Photo

Raasay Iron Ore Mine

7 replies to this topic

#1 Ewan Johnstone

Ewan Johnstone

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and their actions in and around Arras, Roeux and the Chemical Works, April - May 1917.

The war in Mesopotamia.

The Indian Expeditionary Forces

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Folks,

Having just spent a week on Skye, myself and my better half travelled over to Raasay to explore the Iron Ore Mine that was worked by Germa POW's. I have some photographs of the mine buildings etc, and would be happy to share them if anybody is interested. Please PM me as my computer won't let me post photographs on here. (Not enough steam up I think!)

Your's aye

Ewan

#2 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 24,754 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 04 April 2012 - 02:28 PM

Folks,

Having just spent a week on Skye, myself and my better half travelled over to Raasay to explore the Iron Ore Mine that was worked by Germa POW's. I have some photographs of the mine buildings etc, and would be happy to share them if anybody is interested. Please PM me as my computer won't let me post photographs on here. (Not enough steam up I think!)

Your's aye

Ewan

More likely they are too big and contravene the forum size limit of 100K.

I believe that, technically speaking, German POWs could not be made to work in iron mines as this contravened the prohibition of work that directly benefited the war effort. Prisoners were usually asked to volunteer. Incentives were provided. I have come across an example of another iron mine on the British main land where this was done and POWs also worked the supporting railway. Some met local girls, married and their descendants are still living in this country.

#3 patrick anderson

patrick anderson

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:Scottish Regiments in WW1 , esp Black Watch in WW1 esp 8th BW, 10 BW & 18Sqn RFC &RAF in WW1 . My namesake Uncle Lieut P W Anderson was a OTC corporal at University College Dundee & part of St Andrews University . He was Observer in DH4 on 27 June 1918 with 18 Sqn RAF and shot up and hospitalised for nearly 2 years . Sent home to die by ambulance train from Kings X to arbroath. Died of wounds 2 nov 1921 just getting his 29th birthday a few days before

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Ewan , I did not realise that German POWs of WW1 worked on the Raasay Iron Ore Mine on that wee island !

I know that German U Boats of WW1 attacked and sunk a number of fishing boats from Scotland off Loch Eyrniot near Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye .

p

#4 Dragon

Dragon

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,666 posts
  • Interests:The Vosges and Alsace in occupation and wartime:
    http://thebluelinefrontier.com/
    The Drill Halls Project:
    http://www.drillhalls.org
    ~~~
    http://mightygwyn.zenfolio.com

To contact the Drill Halls Project directly, please use the email facility on the website.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

I took photos of the remains of these buildings on our second holiday on Raasay a couple of years ago. I felt the ruins had a charged atmosphere. I'd be interested to see your pictures - maybe you had better weather!

If they're too large for the forum, you can host them externally on flickr or similar.

We also visited the graves of prisoners in the little churchyard and I think I took photos.

Gwyn

#5 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 6,152 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

There is a book about it, which looks interesting:

http://www.raasay.com/ironmine.html

TR

#6 centurion

centurion

General

• Old Sweats
  • 24,754 posts
  • Interests:Military history, science fiction

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:46 PM

The story sounds very similar to the Weardale Iron Company in Co Durham where German POWs worked in the quarry and on the railway carnying ore to the refinery. They came from both the German army and navy.

#7 Ewan Johnstone

Ewan Johnstone

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and their actions in and around Arras, Roeux and the Chemical Works, April - May 1917.

The war in Mesopotamia.

The Indian Expeditionary Forces

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

Dragon, we had a week of glorious sunshine, the ruins at both ends of the railway were fairly eerie. I have done many years of walking all over Scotland, but trudging the old track bed from the old pier to the actual mine was very lonely. Dissapointed that there wasn't so muh as an information board, however that did add to the eerieness of the place. I can't even get my flickr account to play tonight. Shall try again later to upload them.

Ewan

#8 mtaylor

mtaylor

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 186 posts
  • Interests:Frank Percy Crozier, James Frederick Plunkett, 40th Division, 119 Inf Bde, Bantams, German POWs in British hands, trophy guns in UK

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Interestingly (well to me at least) the mine was the site of the only serious (influenza excepted) cases of ill health among German PoWs in Britain. They liked to combine their rations into a mushy stew which they kept simmering for hours - with the result that they boiled out most of the vitamins and developed scurvy!

Mike