Photo

NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY

4 replies to this topic

#1 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,584 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:06 PM

Is it safe to assume that any British Soldier buried in NIEDERZWEHREN was a PoW?

NIEDERZWEHREN CEMETERY
Historical Information
The cemetery was begun by the Germans in 1915 for the burial of prisoners of war who died at the local camp. During the war almost 3,000 Allied soldiers and civilians, including French, Russian and Commonwealth, were buried there.
http://www.cwgc.org/...WEHREN CEMETERY

John

#2 Sandie

Sandie

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,596 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

On a hill near to the village is the cemetery made by the Germans for the burial of Prisoners of War who died at the local camp, called Niederzwehren
The cemetery was in use from March, 1915, onwards, and during the War almost 3,000 Allied soldiers or civilians (including 1,280 French, 1068 Russian, and 272 British) were buried in it. In 1922 the cemetery was chosen as one of the four permanent cemeteries to which the British dead in Germany should be gathered, and in the following four years 1,535 graves were brought in from 190 cemeteries in Baden, Bavaria, Hanover, Hesse, Saxony, and Westphalia.

This, from an earlier post, suggests that the original cemetery was for POWs but after 1922 British dead from the areas mentioned were moved there. I assume only those from the original burials (pre 1922) were all POWs.

#3 AOK4

AOK4

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Indeed, all people buried there were POWs. I visited the emetery last month, it is really in the middle of nowhere.

#4 nils d

nils d

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 247 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:48 PM

Indeed, all people buried there were POWs. I visited the emetery last month, it is really in the middle of nowhere.

Not all were POWs , there were some RAF fatalities from raids on German towns.
is it visited that often if its as isolated as you say AOK4?

Not all were POWs , there were some RAF fatalities from raids on German towns.
is it visited that often if its as isolated as you say AOK4?

#5 archangel9

archangel9

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,584 posts
  • Interests:Connaught Rangers. Cycling. Great War.

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the replies.

John