2 replies to this topic

#1 MacM

MacM

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:North Irish Horse

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

I'm looking for a reference to a William Blakes, RFC, apparently reported as missing about 7 May 1917. He was later reported as a POW. If anyone has access to The Sky their Battlefield (or any other reference that might help) I'd be most grateful.

#2 Dolphin

Dolphin

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,795 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:39 AM

Pte W C Blake of No 20 Sqn RFC was the observer in FE2d A5149, flown by Lt A W Martin, when the aeroplane was forced to land behind the German lines while on a bombing mission on 7 May 1917. The FE was captured when it landed on the aerodrome used by Jasta 18, and a victory was credited to Ltn Walter von Bülow-Bothkamp; it was the 13th of his eventual 28 victories. A5149 was subsequently used by the Germans for aerial photography.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

#3 MacM

MacM

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:North Irish Horse

Posted 15 April 2012 - 09:32 AM

Pte W C Blake of No 20 Sqn RFC was the observer in FE2d A5149, flown by Lt A W Martin, when the aeroplane was forced to land behind the German lines while on a bombing mission on 7 May 1917. The FE was captured when it landed on the aerodrome used by Jasta 18, and a victory was credited to Ltn Walter von Bülow-Bothkamp; it was the 13th of his eventual 28 victories. A5149 was subsequently used by the Germans for aerial photography.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

That's perfect, thanks Gareth!