10 replies to this topic

#1 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

Good Day All,

I've been doing some voluntary work for Loughborough Museum's, and on a Wednesday get to do my bit at the Carillon Tower & War Memorial Museum.They have a large quantity of bibles belonging to men who would have served with the Leicestershire Regiment and if possible we would like to try and get some of these back to possible family members, local museums, churches or history groups connected to the mans area.

If any of the following men are commemorated on a local memorial or roll of honour and the bible would be of interest to any of the above then please get in touch.

9502 Private George Buxton, 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, died of wounds 21.07.1916, buried at Poperinghe New Military Cemetery,born and resident of Finborough, Suffolk.

9088 L/Cpl Gilbert Frederick Erwood, 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, killed in action 22.10.1914, commemorated on Ploegstreert Memorial, born Hanham, Gloucester and resident of South Tottenham.

9657 Private Arthur Hooton, 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, killed in action 01.03.1915, commemorated on Ploegstreert Memorial, born Trinity, Derby and enlisted Derby.

9212 Private Francis Frederick Thyme, 2nd Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, killed in action 24.11.1914, buried at Le Touret Military Cemetery, born and resident of Hillsborough.

Regards.

Llew.

#2 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

None of the men below have turned up on the Leicestershire County Absent Voters Lists as serving with the Leicestershire Regiment, but I know that some of them have other Regiments/Corps on their MIC's, so I could find them when I finish transcribing the complete lists. I'm also sure that some will be Leicester City men, but the city AVL's do not show whom the man was serving with, just his name and address and that he was Naval/Military service. So could I ask if pals could check to see if any of these men are listed on anything local to them, and if yes, then please get in touch?

9684 ROBERT MCFARLANE BRAMLEY

8119 HERBERT COOKE

8450 GEORGEE DRAPER

9703 GEORGE DODGE

8895 ARTHURE FURNISS

9488 JAMES HUDSON

9615 CYRIL JOHN JACKSON

9145 GEORGE RICHARD LONG

8908 FRANK CHARLES LAWRENCE

9650 JOSEPH MATTISON

9687 EDWIN MERRY

9575 BERTIE EDWARD RAINER

8030 ERNEST SMITH

9531 JOSEPH W STANFORD

9533 ERNEST WALTERS

9638 FRANK WATERFIELD

Regards.

Llew.

#3 david fusilier 21

david fusilier 21

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 09:32 PM

Hello Llew.

The local history group for Hanham are researching all of the names on the Hanham war memorial with a view to publishing a book commerating the end of the war. We are looking for any information ,photos ,anecdotes to put flesh on the bones.

I note that you have a bible for G F Erwood, who is mentioned on this memorial. Could the history group have sight of the bible

Regards

David

#4 anthony ozzy

anthony ozzy

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 517 posts
  • Interests:West & East Haddon, Ravensthorpe and Guilsborough Lads (Northamptonshire) 1914 - 1918 who did not return home.
    Northampton Saints Rugby

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:21 AM

Llew,
Hope all is well with you? Heck of a task you've given yourself! Whilst none of the names you've listed are on any memorials I have looked into, a couple of surnames are familiar due the people I work with in Lutterworth. A very long shot I know but I'll make some enquiries.

All the very best,

Ant

#5 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 29 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

Hello David,

Most definitely, let me get the ball rolling at this end and I'll be back in touch soon.

Cheers Ant, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Llew.

#6 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:02 AM

Good morning David,

The bible has already been passed on to a family member, but I've got some details for you which I'll send over in a personal message.

Regards.

Llew.

#7 david fusilier 21

david fusilier 21

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

good evening Llew.

Thanks for the contact details. We have been able to exchange information so now both parties know more about Erwood.

regards

David

#8 taylors

taylors

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hi

It is with great interest that I have found this post.

The following entry is one of my Gt Gt Uncles who died during WWI:

9502 Private George Buxton, 1st Battalion Leicestershire Regiment, died of wounds 21.07.1916, buried at Poperinghe New Military Cemetery,born and resident of Finborough, Suffolk

I have visited his grave twice in the past two years along with the graves and memorials to his 3 brothers who died during the conflict.

My Gt Grandfather, his brother Arthur William Buxton, was the only one of the 5 brothers to return from the front.

If there is a chance to see his bible I would be very grateful.

Sue

#9 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Good morning Sue,

I seem to recall that George's Bible has already been returned to a family member, but if you can bear with me I'll make an inquiry and get back to you?

Regards.

Adam.

#10 Llew

Llew

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Hello Sue,

The Bible was passed to the church in Finborough.  They were going to display it at a WW1 exhibition about the men of the village who died. We had traced the descendants of George to Norwich and the village committee were going to return George's bible to them at the end of the exhibition.

Regards.

Llew.

#11 taylors

taylors

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 11:11 AM

Hi

Thank you for the information on the bible of George Buxton, greatly appreciated.

Sue