John(txic)

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:RAF Bomber Command
    Fleet Air Arm
    The Royal Navy
    Black Metal
    Death Metal - preferably Swedish &/or melodic, not the brutal stuff...

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

You are cordially invited to the next meeting of the Wolverhampton Branch of the WFA.

Our Talk this month is by Bill MacCormick and is entitled "A lack of offensive spirit? The 46th (North Midland) Division at Gommecourt on 1st July 1916".

Meetings are held in the Lecture Hall of St Peters Collegiate School, Compton Park, Wolverhampton WV3 9DU. If using a SatNav (or just a good, old-fashioned A - Z), make sure you approach from the A454 Compton Road West and NOT the A41 Tettenhall Road.

http://maps.google.c...ingdom&t=m&z=16

Bear right and follow Compton Park along; the school is about 800yds down the road, past the Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Training Ground and on the opposite side of the road. If you reach the gate across the road you've overshot by 50 yds!

A contribution of £2 would be appreciated to cover the costs we incur in hiring the hall; you get a free tea or coffee and piece of home-made cake thrown in. Meetings begin at approx 14.00hrs for a 14.30hrs start.

All are welcome.

#2 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,796 posts
  • Interests:South Staffordshire Regiment in WW1
    Fly Fishing
    George Formby and the Banjolele

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:45 AM

THE one I wanted to hear but we'll be on the Somme (it's a hard life!)

Roy ;)

#3 brucehubbard

brucehubbard

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,740 posts
  • Interests:Almost anything to do with the Western Front, dating from research into the war dead of Maghull and Ainsdale. Currently a tour guide, and loving it.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:47 AM

Wolverhampton Wanderers train???

Bruce

#4 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,306 posts
  • Interests:concert parties; Salonika esp. 7th OBLI; arts in WW1; my cats; Save the Strays; Northampton Saints RFC

Posted 07 April 2012 - 11:54 AM

Roy,

In that case, treat yourself to a trip to Northampton in June.

#5 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,796 posts
    Fly Fishing

Posted 07 April 2012 - 12:10 PM

Bruce,
Of course they train - they're the strongest team in the Premier League. :P

Kate,
Several of the SSP's who will be with me next weekend are disappointed at missing the Wolves WFA talk so just maybe we'll get a car load together in June.

Roy

#6 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:The Soldiers from Dawley - The South Staffordshire Regt - 46th North Midland Division - Wolves F.C

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:40 PM

I for one who is also travelling to the Somme next weekend with Roy am willing to go over to Nottingham to hear Bill's talk.

Having said that is everyone conspiring against me, June !, I am going to Mexico in June and you can guarentee that the dates clash.

I don't know Somme or Bill, Mexico or Bill, you would have thought that John (txic) would have rearranged the date being a fellow SSP and knowing all about the Somme trip from the word go. It makes you think he does'nt want us there or is the real reason he could'nt make the Somme trip now coming out ?

I am sure the talk will be excellent, Can you record/film it John ? we can have a private viewing, after all Lack of Offensive spirit is truly one of the great books written on the First War, My No 1 book.

Dave

PS Less about the Wolves Bruce, you will upset quite a few SSP's and are'nt we suffering enough without everyone else taking the urine.

#7 John(txic)

John(txic)

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 718 posts
    Fleet Air Arm
    The Royal Navy
    Black Metal

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:54 PM

I do not have that power, Dave... I only write the Newsletter! :hypocrite:

Have a word with Andy Johnson - he may be able to oblige.

#8 1st east yorks

1st east yorks

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment(WW1).
    The Battle of The Somme.
    The Great War.
    American civil war.
    Irish history and independence.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

[quote name='Dawleyjockey' timestamp='1333813200' post='1736421']
I for one who is also travelling to the Somme next weekend with Roy am willing to go over to Nottingham to hear Bill's talk.

You'll miss his talk again,Dave,if you go to Nottingham in June,as Bill will be in Northampton.

Anthony.

#9 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 773 posts
  • Interests:The Soldiers from Dawley - The South Staffordshire Regt - 46th North Midland Division - Wolves F.C

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:17 PM

Anthony, See what a mess I am in missing Bill's talk, Nottingham err no Northampton

and John ask Andy ? Andy's the one driving Roy & Myself to the Somme !!!

Dave

#10 1st east yorks

1st east yorks

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment(WW1).
    The Battle of The Somme.
    The Great War.
    American civil war.
    Irish history and independence.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

Anthony, See what a mess I am in missing Bill's talk, Nottingham err no Northampton

and John ask Andy ? Andy's the one driving Roy & Myself to the Somme !!!

Dave

Dave,
it happens to us all.
Anthony.

#11 Doug Lewis

Doug Lewis

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,116 posts
  • Interests:6th Btn South Staffordshire Regiment, 46th (North Midland) Division

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:43 AM

As I to will be with Roy,Dave and Andy, a trip to Northampton or Nottingham sounds good to me. I really wanted to hear this talk but I suppose a trip to the Somme will have to do.

Doug

#12 Cockney Sparrow

Cockney Sparrow

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:British infantry operations on the Western Front 1914-18. Keen book collector/researcher. Long-term WFA member.

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:42 PM

Is there a list somewhere of dates/places forBill MacCormick's talks on Gommecourt (both 56th London and 46th Midland Division related)? I would dearly like to catch these. Thanks.

#13 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,306 posts
  • Interests:concert parties; Salonika esp. 7th OBLI; arts in WW1; my cats; Save the Strays; Northampton Saints RFC

Posted 08 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

You could always try asking Bill himself.

Here is the intro for Bill's evening with Northamptonshire WFA:

14th June Alan MacDonald - The Attack at Gommecourt
Alan is the author of Pro Patria Mori: The 56th (1st London) Division at Gommecourt, 1st July 1916
A meticulous researcher, his book must stand as the definitive account of this costly diversion. He explains “my mother’s uncle 4540 Rfm Charles Robert Tompson from Watford joined the 1/9th London Regt (Queen Victoria's Rifles) on the outbreak of war. At 7.30 a.m. on Saturday, 1st July 1916 he climbed out of the British trenches opposite Gommecourt and trudged forward; he was never seen again. He is one of the 'Missing of the Somme' whose name is recorded on the Thiepval Memorial that sits glowering over the battlefield.”

That was the backdrop on BBC TV a couple of years ago for Alan’s memorable exchange with the descendant of the General in command that day, one Dan Snow.

:::::::::::::::::

The meeting starts at the Ex-Servicemen's Club, Sheep Street, Northampton (Dave - that's NORTHAMPTON, junction 16 of the M1 from your starting point. You'd be surprised at the number of folk who confuse the two). You are also welcome to join us in The Moon on the Sqaure where we feed and water (?) our speakers before each meeting.

#14 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 773 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for that Kate, But as I already guessed would happen ... Fly to Mexico June 10th for 2 weeks R&R, Bill's talk to the Northampton WFA June 16th oh well, as Roy & Doug have already said I have the trip to the Somme next weekend to look forward to.
Dave

#15 Kate Wills

Kate Wills

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 8,306 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:12 PM

erm Dave, that should be June 14th

#16 bmac

bmac

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:10 PM

Auchonvillers 9th June. Northampton 14th June. London 5th July. Leicester and Rutland 20th August. Gwent WFA 26th September. Just like being back on a rock and roll tour. I should get some t-shirts made up.

Sorry to be the cause of all this angst. I wouldn't worry, the talk is rubbish. :unsure:

#17 Dawleyjockey

Dawleyjockey

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 773 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

erm Dave, that should be June 14th

Kate,
I did say I was getting into a mess Nottingham err no Northampton and now June 16th err no June 14th

I do have an excuse..... it's my birthday today !! perhaps I have over done the Polish Vodka this Easter birthday holiday

Dave

#18 Doug Lewis

Doug Lewis

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Bill
If your book is anything to go by, I'm sure it won't be. Dave and Roy, it looks like we will have to arrange a South Staffs Pals trip to One of the other venues.

Regards Doug.

#19 RoyEvans

RoyEvans

Brigadier-General

• Admin
  • 2,796 posts
    Fly Fishing

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

Bill
If your book is anything to go by, I'm sure it won't be. Dave and Roy, it looks like we will have to arrange a South Staffs Pals trip to One of the other venues.

Regards Doug.

Nothants looks good to me.

Roy (who realises that we've completely highjacked John's original post).

#20 Cockney Sparrow

Cockney Sparrow

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:British infantry operations on the Western Front 1914-18. Keen book collector/researcher. Long-term WFA member.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

Auchonvillers 9th June. Northampton 14th June. London 5th July. Leicester and Rutland 20th August. Gwent WFA 26th September. Just like being back on a rock and roll tour. I should get some t-shirts made up.

Sorry to be the cause of all this angst. I wouldn't worry, the talk is rubbish. :unsure:

Thanks for the date info - specific locations and times would be good to know as well! Do the different locations have a different slant e.g. London would be on 56th Division aspects but Northampton might be 46th focused?

And I doubt very much if the talk will be rubbish.

Thanks again for the info.

#21 bmac

bmac

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 09:11 AM

London more 56th
Northampton, Leicester 46th
Gwent 46th with an emphasis on the Monmouthshire Pioneers.

I don't yet have the full details except for this Saturday and the 9th June.

#22 trenchtrotter

trenchtrotter

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,184 posts
  • Interests:The Western Front (all aspects, all nations). Collecting Great War militaria (uniforms and equipment). Visiting the battlefields (all areas, not just the British areas). Meeting fellow enthusiasts, good beer and French wine! Oh and Daleks!!!

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:04 PM

bmac.

Superb and informative talk today. Thanks

TT

#23 John(txic)

John(txic)

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 718 posts
    Fleet Air Arm
    The Royal Navy
    Black Metal

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:39 AM

Roy, Doug, Dave - you missed a treat...... :P

#24 Doug Lewis

Doug Lewis

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,116 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:23 PM

John
You missed a great weekend on the Somme :rolleyes:

Doug