#1 Matilda1973

Matilda1973

Corporal

• Members2
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi All,
this is my first post on here so sorry if im doing this a bit wrong
i am trying to find some info on my g-grans brothers time in WW1 they were all born in Wellington Somerset. i have looked on ancestry and have managed to find a medal card for one and a death for another.will list what i have below

Bernard Fred Lane Birth Place: Wellington, Som. Death Date: 15 Oct 1918 Death Location: Home Enlistment Location: Wellington, Som. Rank: Private Regiment Labour Corps Number: 142265 Type of Casualty: Died Theatre of War: Home Comments: Formerly 27762, Devon Regt.

Fredrick Perryman Lane i believe was a conscientious objector in ww1 and was sent to south wales (Family story)

Thomas William Lane, have a small newspaper cutting with no yr on it."" Sapper t Lane RE one of four men and an NCO mentioned in an extract from a field company of the royal engineers dated 13th august.the officer commanding has read with much pleasure a report from second-lieut Leary RE of extremely gallant conduct under very heavy shell fire of the undermentioned NCO and men when he and Second-Lieut Figgs of the Royal Irish Fusiliers were wounded and he wishes to thank them for maintaining the high traditions of their corps by there actions

George Woolway Lane I think, is Private 1571, West Somerset Yeomanry / 295343 Somerset Light Infantry. (medal card on ancestry)

Henry John Lane ihave 2 photos of him in uniform note on rear of 1 photo postcard gives location as military hospital Devanport date stamped 5pm 5/12/1916 was suggested he was in Royal Army Medical Corps from uniform.

Frank Snook lane 1899 i know nothing about him at all
ive failed to find anything else on ancestry about any of them and wondered if anyone could help
Many thanks Louise

#2 raysearcher

raysearcher

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:59 PM

Hi Matilda
Bernard F Lane Son of Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Lane, of Springfield Rd., Wellington; husband of Annie Louisa Lane, of 140, Rockwell Green, Wellington
can be found here
regards Ray

this post has been edited to show correct link

(wrong link ) previously posted in error

#3 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Hope you don't mind me mentioning but your post has applied a 'scatter gun' approach who is a bit confusing.

It's much better to post a specific question, Also this post is in 'look-ups' rather than the probably more effective 'Soldiers';
had you posted there it would first have directed you to the parent site, the Long Long Trail where there is lots of advice http://www.1914-1918...dad/grandad.htm

For example Bernard Lane was probably wounded or became sick while serving with the Devon Regiment and after transfer to the Labour Corps did not serve overseas and 'died' implying sickness, the other categories are killed in action or died of wounds.
You should look at the CWGC site which will tell you where he was buried, often local newspapers gave extensive coverage to funerals at home.

Then again there are experts on Conscientous Objectors or the Yeomanry who will miss your post because of the catch all title and so on

People are willing to help but need to know what you're looking for.

Ken

#4 Matilda1973

Matilda1973

Corporal

• Members2
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

thanks to both of you for your replys,
i have read through the Long Long trail site, i have tryed to find them on ancestry with no luck. i dont live near london and with a young family a trip there isnt going to happen in the near future. i wasnt sure where to put this and did say it maybe not done quite right. so i appolgise agian.
was just hoping someone could give me some ideas about where they may of been and what it would of been like for them ,
thanks agian Louise

#5 Grantowi

Grantowi

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,095 posts
  • Interests:Men of the GWR works in Swindon who gave their lives for their country

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:13 AM

Bernards death was registered in Amesbury, Wiltshire (4th qt / 1918 / vol 5A / page 330 / age 39)
Amesbury is the nearest town to Bulford Army Camp,

CWGC - http://www.cwgc.org/...E, BERNARD FRED

Grant

#6 Grantowi

Grantowi

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,095 posts
  • Interests:Men of the GWR works in Swindon who gave their lives for their country

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

The F S Lane listed on the CWGC site (116183, Sherwood Foresters) is for a Francis Sydney Lane, born in Leicester
So you can take him off the list

Grant

Ps - If you ask the Mods nicely they might stick this in "Soldiers" as Ken suggested. It will get more views up there

#7 kenf48

kenf48

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:16 AM

Louise

No need to apologise I was just trying to help. Although the web makes it seem relatively easy to research a soldier it's not that straightforward as you have found. You already have quite a lot of data, the point is from a family history point of you what do you want to do with it. As a general principle it's probably best to find out as much as you can about one person, the history and social background and then move on to the next person on your tree, or one research objective at a time.

For example if looking for help regarding Frederick Lane it would be seen by those interested in the topic if his name and 'Conscientous Objector' was included in the heading.

Ken

#8 Alan Tucker

Alan Tucker

Brigadier-General

• R.I.P.
  • 1,989 posts
  • Interests:Birmingham and the Great War
    Devonshire Regiment

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:45 PM

Re the conscientious objector. If he was in Wellington when conscription began there are useful reports of the Wellington Local Tribunal in the Wellington Weekly News held at the new County Record Office in Norton Fitzwarren.

The paper also contained from time to time lists of Wellington men serving.

#9 Matilda1973

Matilda1973

Corporal

• Members2
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks everyone,
sorry in the delay in replying been away, will aim at doing them one at a time and see how i go, the taunton record office is on my list of things to do i hear the new center is great.
thanks agian for all ur help Louise