RN Service Records

3 replies to this topic

#1 PBF

PBF

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

My Grandfather-in-law served with the RN during WWI (Official number J23637). I have his service record and I am trying to put together a picture of his service during this time. I am stuck on what the column headed "List and No." means and I am hoping some one out there may be able to help. The column in question is split under the heading "List and No." into two columns and each entry is against a ship name on which he was serving. For example in the "List and No." columns to the right of the ship named Peony are the number 5 in the left column and 21 in the right column. While the numbers in the right column are mainly standard numbers the odd one appears to have a subscript while the left column has numbers with superscripts. For example in the "List and No." columns to the right of the ship named London are the numbers 15II and 479. Similarly the name Pembroke I is followed by 15I2 and 8645. The ship Hecla is followed by 12 81/2 (this should be read as 81 over 2) and 1. I have scoured this Forum for the answer but have either missed it or it is not there. I would be very grateful for any help.

Thanks in advance.

PBF

#2 James Daly

James Daly

Sergeant-Major

• Members3
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

I've always wondered this myself. I think that they refer to the ratings location in the ships/establishments books, but I'm sure someone will be able to confirm or correct this.

#3 horatio2

horatio2

Major-General

• Old Sweat
  • 3,788 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

They are Ship's Book List Numbers:

http://freepages.gen...umbers.htm#1913

#4 PBF

PBF

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:21 AM

Thanks for the link - I should have done this weeks ago. I must say I am very impressed with the speed of reply.

Do the numbers, particularly those with subscript and superscript, help to identify a specific task on board a ship or are they just a further accounting sub-division?

Once again thanks for your very quick reply.

Regards

PBF