Where is this photo taken?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 01:48 PM

Can anyone identify on a trench map where this location is?

The top sign points to a Dressing Station (I suspect the 4th Australian Field Ambulance)
The sign below states the following (I think!)

Spring Street
To Winter Trench
Wellington(?)
Gas Trench

sign.JPG

And here's an overall of the photo...

Trench.JPG

Any help would be greatly appreciated. These photos are from my Grandfather's collection and I'd like to identify where they were taken.

Cheers,
Tim L.

#2 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,507 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Tim
I'd say Ploegsteert area, sheet 28SW4. They photo looks like breastworks too which would fit.

Michelle

#3 Edward1

Edward1

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 417 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:13 PM

Spring Street and Winter Trench and Autumn Trench are in squares U7&8 on map 28SW4 NE of Le Rossignol.A Wellington Avenue is located in Squares O34b,d,35c and U4a of the same map.
Eddie

#4 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Thanks Michelle, it seems that Eddie has confirmed you to be spot on.

Thanks Eddie for pinpointing it for me.

Is there any chance someone might have a map extract showing the trenches that they might be able to post here?

Cheers,
Tim L.

#5 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:27 PM

Spring Street is here. You can also see Winter Trench

Roger

Attached Images

• Spring Street v1.jpg

#6 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts
  • Interests:311th Brigade RFA. The salient from Boezinge to Ploegsteert and the Arras area. Moseley Rugby Club. British real ale and Belgian Beer.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

And here is Wellington, but much too far from Spring and Winter to be on the same signpost.

Roger

Attached Images

• Wellington Avenue v1.jpg

#7 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:53 AM

Brilliant Roger, thank you very much!!

I have to agree that it can't possibly say 'Wellington'. I've had another look and for the first time noticed a small arrow on the sign at the bottom left corner. It's pointing down and seems to be related to the writing that I initially thought said 'Wellington'. But on closer inspection of the text, I now think it might say...

ENTRY(?) TO
GAS TRENCH

What does everyone else think??

Cheers,
Tim L.

#8 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:02 AM

And just for interest, here's my Grandfather's photo of the 4th Field Ambulance Dressing Station that the sign points to...

4fa dressing station Belgium.jpg

Cheers,
Tim L.

#9 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:06 AM

I think ypou may well be correct. Just a little to the South of Spring etc.

Roger

Tim

Great photos - any more in the collection?

Roger

Attached Images

• Gas Trench v1.jpg

#10 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ah-ha!! That makes sense.

The sign tells you this is the beginning of Spring Street which will take you to another intersection. At the intersection it's either straight ahead into Winter Trench or a right turn into Winnipeg Avenue heading to Gas Trench. Therefore the sign now appears to say:

SPRING STREET
TO WINTER TRENCH
TURNING TO
GAS TRENCH (with an arrow pointing the way)

Cheers,
Tim L.

#11 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

Yes Roger, my Grandfather had a number of photos in his collection. The most interesting are from Gallipoli as most of his Western Front photos are just of smashed buildings. Some can be identified as Albert and a few he wrote the town names on the back. Only the couple above are of trenches and/or camps but there are a few of cemeteries which might be of interest.

The first of these has written on the back 'Woomerzeele' (which I imagine to be 'Voormezele')

Voormezele.jpg

And another one is an unknown location. I'd be really interested to know if anyone can identify where this is but I'm not holding my breath.

Unknown Cemetery.jpg

Cheers,
Tim L.

#12 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for taking the time to post these latest two pics Tim. You never know, someone might be able to identify the location - stranger things have happened on this forum!

Roger

#13 mebu

mebu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:34 PM

And another one is an unknown location. I'd be really interested to know if anyone can identify where this is but I'm not holding my breath

With the proximity of farm and high trees in background could this be Underhill? Quite possible.

Peter

#14 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Peter,

Now that is a coincidence! I actually wondered whether it might be Underhill Farm and now you suggest the same thing.

The reason is that my Grandfathers brother is buried there.

Cheers,
Tim L.

#15 Roger H

Roger H

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:20 AM

Right area and the trees are right. I note that the trench map indicates three buildings form the farm, but only two in the photo. But is that rubble to the fore of the photo??

Roger

Attached Images

• Underhill Farm v1.jpg

#16 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,507 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:51 PM

Underhill farm was the thought that came to my mind too.

Michelle

#17 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:07 AM

I can't seem to find any other photos of Underhill Farm with which to compare it.

But considering the three of us all had the same suspicion, it would appear the likelihood is quite good.

Cheers,
Tim L.

#18 Auimfo

Auimfo

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Ok, I may have worked it out.

I've just been going through my Grandfather's diaries and at the beginning of the Battle of Messines on 7th June 1917, he was at Kandahar Farm and from there sent onto the Regimental Aid Post in Spring Street. He spent the entire time based at the Aid Post, stretcher bearing between it and the front lines. At the conclusion of the battle, he returned to Kandahar Farm and shortly afterwards they were relieved and sent to Nieppe.

So, my best guess is that the first two photos are of the entrance to Spring Street and the Regimental Aid Post and the final photo is possibly of Kandahar Farm.

Does anyone have any photos of Kandahar Farm that we can compare to confirm if I'm correct?

Cheers,
Tim L.

#19 mebu

mebu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 06:42 AM

Fairly sure it is not Kandahar. This is on top of a wide, open plateau with few trees around, certainly no wood behind.
The more I look at your photo the more sure it is Underhill.

No pics, but look at pic on CWGC site, also for Kandahar.

Peter

#20 Wendy Mac...

Wendy Mac...

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 805 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Ok, I may have worked it out.

I've just been going through my Grandfather's diaries and at the beginning of the Battle of Messines on 7th June 1917, he was at Kandahar Farm and from there sent onto the Regimental Aid Post in Spring Street. He spent the entire time based at the Aid Post, stretcher bearing between it and the front lines. At the conclusion of the battle, he returned to Kandahar Farm and shortly afterwards they were relieved and sent to Nieppe.

So, my best guess is that the first two photos are of the entrance to Spring Street and the Regimental Aid Post and the final photo is possibly of Kandahar Farm.

Does anyone have any photos of Kandahar Farm that we can compare to confirm if I'm correct?

Cheers,
Tim L.

Hi

Here is a photo of Kandahar Farm dressing station.
http://tumatauenga.w...hotoid=54697560

Regards Wendy

#21 mebu

mebu

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:47 PM

Here's a pic of Underhill (from Spagnoly & Smith)If your granddad had stood 50 yards to the right, on the road, where the tall trees are.

Seems reasonably certain.

Peter

Attached Images

• img425.jpg