#26 LST_164

LST_164

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,614 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Anglesey Casualties

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Scalyback,
No known examples of Brethyn Llwyd uniform jackets/trousers survive today. I had that correspondence many years ago with the museums. The Welsh Army Corps papers at the National Library of Wales contain paperwork relating to manufacturing contracts, opinions of commanders etc. There are assorted "samples" in all shades of grey sent in by eager woollen mills wanting to bid; but strangely not the final approved sample which was sent out to the successful contractors! The nearest one gets to knowing what it looked like is a journalist's comment likening it to the grey of the Guards' overcoats.

It's difficult even to find photos of troops wearing it, though they surely must exist.

Kevin - I have had a look for my copy of the sword patent but can't find it in the junkshop which is my attic. RWF Museum and IWM should have it, unless you want to send to the Patent Office or wherever past designs are archived.

Clive

#27 hywyn

hywyn

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweat
  • 2,911 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:11 PM

Here's the patent for Felix Joubert with drawings
http://worldwide.esp...NR=108741A&KC=A

Hywyn

#28 Garron

Garron

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,299 posts
  • Interests:Firearms and Bayonet of WW1
    10th & 13th Welsh at Mametz Wood 1916

Posted 03 April 2012 - 10:39 PM

I've thought about buying one of these repros, are they any good?

Cheers
Gaz

#29 Kevin O'Marah

Kevin O'Marah

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 423 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:11 PM

Swords now in place.

Robert Jones "Dros Urddas Cymru"

Hwyl
Kevin

Attached Files

• Attached File  cc2.png   78.47KB   1 downloads

#30 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,347 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:46 PM

Hello Kevin,
swords look very effective flanking the portrait.
khaki

#31 Noyes16

Noyes16

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:38th (Welsh) Division, Any Welsh Battalions.

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:37 PM

I came across this topic whilst searching for info re the P14 rifle! I have one of the repro Welsh knives from IMA. It's well worth the money. I'm a member of the Great War Society and when I have my knife on on display it gets a lot of attention from the public.

In above entries Brethyn llwyd has been described as being grey in colour. However, my belief is that, despite its name meaning grey cloth, it was actually a brown colour. A description in the 1970's by an elderly lady from the South Wales town of Cowbridge states that it was "gingery".

Robin