Photo

Cavalry Sketching Board

18 replies to this topic

#1 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:14 PM

This morning I was offered one of these Cavalry Field Sketching Boards, near perfect condition. Broad Arrow marked and dated 1910. BUT I felt slightly uncomfortable, it was in unbelievably good condition. Does anyone have one in their own collection they could provide a picture of? Not one off the net, I have looked at those.

Mick

Attached Files

#2 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

This morning I was offered one of these Cavalry Field Sketching Boards, near perfect condition. Broad Arrow marked and dated 1910. BUT I felt slightly uncomfortable, it was in unbelievably good condition. Does anyone have one in their own collection they could provide a picture of? Not one off the net, I have looked at those.

Mick

Mick,
The one you are posting is an example from the National Army Museum, here are photographs of the front and back, so as to compare the back of the board in case you do not have a photo of the reverse -

Attached Files

#3 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Here is another example from the 1920's with the paper wound around the rollers on either side.

Attached Files

#4 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

1914 board with case.

Attached Files

#5 auchonvillerssomme

auchonvillerssomme

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,160 posts
  • Interests:First World War in general, Somme specifically. War memorials and losses.

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Yes the example I posted is from the NAM collection, it was the only decent picture I could find. The example I was shown this morning was in even better nick and complete with leather strap also in very good condition. It could have gone down to 150 which is a good price if right, especially for a 1910 dated example but I doubt I could get more than 180-200. I have seen them before but never handled one or sold one.

#6 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:32 PM

Yes the example I posted is from the NAM collection, it was the only decent picture I could find. The example I was shown this morning was in even better nick and complete with leather strap also in very good condition. It could have gone down to 150 which is a good price if right, especially for a 1910 dated example but I doubt I could get more than 180-200. I have seen them before but never handled one or sold one.

That sounds like a decent price, as I am sure they are not a common item, especially in good condition.

#7 pmaasz

pmaasz

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 692 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Can one of you explain how these things were used? There was one in our family that belonged to my uncle (KIA see below) but I don't remember it having a compass at the top nor any scales on the frame. We always presumed it was for winding a map roll from one roller to the other across the platen.

#8 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:34 PM

Can one of you explain how these things were used? There was one in our family that belonged to my uncle (KIA see below) but I don't remember it having a compass at the top nor any scales on the frame. We always presumed it was for winding a map roll from one roller to the other across the platen.

I have never used one, the example in post #3 shows the map/chart/writing paper being drawn across the platen from side to side on the rollers, the compass, scales and the protractor must be mapping aids.
I shall be keeping my eyes out for a nice one.

#9 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Div Signals N.Z.E, Mounted Signal Troop. Signals Equipment. 6th Hauraki.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:58 AM

The leather strap was for fixing to the left arm, when riding a horse ,it is for field sketching and notes.

I have a 1915 dated one if you want any pics....., I have seen so many on ebay over the years, they are not as rare as they seem.
120 to 150 is all I would pay, even if 1910 dated, if it was never used.......mint
80 to 120 is what I seen them go for.........

Regards Jonathan

#10 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:15 AM

The leather strap was for fixing to the left arm, when riding a horse ,it is for field sketching and notes.

I have a 1915 dated one if you want any pics....., I have seen so many on ebay over the years, they are not as rare as they seem.
120 to 150 is all I would pay, even if 1910 dated, if it was never used.......mint
80 to 120 is what I seen them go for.........

Regards Jonathan

Jonathan,
Many thanks for explaining about the strap attaching to the left arm, I wondered what the strap was for, also for the price estimates, also very useful to know.
Is your example similar, or the same as the others posted ?

#11 steenie

steenie

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Cavalry of the C20th. Mounted military exercise.

I am a member of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry (mounted), which is a military saddle club that works to stop the knowledge of cavalry fading into history. President, The International Cavalry Association.

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

I have one of these which I use on horseback. My problem is, I can't seem to source anymore paper for the rollers.

The device on the back is an inclinometer. You hold the board upside down, press the button and set it to the incline of the hill or whatever you are observing. Once you have it on the line of the incline you let the button go so it is held, then you can read of the angle.

As said, I want a paper source if any know of one.

#12 Mike_H

Mike_H

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

There is a good chapter on the sketching board in "The Victorian Soldier" published by the National Army Museum back in 1993.

Mike

#13 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Div Signals N.Z.E, Mounted Signal Troop. Signals Equipment. 6th Hauraki.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

Here is my example it is Marked MK 1V 1915

Mine came with a signals sactual

Posted Image
Posted Image

Regards Jonathan

#14 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:05 PM

Here is my example it is Marked MK 1V 1915
Mine came with a signals sactual
Regards Jonathan

Jonathan,
You are very fortunate to have such a fine example dated 1915, plus the case.
LF

#15 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,257 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 04:23 PM

I had one of those boards, going back about thirty years ago, at the time I was told that they were used by RFC/RAF pilots, never thought much about it, just accepted it.Curious though that all the ones I have seen are always in mint condition.

khaki

#16 john in minnesota

john in minnesota

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:WW1 CEF uniforms, gear, weapons. Also WW1 Australian

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:50 PM

I may have the other portion of this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,678 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

I may have the other portion of this:

That is the first such set I have seen, it must be rarer than the actual Board.
You are very fortunate having such a great set.
LF

#18 6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

6th Hauraki KIA KAHA

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 597 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

I have one of these cases it is named to an""" officer"" it is more of a private purchase item, that would go with your map case and not military issue.

Most of the boards seem to be in good condition although, I have seen some bad conditions ones, it is not like a gun or bit of webbing that gets hard use... ...
Used just to Hold paper rolls and take make sketches and notes, you would expect them to stay in good condition as, I am sure they were not that cheap when produced...... as a technical item.

what mark protractor is it in the case?

Regards Jonathan

#19 MikeMeech

MikeMeech

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 435 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

Hi All

The RFC/RAF has been mentioned in relation to the Map Board. In the Army Form G1098-33-C 'Mobilization Store Table for the Expeditionary Force for a RFC Aeroplane Squadron, 12 Aircraft' for 1913, has on page 9: 'Boards, sketching, cavalry - 9 on the squadron'.
However, I do not think it was ever used by the RAF, as in TNA there are documents that mention the 'modified' map board of 1917. The modification is basically the addition of an aluminium sheet attached to the wooden board. This modification allowed the observer to make 4 good copies of the map (using a hard pencil), the maps being made up into pads of 4 with carbon paper inbetween. The modified board was not the cavalry board so it appears it had already been replaced well before 1917. This map board was 1 ft 5 in x 1 ft 2 in, which I believe is larger than the Cavalry type?

I hope that is of interest.

Mike