Photo

German Bullet Trench Art

12 replies to this topic

#1 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:15th ( Carmarthenshire ) Battalion, Welsh Regt. Driven around the 15th Regt Cemeteries and Battle Fields. Been a collector WW1. Model maker of sorts.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Hi

I picked this up today in a charity shop, "no I was not buying cloths :blush: ", no I get bored shopping, so I always pop into one just in case, on the round it as 18. S67. DM. 3., on the other side of the blade it as 11 NOV 1918.

Regards.
Gerwyn

Attached Files

#2 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:01 PM

That is precisely why I never pass a thrift shop either. I have found the most wonderful things in the least promising of stores (in terms of appearance, anyway).

That's a beauty!

Daniel

#3 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts
  • Interests:15th ( Carmarthenshire ) Battalion, Welsh Regt. Driven around the 15th Regt Cemeteries and Battle Fields. Been a collector WW1. Model maker of sorts.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

Hi Daniel

Cheers Mate,I can take it then that it is a German Bullet.

Regards.
Gerwyn

#4 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:34 PM

Hi Daniel

Cheers Mate,I can take it then that it is a German Bullet.

Regards.
Gerwyn

That I cannot say...Tony's the fellow to ask. Hopefully someone will bring this thread to his attention. Great trench art, though. I have a newer version of what you found with an American bullet from Guadalcanal that Tony ID'd for me.

Daniel

#5 Garron

Garron

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,292 posts
  • Interests:Firearms and Bayonet of WW1
    10th & 13th Welsh at Mametz Wood 1916

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:51 PM

Yep thats a German 7.92x57 round

S67 is the case metallurgy (67% copper)
Dm is the maker - Deutsche Munitionsfabrik
3 is March
18 is 1918

Gaz

#6 shippingsteel

shippingsteel

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:16 AM

Yep thats a German 7.92x57 round

Good job Gaz.! I'm sure that TonyE would be suitably proud of your work.! :thumbsup:

Cheers, S>S

#7 TonyE

TonyE

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:British military Small Arms and ammunition.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Indeed I am, but then I know young Gaz knows his stuff!

It is difficult to tell from the picture but you may find that the bullet is from a French 8x50mm Lebel round. German ball bullets normally had an envelope of cupro-nickel clad steel, (CNCS silver coloured) whilst Lebel bullets were solid bronze. This meant that the Lebel bullet was easier to solder than the steel envelope of the German round when making trench art.

Cheers
TonyE

#8 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:51 PM

Hi Daniel, Gaz and TonyE, S>S

Thank you ALL for your kind help, one more question, I was given a clip of german rounds, and it was intersting as to what TonyE said, "cupro-nickel clad steel", unlike ours bullets, I have noticed a layer of ? coming of them, is this cupro-nickle then thats coming off them, and why were they coated with this.

Cheers.
Gerwyn

#9 TonyE

TonyE

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,581 posts
  • Interests:British military Small Arms and ammunition.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:48 PM

British ball rounds had an envelope of pure cupro-nickel (if you can call an alloy pure) whereas the German rounds had a steel envelope that was coated in a very thin layer of cupronickel. The purpose of the layer was to act as a cushion and a lubricant between the steel of the bullet envelope and the steel of the barrel when fired. The German method was cheaper in terms of strategic materials as nickel was in short supply.

The result of course is that 100 years later the steel of the envelope has rusted and pushed through the thin layer of nickel.

Regards
TonyE

#10 pioneercorps

pioneercorps

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 731 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Hi TonyE

Thank you for the information Mate.

Regards.
Gerwyn

#11 Cnock

Cnock

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,169 posts
  • Interests:Ypres Salient
    Air war over Flanders
    Marinekorps Flandern-Belgian Coast
    Bunkers WWI-WWII

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:55 PM

Hi,

don't forget that many 'trench art' items were made after WWI

Cnock

#12 seadog

seadog

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,578 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:03 AM

Seen at a militaria fair on the 22nd April held in Yate nr Bristol. These very ornate examples of trench art were no doubt made in the inter-war years and are composed of British 18 pdr shrapnel shells, fuses and cartridge cases plus German Mauser bullets. The religious aspect of these can be seen in many examples in France. Those sections from the shell would have taken some cutting!. The one one the left is priced at 55.

Posted Image
Norman

#13 seadog

seadog

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,578 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:18 AM

Some examples of trench art at the Museum of the Devon and Dorset Regiments in Dorchester UK. The letter openers appear to be French Lebel rounds. For some interesting notes on all the items goto:

Photo on Flickr

Posted Image
Norman