Photo

Insignia Permitted on Service Greatcoat

4 replies to this topic

#1 mark holden

mark holden

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Sherwood Foresters, Lincolns, Worcestershire Regiments. <br />Officers Uniforms and effects.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:38 PM

I wonder if anyone can assit me in confirming what insignia or badges other than rank badges were allowed to be worn on the greatcoat. I have a picture of wound stripes being worn on the greatcoat but was anything else allowed?

Many thanks

Mark

#2 Lancashire Fusilier

Lancashire Fusilier

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,701 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:05 PM

I wonder if anyone can assit me in confirming what insignia or badges other than rank badges were allowed to be worn on the greatcoat. I have a picture of wound stripes being worn on the greatcoat but was anything else allowed?

Many thanks

Mark

Mark,
There is a Thread running at the moment entitled " Greatcoats ", take a look at posts #16 & #18, they show examples of WW1 period Greatcoats with various sleeve insignia.
I understand there were restrictions on the type of badges which could be worn on the greatcoat sleeve, and I am sure another member will detail those restrictions for you.
LF

#3 mark holden

mark holden

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 866 posts
  • Interests:Sherwood Foresters, Lincolns, Worcestershire Regiments. <br />Officers Uniforms and effects.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:24 AM

Thanks LF a useful thread.

Mark

#4 GRUMPY

GRUMPY

Lieut-General

• Old Sweat
  • 10,701 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

away from my sources but the basic rule was to wear shoulder titles, rank and little or nothing else. I have seen the Geneva Cross on examples.

Of course, in war and in the line, a man might get away with much. Not so at the Channel ports, and the London railway stations, swarming with bored redcaps.

#5 mark holden

mark holden

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 866 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:52 PM

Grumpy,

Many thanks. I attach this picture of three soldiers all wearing wound stripes on their greatcoats.

regards

Mark

Attached Files