Norfolk Regiment and Labour Corps

3 replies to this topic

#1 jst

jst

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

Please does anyone know when my Grandfather would have joined the Norfolk Regiment and how can I tell what battalion he was in.
His number was 202761. He transferred to the Labour Corp and his number was 580402. Does anyone know when this would have been and where he would have served.
Thank you.

#2 Phil Evans

Phil Evans

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

202761 is the number he first went overseas with. It doesn't tell you when he enlisted, but shows that he didn't go overseas before the Territorial re-numbering in early 1917. It is a 4th Battalion number.

Click here

The Labour Corps number 580402 falls within the batch issued May to September 1918. (Courtesy of "No Labour, No Battle")

I don't have access to Ancestry, so can't check to see if there are any clues on the card (such as discharged with SWB etc).

Phil

#3 munster

munster

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

Hi JST no clues on Medal Index Card a link to it is below.No service records appear to have survived.No Silver War Badge entry.john
http://search.ancest...alRolls&indiv=1

#4 jst

jst

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

202761 is the number he first went overseas with. It doesn't tell you when he enlisted, but shows that he didn't go overseas before the Territorial re-numbering in early 1917. It is a 4th Battalion number.

Click here

The Labour Corps number 580402 falls within the batch issued May to September 1918. (Courtesy of "No Labour, No Battle")

I don't have access to Ancestry, so can't check to see if there are any clues on the card (such as discharged with SWB etc).

Phil

Thanks for your help. There is nothing else on his card and no service records have survived.