Haidar Pasha Cemetery, Istanbul

12 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

Is anyone visiting Haidar Pasha Cemetery in the near future, I have a request for one grave photo.

Thank you

Peter

#2 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:02 PM

The best of luck, Peter. Haidar Pasha CWGC is next to Turkish Army military establishment (a military hospital) and as with all Turksih military bases, any form of photography there is strictly forbidden. I've been prevented from taking photos there.

But if you insist, take a cheap camera with a small card, or something similar you can afford to lose. Don't use your cell-phone unless you are prepared to see it consfiscated.

#3 TRAJAN

TRAJAN

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,873 posts
  • Location:Here and there twixt Turkey, UK and Germany for the next 5 months.
  • Interests:Roman archaeology, bayonets, WWI in general, English cheese and beer and smoked back bacon

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi Hedley,

Is your comment on Haidar Pasha cemetery based on recent experience? I only ask because at least as far as my own experience goes, with archaeological sites at any rate, the Turkish military seem to be getting a bit more relaxed about photography near or next to military bases. Well, only a bit more relaxed, but even so, certainly a bit more relaxed than these new-fangled versions of police and other 'specials' that have recently been preventing people from taking photo's of 'sensitive' places / corporate buildings / olympic venues in London!

Trajan

#4 ChrisC

ChrisC

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 858 posts
  • Interests:Oxfordshire Yeomanry (QOOH), Queen's Royal Regiment (West Surrey), Royal Navy.

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

The War Graves Photographic Project photographed the whole site a couple of years ago on our trip to Turkey. It is indeed next to a barracks but no one paid any attention to us. It is a CWGC site after all!
Chris C

#5 Hedley Malloch

Hedley Malloch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

My experience was in 2007 or 2008. I took one photo of the CWGC sign at the entrance before being approached by sentries.

Taking photographs in delineated areas around Turkish military bases (in this case a hospital) is against the law. Now whether or not people get away with it is another matter dependent upon the attitude of the sentries, whether or not one is seen, if Colonel Bulent Jobsworth is the officer i/c on the day, etc. etc. My point is that to take a photograph there is to give a hostage to fortune so take precautions - if you insist on taking photos, don't taken any kit or equipment you can't afford to lose. And don't point your camera in the direction of the hospital.

#6 Tonym

Tonym

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 782 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:25 PM

I visited Haida Pssha cemetery in 2006 with a Leger Tour led by Paul Reed and we had no problems at all even taking photographs throughout the cemetery. My daughter even took photographs of the hospital from the cemetery. However the tour was obliged to take on an official Turkish guide as well as Paul so whether that made a difference to their security I wouldn't know but we had no problems regarding photography, but that was six years ago.

Tony

#7 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:19 PM

Despite the conflicting opinions I am just re-booting this in case anyone might be visiting.

Thank you

Peter

#8 frev

frev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:32 AM

Peter - I'll be there next month.
If you want to give me your grave details.....and keep your fingers crossed....I'll see what I can do!
Cheers, Frev

#9 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:03 AM

Peter - I'll be there next month.
If you want to give me your grave details.....and keep your fingers crossed....I'll see what I can do!
Cheers, Frev

Brilliant Frev !

Thank you very much, I only need one so I will PM you the details

Regards

Peter

#10 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:15 AM

A public thank you to Frev for her kindness in taking the photos.

Glad you were not arrested or shot !!

#11 frev

frev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 05:31 AM

Glad you were not arrested or shot !!

Me too! :ph34r: Especially since that would have blown my chance of meeting up with you a week later in France!
Which reminds me - I still have more photos to send you....

#12 Peter Bennett

Peter Bennett

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,574 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 01:20 PM

Me too! :ph34r: Especially since that would have blown my chance of meeting up with you a week later in France!
Which reminds me - I still have more photos to send you....

The pleasure was all mine.

As Humphrey Bogart said to Claude Rains in the closing scene of Casablanca, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
ps many thanks for the France photos

#13 frev

frev

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

As Humphrey Bogart said to Claude Rains in the closing scene of Casablanca, "I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."

Hmmm....and back here in miserable, wet, freezing cold Victoria....I could well imagine walking off into the 'mist' as that friendship was contemplated.......