#1 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:WW1, Geneology

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:47 PM

Hi all fellow members,

Currently trying to research a relative, Richard Clark, listed as serving with the 3rd East Yorkshire Regiment and his subsequent movements. I can see two army numbers, 3/6501 and 225101, anyone able to tell me about the regiments movements and why would he have two numbers, help please.

Regards

Garry Trown

#2 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi Garry,

They appear to be two different men;

3/6501 went to the Balkans on 5th October 1915, and was therefore entitled to a trio of medals.

225101 did not serve abroad until sometime after 31/12/1915 and was entitled to victory and BWM but no star. However he did receive a Territorial Efficiency Medal in AO148 of 1920.

#3 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Good morning Brigadier General,

Many thanks for your reply I'm grateful. I do have Richard Clark's medal index and he is listed with a number 3/6501, looking at the National Archives web-site I found the the second number, hence the question. His medal index has him being eligible for the Victory and Star medal, however on the British medal line I can see -do -do- , does this mean he would recieve this medal as well. My initial research suggests he was possibly a terratorial along with his brother William who is another soldier I'm researching. Do you know where I can find any information on his regiments movements in the Balkas.

Regards

Garry Trown

Hi Garry,

They appear to be two different men;

3/6501 went to the Balkans on 5th October 1915, and was therefore entitled to a trio of medals.

225101 did not serve abroad until sometime after 31/12/1915 and was entitled to victory and BWM but no star. However he did receive a Territorial Efficiency Medal in AO148 of 1920.

#4 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

Hi there,

I'm no expert but he definitely received all three medals, and i'd say that the "ditto" means the same page and entry on the medal rolls.

The 3rd battalion was a reserve battalion, and so never went abroad. - http://www.1914-1918.net/eastyorks.htm If i'm reading it correctly, only the 6th battalion were in the Balkans by 5th October. Hopefully, someone can help confirm this.

By the way, how do you know which is the correct medal card?

#5 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:31 AM

Morning Brigadier General,

Many thanks for the last post. Not sure how to answer your response save to say I have a picture of Richrd Clark taken from the Bridlington Free Press paper that states he was in the 3rd Battalion, East Yorkshire Regiment. Looking at the evidence now in front of me I think we can say that the Richard Clark I'm researching now had an army number 225101 and never saw action oversea's, thus making it the wrong Richard Clark, could I ask if you are aware this man would have had a medal index card. Should this be the case I'm now looking for a written history of the 3rd's movements in supporting te war effort, any thoughts. Facinating stuff I think. I'm of to Gallipoli next week on a walking tour and will see X beach where my grandad fought , have to say I'm somewhat excited.

Regards

Garry.

Hi there,

I'm no expert but he definitely received all three medals, and i'd say that the "ditto" means the same page and entry on the medal rolls.

The 3rd battalion was a reserve battalion, and so never went abroad. - http://www.1914-1918.net/eastyorks.htm If i'm reading it correctly, only the 6th battalion were in the Balkans by 5th October. Hopefully, someone can help confirm this.

By the way, how do you know which is the correct medal card?

#6 IPT

IPT

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,928 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:05 PM

Hi Garry,

No, the medal cards mean that both men went abroad. If you didn't go abroad, you had no medal card.

For all I know, the 3/ prefix means that 3/6501 started out in the 3rd and was then drafted into the 6th.

However, i'm completely out of my depth here and am hoping for an East Yorks expert to come and sort it out!

#7 1st east yorks

1st east yorks

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment(WW1).
    The Battle of The Somme.
    The Great War.
    American civil war.
    Irish history and independence.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:01 PM

Garry,
I can not find an R Clark with either number in my book ,'The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War 1914-1918'. In the back of the book it lists,by battalion, all those who served with the Regiment during the Great War.
The 3rd battalion were based in England and were responsible for recruiting and training men for the front.
If i can assist you any further let me know,
Anthony.

#8 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:34 PM

Hi Anthony, many thanks for your news as I'm now at a loss as to what to say, save that Richard Clark was born in my home town Bridlington in 1886, brother to my late gran Minnie. I have a picture of him taken from the local paper the Bridlington Free Press saying private Richard Clark, 3rd East Yorkshire Regiment, son of Mrs Clark, 55 West St, Bridlington.He really is a mystery, I know he survived the war and died in Birmingham 07/11/1970 as I'm in touch with one of his distant relatives in the Stoke area.I sent the picture to this relative who in-turn showed it to her mother-in -law who was one of his children and on seeing it she cried and let me know how very grateful she was. Apparently she realised it was her dad immediately. I'm also researching Richards brother William (acting coporal 13734)of the same regiment who succumbed to a snipers bullet 04/01/16, I've visited his grave at Dickiebusch New Military Cemetery but struggling to find where he actually was when in the line the day he was shot, any ideas as I'd really like to visit and get as close as I can to the actual place.[

Regards

Garry
quote name='1st east yorks' timestamp='1335816115' post='1746487']
Garry,
I can not find an R Clark with either number in my book ,'The East Yorkshire Regiment in the Great War 1914-1918'. In the back of the book it lists,by battalion, all those who served with the Regiment during the Great War.
The 3rd battalion were based in England and were responsible for recruiting and training men for the front.
Anthony.
[/quote]

#9 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 02:46 PM

Good afternoon Brigadier General,

Many thanks for the reply, I've added a fellow enthusiats resonse in case you have not seen it and my own reply.

Garry,
Anthony.

Hi Anthony, many thanks for your news as I'm now at a loss as to what to say, save that Richard Clark was born in my home town Bridlington in 1886, brother to my late gran Minnie. I have a picture of him taken from the local paper the Bridlington Free Press saying private Richard Clark, 3rd East Yorkshire Regiment, son of Mrs Clark, 55 West St, Bridlington.He really is a mystery, I know he survived the war and died in Birmingham 07/11/1970 as I'm in touch with one of his distant relatives in the Stoke area.I sent the picture to this relative who in-turn showed it to her mother-in -law who was one of his children and on seeing it she cried and let me know how very grateful she was. Apparently she realised it was her dad immediately. I'm also researching Richards brother William (acting coporal 13734)of the same regiment who succumbed to a snipers bullet 04/01/16, I've visited his grave at Dickiebusch New Military Cemetery but struggling to find where he actually was when in the line the day he was shot, any ideas as I'd really like to visit and get as close as I can to the actual place.[

Regards,

Garry

Hi Garry,

No, the medal cards mean that both men went abroad. If you didn't go abroad, you had no medal card.

For all I know, the 3/ prefix means that 3/6501 started out in the 3rd and was then drafted into the 6th.

However, i'm completely out of my depth here and am hoping for an East Yorks expert to come and sort it out!

#10 1st east yorks

1st east yorks

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts
  • Interests:1st Battalion East Yorkshire Regiment(WW1).
    The Battle of The Somme.
    The Great War.
    American civil war.
    Irish history and independence.

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Garry,
William is listed as being in the 8th Battalion. On the 29th December 1915 the 8th Battalion relieved the 12th West Yorks at Voormezeele.
I will type the short section out of my book when i get a chance and PM it to you. I hope this helps.
Anthony.

#11 garrytrown

garrytrown

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi Anthony, many thanks for the up-date. I'm already looking forward to seeing all you have, in the meantime I can now research Voormezeele.

Many thanks

Garry

Garry,
William is mentioned as being in the 8th battalion. On the 28th December 1915 the 8th battalion relieved the 12th West Yorks at Voormezeele.
I will type the short section out of my book when i get a chance and PM it to you. I hope this helps.
Anthony.