Photo

Currently Unknown Lincolnshire Officer

11 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:10th and 1/5th Lincolnshire Battalions<br />D Company; 2/5th Duke of Wellington's.<br />The men that served from the village of Bonby

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi.
Was recently loaned a card of two officers, one of whom was in the Lincolns. I have attached pics of both but cropped them seperately to keep size and detail. I think the older man may be the younger mans father, but this is based on their similarity rather than fact.
What i wanted to check with the experts on the forum were the insignia and what facts they gave before i had a go at trying to narrow down who the Lincs officer may be.
Lincs officer - Is the medal ribbon a Military Medal, which if so would indicate he was commissioned from the ranks, and must have been commissioned 1916 onwards. Also do the three chevrons on his cuff indicate overseas service from 1915 through to 1918.
Attached File  lincs officer 001 (561x800) (449x640).jpg   73.59KB   4 downloads

The officer pictured next to him, whom i believe to be his father or at least a relative is attached in the post below, but would really appreciate some help on his collar badge, or anything else anyone can pick up from his insignia.

Much appreciated
Chris

The second officer
Attached File  lincs officer 001 (561x800) (449x640) (449x640).jpg   66.17KB   3 downloads

#2 Staffsyeoman

Staffsyeoman

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,283 posts
  • Interests:Royal Warwickshire Regiment, Medals and Awards, uniform

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm afraid I've just gone cross-eyed trying to look, but think the medal ribbon might be a Military Cross and Bar. Enlargements appreciated..

#3 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 938 posts
  • Interests:10th and 1/5th Lincolnshire Battalions<br />D Company; 2/5th Duke of Wellington's.<br />The men that served from the village of Bonby

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

Phil
Thanks for the suggestion. I have scanned the medal ribbon to the best quality i can get it as well as the shoulder title of the older officer.

Attached File  medal ribbon 001.jpg   9.88KB   1 downloads
Attached File  shoulder tit 001.jpg   25.83KB   3 downloads

Cheers
Chris

#4 Ellsbells

Ellsbells

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:29 PM

The older man's cap badge looks like the General Service badge to me.

#5 old owl

old owl

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi Chris,

The medal ribbon on the Lincolns officer is the Military Medal. His father? is wearing the General Service badge and collar with 'V' for volunteers beneath it :thumbsup:

Hope this helps,

Robert

#6 old owl

old owl

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

Just noticed the three chevrons which you mentioned. As far as I am aware these denote service for 1915/16/17-- as you say, so it is more likely that he was commissioned in late 1917 or early 1918.

If you have a name for him, it may be possible to confirm all these details.

Robert

#7 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 938 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Thank you both of you. Robert - sadly i do not have a name, hence why i was checking the clues first. I can now start compiling a list of possibles and maybe possibly (although unlikely) suss out who they might be.

Thanks for the help
Chris

#8 Andrew Upton

Andrew Upton

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,568 posts
  • Interests:Collecting the uniforms, arms, accoutrements and medals primarily of the Commonwealth countries from WW1, as well as being a member of the Great War living history group The Vickers Machine Gunners Society 1914-45. Looking for anything militarily related to the names of COSST, DENSLEY, DUREPAIRE, SHOPLAND and UPTON.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Also do the three chevrons on his cuff indicate overseas service from 1915 through to 1918.

Just noticed the three chevrons which you mentioned. As far as I am aware these denote service for 1915/16/17-- as you say, so it is more likely that he was commissioned in late 1917 or early 1918.

The answer to the first part is - not necessarily. When Overseas Service Chevrons were first issued in 1918, the individual was entitled to their first chevron the first day they served overseas. For a soldier who served in 1914 this would be red, for soldiers who had not served in 1914 this would be blue, as every subsequent stripe would be. Entitlement to each subsequent stripe was only when 12 months further overseas service (with an allowance of up to 4 weeks home leave to count towards it) was accumulated.

So it is possible for service to be interupted by wounds, home service, etc, and not accumulate a neat set of time. Service early post-war counted as well, so it could possibly be reflected there as well.

#9 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

Hi.
Was recently loaned a card of two officers, . I think the older man may be the younger mans father, but this is based on their similarity rather than fact.

The officer pictured next to him, whom i believe to be his father or at least a relative .

Much appreciated
Chris

Hi Chris, not much help to you, but I don't think that the "older" soldier is quite as old as we may think, he has the wartime 'tired' look and the moustache adds to his older appearance. if they are related he may be an older brother or cousin, but I certainly don't think they are father and son.

khaki

#10 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 938 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:43 PM

Andrew and khaki
Only just spotted the last two replies. Thank you both for the advice and suggestions

Chris

#11 high wood

high wood

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,522 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:37 AM

In the case of the Lincolnshire Regiment officer you should consider looking for a Second Lieutenant who was commissioned from the ranks after winning the Military Medal possibly with another regiment. The photograph dates from early 1918 at the earliest because of the presence of the overseas chevron. There cannot have been too many Second Lieutenants in the Lincolnshire Regiment entitled to the M.M. in 1918.

#12 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 4,027 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

Here are a few possibles, but I can't find any military fathers so far;

2nd Lt Arthur Charles Needham MM - Commissioned 25/6/1918
2nd Lt Harry Jeynes MC MM (probably not him - had MC in 17/12/1917). KIA 22/3/1918.
2nd Lt John Gilbert Pippet MM - KIA 29/5/1918
2nd Lt (A/Cpt) Charles Richard Davey MM- DOW 30/10/1918
2nd Lt William Algernon Tapsell DCM, MM- KIA 18/09/1918
Lt William Edward Frost MM - KIA 8/10/1919 (one of Corisande's men)