Sister Christina Jack RRC

3 replies to this topic

#1 woundwort

woundwort

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

In the Women and he VC thread, I mentioned that I thought the Thurso war memorial has a woman's name on it. Other readers will be able to confirm how common this is, but I checked and she was indeed from the Great War.

Sister Christina Jack of Janetstown, Thurso serving with the Queen Alexandra Reserves has little to no profile in local sources such as Voices in the Wind or Sword of the North beyond confirmation of her death (but not location and date). There's a family grave from which I could glean more, but the weather is inclement today and I see from the archives that Jim Strawbridge has a photograph; and those readers with RRC details should have more.

#2 woundwort

woundwort

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 32 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:31 PM

There was another woman from Caithness who received the RRC (Feb 1916), and gets a write-up in the two books I mentioned. Christina Tait Mackay from Lyth was Matron at 5th Souther General, Plymouth:

The building was quickly fitted out for the reception of patients and the first was admitted 10 days after the Salisbury Road school had been taken over: he was a sick man belonging to the garrison; and others were to follow. The last day in August saw the first convoy of wounded soldiers arrive from France; these numbered 102, and their arrival will be remembered by many Plymouth people. A fortnight later the second party of wounded, numbering 135, arrived, and particular interest was attached to this convoy as it included an Officer and 14 men belonging to the German Army. The third convoy came in October, and in the same month several sick men belonging to the First canadian Contingent were admitted from the transports, and another party of 130 wounded received from France.

November saw six houses in the Queen Gate taken over for the Sisters' Quarters and the staff housed in the vicinity of the hospital. The hospital work now was in full swing, and by the end of the year a contingent of nurses had been sent from the hospital to serve overseas.

#3 royalredcross

royalredcross

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 339 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

She has a file in the National Archives at WO 399/4177. It will cost 3.50 to download but might be worth it.
NGG

#4 Sue Light

Sue Light

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Re the ARRC:
Christina Jack, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve
Sister, 1st Birmingham War Hospital, Rednall
RRC 2nd Class (ARRC), London Gazette 21 June 1918
Died 22/10/18, award sent to Scottish Command 11 December 1918

TNA Reference: WO145/1, page 448

It's not unusual for women to be named on war memorials. I'm sure Jim knows how many there are, but it must run into many hundreds.

Sue

Reply to this topic