

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,236 posts
  • Interests:carpentry,2n bn black watch & my family regiment the" dandy ninth"
    I also love watching my daughter playing football for her local team

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi Tom
I found him on CWGC, but not in the SDGW ?
http://www.cwgc.org/...3514/WALLACE, M

reguards
Ian

#5 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

Also found him on CWGC but nothing anywhere else Tom.No overseas service is the key there no mic no SDGW.john

#6 corisande

corisande

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,348 posts
  • Interests:The Royal Dublin Fusiliers in general and 10th Battalion in particular.and I probably should add "Irish Brigade" and "Cairo Gang" and "The Auxiliaries"

Posted 11 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Tom as has been hinted at , you have the wrong chap in the census

Click 1911 Ireland is I think your man

He has the right parents, is born in Mayo and was living close enough to Ballina to have enlisted there

#7 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for the help lads and lassies,now you can see why I was confused. I did not consider that he did not qualify for SDGW as he was not at the front, but the CWGC says he was DOW, and as such I expected to see him listed in it. The census readout is for what I assume was his family. Using the combination of peter and Elizabeth as parents in the same townland as it says on the Census, Rathconrath.
Thank you all again, its like getting all the family around you to sort a problem.
Kind regards.
Tom.

#8 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

Update; His brother also died;
WALLACE, WILLIAM. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: King's Own Scottish Borderers. Unit; 2nd Battalion. Age at Death, 33. Date of Death: 22-October-1914. Service No: 9026. Born in Milltown, County Westmeath. Enlisted in Hamilton, Lanarkshire while living in Milltown, County Westmeath. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of Peter and Elizabeth Wallace, of Milltown, Rathconrath, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath, Republic of Ireland. Grave or Memorial Reference: 17. E. 6. Cemetery: Canadian Cemetery No 2, Neuville-St. Vaast, Pas-De-Calais, France.

#9 corisande

corisande

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,348 posts
  • Interests:The Royal Dublin Fusiliers in general and 10th Battalion in particular.and I probably should add "Irish Brigade" and "Cairo Gang" and "The Auxiliaries"

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

Tom

No, he is not a brother, he is a son of the Peter and Elizabeth in your OP - Click that family

#10 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,582 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Tom as has been hinted at , you have the wrong chap in the census

Click 1911 Ireland is I think your man

He has the right parents, is born in Mayo and was living close enough to Ballina to have enlisted there

Now I'm confused. I thought the man in question was a son of "Peter and Elizabeth Wallace, of Milltown, Rathconrath, Mullingar."?
The man in this link is son of Michael and Lily and is the wrong age. Apologies if I have missed something.

John

#11 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

I have to agree with John, The CWGC says both are sons of Peter and Elizabeth of Rathconrath also.

#12 corisande

corisande

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,348 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

The man in question

"Son of Peter and Elizabeth Wallace, of Milltown, Rathconrath, Mullingar.
Born Knockmore, Mayo, enlisted Ballina, Mayo, DOW"

You may or may not have missed something. As far as I can see there is no link of a Mayo born M Wallace to the original link in Toms OP. Can you find one

#13 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

CWGC says they are both sons of Peter and Elizabeth of Rathconrath.
Regards.
Tom.

#14 andrewr

andrewr

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:Researching the men from the Bracknell area who fell in WWI

Posted 11 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

There are several unanswered questions here:
1. Is there a birth registration?
2. Is there a death registration?
3. Where was he in 1911 when the census was being taken?

1. Using ancestry, I have been unable to find a birth registration for Michael/Mark/Matthew/male in the right area for 1888. This begs the question as to how reliable the age is recorded on the CWGC entry.

2. Usng FMP, there are no military deaths recorded for anyone name Wallace in the Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1914. This matches the lack of SDGW entry.
However, using http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, there is one Michael Wallace recorded as dying in 1914.

3. The same source records eight instances of Michael Wallace in the 1911 census.

I would suggest paying to look at these entries in Scotland to see what other information they provide might help track down your man.

Regards,
Andrewr

#15 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

Thank you AndrewR. It does look like there was a Scottish connection when you look at his brothers address on enlistment. I will definitely have to follow this up. Many thanks for your kind help and suggestions. Kind regards.
Tom.

#16 WilliamRev

WilliamRev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 923 posts
  • Interests:5th Scottish Rifles 1914-15 and 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers: currently writing a book on my grandfather, Captain S. Revels (avatar shows him in 1916, a 2/Lieut., aged 22).

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

The 3rd Battalion RSF was the training battalion for the two regular battalions (1st and 2nd), and according to the RSF regimental magazine (Jan 1920):

"The 3rd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers, under the command of Lieut.-Colonel Q. Agnew, M.V.O., D.S.O., arrived on mobilisation at Fort Matilda, Greenock, on the 8th August, 1914..."

[They arrived from Ayr - Fort Matilda was a hastily-constructed training camp of tents, and later huts, which occupied parkland; it has nothing to do with the adjacent small coastal fort of the same name which was manned by the R.Garrison Artillery - this has caused confusion in the past.]

They moved in the same day as he died - interesting eh? I wonder if he died in some sort of accident, perhaps as the men loaded the train at Ayr, or unloded it at Fort Matilda station (between the twin towns of Greenock and Gourock)?

So if you are looking at newspaper reports include Ayr and Greenock in your search as well as Mayo.

William

#17 museumtom

museumtom

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thank you WilliamRev.
Kind regards.
tom.