Remembered Today:

Photo

Nominal Rolls Royal Field Artillery TA Brigades?

3 replies to this topic

#1 E Wilcock

E Wilcock

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:4th South Midland Brigade RFA and other family participation in World War 1

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:25 PM

Is there anywhere I might find the nominal roll of the Gloucester C Battery of the 1st South Midland TA Brigade of the Royal Field Artillery?
In the artillery reorganisation this battery became part of 240 Brigade.

I have the surnames of men from the Gloucester Battery mentioned in a memoir and am attempting to identify them, using medal cards.
I would welcome expert advice as to whether lists might exist, and if not how one might proceed?

Some are very common surnames and proving impossible - even searching for 825*** numbers.
Nominal rolls for the Bristol Battery are on the Bristol Gunners website created by Derek Driscoll.

But we are in search of Gloucester.

#2 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,520 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hello

Records of County TF Associations are mostly now held by the relevant County Record Office. If they have them they should be able to tell you whether any nominal rolls are among them: if not, they may be able to suggest another military or local museum which might have them.

The RA Museum at Woolwich, FIREPOWER!, may have something, or again they may know where the rolls are held, if they have survived.

All of these suggestions are rather long shots but asmost such museums and offices now have websites you should be able to contact them by e-mail to ask what they have, and possibly save yourself a fruitless visit.

As you live in London, you might like to look at the actual medal index rolls, which are on microfilm at Kew in class WO329. You should be able to use the MIC info you have to identify a few pages in the roll, and scroll backwards or forwards from there. The rolls are normally in service number order so as you know the relevant number block you should be able to get a rough-cut version of the list of men who served with the battery. Once you have established men's identities with some confidence, including their service numbers, cross-checking with the CWGC "Roll of Honour" database on www.cwgc.org will help you to confirm those who died.

It could be a long, slow job and I wish you well, but at least you should be able to find out fairly quickly whether you are on a wild goose chase or not.

Ron

#3 David Porter

David Porter

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,022 posts
  • Interests:Somerset Royal Horse Artillery and the other RHA TF batteries, RH & RFA 6 figure numbers.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:12 PM

Some are very common surnames and proving impossible - even searching for 825*** numbers.
Nominal rolls for the Bristol Battery are on the Bristol Gunners website created by Derek Driscoll.

But we are in search of Gloucester.

Should not members of the Gloucester battery be mixed in with others and all renumbered together?
Derek Driscoll has these lists 825000 to 826000 and 826001 to 826821

#4 E Wilcock

E Wilcock

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:4th South Midland Brigade RFA and other family participation in World War 1

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Thank you both for explaining how one can check via the Medal Index Rolls at Kew -

I have found many medal cards for 243 Brigade men but didnt know one could use the information on them to do this.

Neither did I understand that Derek Driscoll's two lists (links given) were based on these rolls and included the Gloucester Battery.
I knew most of my surnames were on his list. So began by assuming they were the right people. But then I had doubts and went back and deleted them from my footnotes because by then I was convinced they were people with the same names who came from Bristol!
Thank you so much for explaining all this. It is really hard to know how to handle the records.

I will use Derek's site for checking the Gloucester men and in due course follow his example at the PRO to see if I can compile a list of the 1916 intake to 243 Brigade which remains our primary interest.

Feeling much more cheerful now and thank you once again for guiding me.