10 replies to this topic

#1 biffrocks

biffrocks

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:52 AM

Hi

I picked up this very interesting flag this morning and am wondering if it is related to the Royal Navy and how old it maybe.

I would appreciate and welcome any help or advice as I can't seem to find anything like it.

Best wishes

Rob

Posted Image

Posted Image

Additional close up photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 dundeesown

dundeesown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,776 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Nice flag but the sock has been in the wars :whistle:
Gary

#3 biffrocks

biffrocks

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:35 AM

Nice flag but the sock has been in the wars :whistle:
Gary

HiI know but there my lucky Sunday morning car boots socks and can't throw them out as again they didn't fail me this morning with the flag and aslo a WW2 radio / navigators log book.Do you have any ideas about the flag and it's date.
Rob

#4 seaJane

seaJane

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:The West Africa squadron in the 1840s; naval medicine; First World War, especially in poetry, art and fiction

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

Nothing to do with the RN as far as I can see. Looks more like an unofficial celebration flag for a Royal visit: the quarters that don't hold the Union flag have the Royal Standard, apart from one that I can't make out on the far side.

#5 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:43 AM

I agree with seaJane. A pot-mess of assorted bunting tacked together on a flag of St George. Half the Union Flags are sewn on upside-down. Not a product of Her Majesty's Navy. Nice for a Jubilee celebration - thinking of which.....

#6 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Posted Image

If that is the flag of the USA situated half way down the right hand side
then counting the number of stars (indicating the number of states in the union) may give you a clue to the date

#7 biffrocks

biffrocks

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 238 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:20 PM

Posted Image

If that is the flag of the USA situated half way down the right hand side
then counting the number of stars (indicating the number of states in the union) may give you a clue to the date

HiThere are 26 stars o the USA flag and Texas has it's on flag, the flag hs some real age to it. It shows other Countries Man of War flags. Could it date back to the early Victorian period
Rob

#8 seaJane

seaJane

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:The West Africa squadron in the 1840s; naval medicine; First World War, especially in poetry, art and fiction

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:51 PM

I think that's the Imperial Russian double-headed eagle, Nicholas II-style, in the top left. If I am right and the flag is that specific (and not an earlier czar), and if the flag is contemporary (and not a modern historical construct), then it has to date 1894-1917.

Might be worth contacting the Victoria & Albert Museum http://www.vam.ac.uk...workers-centre/ in case they'd be willing to advise.

#9 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

HiThere are 26 stars o the USA flag and Texas has it's on flag, the flag hs some real age to it. It shows other Countries Man of War flags. Could it date back to the early Victorian period
Rob

From Wiki:
Mexico controlled the territory until 1836 when Texas won its independence, becoming an independent Republic. In 1845 it joined the United States as the 28th state

Victoria's coat of arms (not the Hanovarian) is that used on the flag, which dates it as post 1837

EDIT: also per Wiki - the flag of the USA had 26 stars between the dates July 4, 1837 July 3, 1845

Edited by michaeldr, 15 April 2012 - 06:14 PM.

#10 khaki

khaki

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,189 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:18 PM

I get the impression that the purpose of the construction of the flag was educational/patriotic, reminds me of the sort of thing they liked to display on school hall walls at one time.

khaki

#11 michaeldr

michaeldr

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:37 PM

From Wiki:
Mexico controlled the territory until 1836 when Texas won its independence, becoming an independent Republic. In 1845 it joined the United States as the 28th state

Victoria's coat of arms (not the Hanovarian) is that used on the flag, which dates it as post 1837

EDIT: also per Wiki - the flag of the USA had 26 stars between the dates July 4, 1837 July 3, 1845

The United Kingdoms of Sweden & Norway Union Jack is shown and that appears to date from 1844 (per Wiki)

Suggesting the design is from 1844/45
but when the flag is from.........................?

SJ's suggestion is sound I think