5 replies to this topic

#1 for_Earl

for_Earl

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Greetings
This medallion and another was brought back with my grandfather and I cannot identify the reason for it.

The inscription reads.. " Les Petites Roses de la Reine" means .... The Queens little Roses - and the back side has " 1916 - Aide aux petits pour l'amour d'une reine " and I think this means... Helping the children for the sake of a Queen

I found refference to the first quote in a book called..... The Little Corner Never Conquered - The Story of the American Red Cross in Belgium... 1922

It only says that the RC donated money to this organization.

Would it be that back in the day, a medallion was given when a donation was made?

thanks

Denis

Attached Files

#2 von Smallhausen

von Smallhausen

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:WWI in general. Collector of Orders, medals. Continually researching WWI in South West Flanders

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:05 AM

Greetings
This medallion and another was brought back with my grandfather and I cannot identify the reason for it.

The inscription reads.. " Les Petites Roses de la Reine" means .... The Queens little Roses - and the back side has " 1916 - Aide aux petits pour l'amour d'une reine " and I think this means... Helping the children for the sake of a Queen

I found refference to the first quote in a book called..... The Little Corner Never Conquered - The Story of the American Red Cross in Belgium... 1922

Would it be that back in the day, a medallion was given when a donation was made?

thanks

Denis

Hello Dennis,
This patriotic medal is mentioned in : "Le frappe en Belgique occopée" by Charles Lefebure, that's a catalogue of patriotic medals, souvenirs etc. Those medallions were sold to raise money for all kind of organisations, in this case the Red Cross.
kind regards,
Jef

Attached Files

#3 Siege Gunner

Siege Gunner

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 7,682 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

Intriguing. I wonder why it is 'POUR L'AMOUR D'UNE REINE' — 'OF A QUEEN' rather than 'OF THE QUEEN'? The Queen is presumably Queen Elisabeth of the Belgians, who was by birth a Bavarian Wittelsbach princess.

#4 von Smallhausen

von Smallhausen

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:WWI in general. Collector of Orders, medals. Continually researching WWI in South West Flanders

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Greetings

thanks

Denis

Hello again,Dennis,

The story of the Red Cross in Belgium.., do you have that book? I know a medal which was given by the American Red Cross but I'm not able to find any information about it. Could you please check your book if this medal isn't mentioned? The back says: Gifts for Belgian soldiers - Don Croix Rouge Americaine ( + name of recepient). At the front, and in Dutch: 3de Regiment Karabiniers- Melding aan de Dagorde 1918 ( at 12 O' Clock the name Pilckem). By the way, there are three different languages on 1 medal :blink: which is a bit confusing. The ribbon is a Red /White and Blue one.
Kind regards and thanks from Flanders,
Jef

Attached Files

#5 for_Earl

for_Earl

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for that link, - I can't seem to find an electronic copy of Lefebure's book on the net, but your explanation adds up to what I thought.... a token of appreciation.

Here is a quote from the book - The little corner never conquered - The Story of the American Red Cross War Work for Belgium - by John van Schaick, Jr. pg 222

The universal desire to give personal service throughout the war, as well as money, showed itself in a group of young ladies of Belgium, led by the Countess Jacqueline de Liederkerke, calling themselves Les Petites Roses de la Reine, who did a work of house to house visitation in the poorer quarters of the cities under supervision of the National Committee, giving clothing and supplementing the diet for the sick and badly nourished. Their budget grew from 5,000 francs per year in 1914 to 60,000 in 1918. Their accounts and records were admirably kept. We gave them 5,000 francs to go on through the difficult winter days after the armistice. There were many such con secrated groups, the largest and best known being Les Petites Aheilles, or "Little Bees."

So, having that Charles Lefebure books tells me you must have of heck of a reference library.

In so far as "Gifts for Belgian soldiers" that organization is mentioned quite often in the book, but I could not find (via search a pdf) any reference to the remaining words on the medallion you mentioned. If you want, the book is here in the public domain. right side of page is the pdf.http://archive.org/details/littlecornerneve00vans

best regards - Denis

#6 von Smallhausen

von Smallhausen

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 301 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hi Jeff

Thanks for that link, - I can't seem to find an electronic copy of Lefebure's book on the net, but your explanation adds up to what I thought.... a token of appreciation.

Here is a quote from the book - The little corner never conquered - The Story of the American Red Cross War Work for Belgium - by John van Schaick, Jr. pg 222

The universal desire to give personal service throughout the war, as well as money, showed itself in a group of young ladies of Belgium, led by the Countess Jacqueline de Liederkerke, calling themselves Les Petites Roses de la Reine, who did a work of house to house visitation in the poorer quarters of the cities under supervision of the National Committee, giving clothing and supplementing the diet for the sick and badly nourished. Their budget grew from 5,000 francs per year in 1914 to 60,000 in 1918. Their accounts and records were admirably kept. We gave them 5,000 francs to go on through the difficult winter days after the armistice. There were many such con secrated groups, the largest and best known being Les Petites Aheilles, or "Little Bees."

So, having that Charles Lefebure books tells me you must have of heck of a reference library.

In so far as "Gifts for Belgian soldiers" that organization is mentioned quite often in the book, but I could not find (via search a pdf) any reference to the remaining words on the medallion you mentioned. If you want, the book is here in the public domain. right side of page is the pdf.http://archive.org/details/littlecornerneve00vans

best regards - Denis

Hello Dennis,
Sorry for my late reaction, must have overlooked your post. Thank you for the link of the american Red Cross book. You find an E- Lefebure here: http://www.numisbel.be/Lefebure.pdf It really is a jungle of medaillons.....
with kind regards,
Jef