Photo

310 Brigade RFA, 62nd Division

9 replies to this topic

#1 saw119

saw119

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Royal Field Artillery, Woollen's from Sheffield, social history of trench life

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Does anyone have any information on this artillery brigade from 1917 onwards? There doesn't seem to be a war diary? (I could be wrong, I frequently am!) I have looked at the LLT entry. What would they have done? I don't even know that!

#2 Terry_Reeves

Terry_Reeves

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,830 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 10:56 AM

The war diary is at the National Archives:

WO 95/3075 310 Brigade Royal Field Artillery1917 Jan. - 1919 Aug.

TR

#3 Richard Harker

Richard Harker

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:62nd Division in general and Divisional Ammunition Column in particular.<br />10th West Yorks<br />8th East Lancs<br />175th Tunnelling Company RE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:36 AM

There is also Wyrills History of the 62nd Division to give a good overview of what the division was doing.

But the publication you really need in addition to the War Diary is a History of the 62nd Division Artillery written by the CRA, Anderson??
Sorry can't quote the title or author with a great deal of confidence off the top of my head, I will post again from home tonight with more accurate details , I have in the past borrowed it from the National Library, but it is online and I will hopefully be able to let you have the details of where it can be downloaded from tonight.

Richard

#4 Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:The units that fought around Croisilles and Fontaine-les-Croisilles 1917-8,

The Universities and Public Schools Brigade Royal Fusiliers

Also the 'Immortals' of Festubert

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Saw, Richard

The book by Anderson can be found here.

http://archive.org/d...icesof62n00ande

If I remember correctly some content is similar to the Divisional History.

Kind Regards

Colin

#5 saw119

saw119

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Royal Field Artillery, Woollen's from Sheffield, social history of trench life

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:41 PM

The war diary is at the National Archives:

WO 95/3075 310 Brigade Royal Field Artillery1917 Jan. - 1919 Aug.

TR

Ahh, ok but it can't be downloaded electronically it appears.

#6 Richard Harker

Richard Harker

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:62nd Division in general and Divisional Ammunition Column in particular.<br />10th West Yorks<br />8th East Lancs<br />175th Tunnelling Company RE

Posted 24 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Saw, Richard

The book by Anderson can be found here.

http://archive.org/d...icesof62n00ande

If I remember correctly some content is similar to the Divisional History.

Kind Regards

Colin

Thats the one Colin, saved me a job.

Cheers

Richard

#7 saw119

saw119

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

Is the Divisional history available online as well, does anyone know?

#8 Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:The units that fought around Croisilles and Fontaine-les-Croisilles 1917-8,

The Universities and Public Schools Brigade Royal Fusiliers

Also the 'Immortals' of Festubert

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:57 PM

Saw

Sadly I do not believe it is online. You can buy a reprint from Naval or Military Press in a two volume set for about £20 or look on Abebooks or Ebay for an original for considerably more. The cheapest bet would be to use the inter-library loans service to borrow a copy to look up what you are after.

I'd recommend looking at the war diary to get the best detail of where the brigade served and what it did; bear in mind that often artillery units were detached from their parent divisions to support the infantry of other formations so the divisional history may not be that helpful.

I hope this helps

Kind regards

Colin

#9 Keith Roberts

Keith Roberts

Lieut-General

• Admin
  • 5,562 posts
  • Interests:Researching the war of Greengates, those who served, and the community behind them. Yorkshire regiments, Belgian and other beers.

Posted 25 April 2012 - 04:14 PM

N&M titles are often cheapest through Amazon, giving the GWF a few pennies, but if you are on their mailing list you will find that they run about four sales a year with 20% off everything. Worth waiting for if your needs are expensive.

Keith

#10 saw119

saw119

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 249 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

On the subject of the War Diary it doesn't seem to be available as a pdf download but only as a copy documents item. Does anyone have experience of this, how much will it cost?