London Calling: Wednesday 28 March

32 replies to this topic

#26 PJA

PJA

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

A very informative talk by Pete Simkins. Shook up my ideas about the Hundred Days. Still troubled by inordinately high officer mortality in that division : why ?

Above all, enjoyed talking and drinking at the Pineapple.

Thanks.

Phil (PJA)

#27 Staffsyeoman

Staffsyeoman

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,272 posts
  • Interests:Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Medals and Awards, uniform

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:49 AM

Apologies all for eventually being a no-show; the leaving do I was at had so many people I had not seen in years that I wanted to speak to, the time just dissolved. And I had a guilt trip about something with wheels being proximate to Mr Broomfield. Next month I will be a man of enforced leisure - so yep...

#28 PMHart

PMHart

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi chums,

I had a lovely time and it was nice to meet a great bunch of people united by a common interest in drinking! My thanks also to the wonderful Pete Simkins for a fine talk on the 12th Division in the Hundred Days.

Come the dawn I had a slight hangover but was cured by Grantowi whoever he or she is! Whatever the sexual orientation he/she is a true sex god as their delightful recent post in the 'Top Gun My A***' thread made me laugh so much all my troubles drifted away and I managed to be in work by 08.00!

Happy Pete

#29 seaJane

seaJane

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,594 posts
  • Interests:The West Africa squadron in the 1840s; naval medicine; First World War, especially in poetry, art and fiction

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:29 AM

Laughter is the best medicine :)

sorry I couldn't be there...

#30 Phil Evans

Phil Evans

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

A most enjoyable evening and good to meet the IWM crew this time.

Phil - the one on orange juice :innocent:

#31 Siege Gunner

Siege Gunner

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,845 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:02 PM

Yes, a very good time was had by all, and Jane, Mark, Phil and Steve B were all missed. Thanks to IWM pals for the invitation and the incomparable Simmo for his talk on the 12th Division. Good to see Kate & Martin Wills, and hoping that Andrew Riddoch got home to Somerset safely and in reasonable time. Also good to meet Phil/PLJ and Simon J. Hopefully, with the coming of better weather and lighter nights, there will be a similarly large turnout for our April get-together.

#32 AGWR

AGWR

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

A very enjoyable evening. Hopefully should be able to make the April meeting too.

Regards,
AGWR

#33 seaJane

seaJane

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,594 posts
  • Interests:The West Africa squadron in the 1840s; naval medicine; First World War, especially in poetry, art and fiction

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:12 PM

Once April is over my new leave year kicks in, at which point I may well make a day trip of the visit to London so as to be less rushed...