Photo

German plane of FA62 - 3rd April 1916

5 replies to this topic

#1 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:10th and 1/5th Lincolnshire Battalions<br />D Company; 2/5th Duke of Wellington's.<br />The men that served from the village of Bonby

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:42 AM

Wonder if any avaition experts could clarify or add to the info i already have surrounding an incident on 3rd April 1916. A small note in a diary of the 1/5th Lincs desribes a German plane brought down behind our lines on 3rd April 1916. At the time the location would have been behind Vimy Ridge. From info in 'Casualties of the German Air Service' i am sure this would make it a plane of FA62 recorded as piloted by Lt. Hans Ziemssen (death location given as Ecoivres). I am presuming the observer is Lt. Walter Kube listed next to Ziemssen in the book and death location given as St. Eloi (presuming this to be St Eloi next to Ecoivres and not the one up near Ypres).
Does anyone have any more info on the German plane, and or any more information about who shot it down or how it crashed, then this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Chris

#2 nils d

nils d

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

are you aware this is Immelmanns unit, so could be the highest scoring German unit before Jasta 2 got into its stride.
This Albatros [B type?] was blue coloured and was engaged by a 18 Sqn Vickers FB5 Lt A L Findley/Lt Scott. After a 20 round burst the German broke clear but then ran into another Vickers from 11 Sqn and Capt D M Rawcliffe/Sgt Woodfield delivered the killer blow. lt crashed and the crew were killed. Location given as Souchez.German artillery completed the destruction.lt was the last definite kill for the FB5.

#3 Chris

Chris

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 927 posts
  • Interests:10th and 1/5th Lincolnshire Battalions<br />D Company; 2/5th Duke of Wellington's.<br />The men that served from the village of Bonby

Posted 29 April 2012 - 08:13 PM

Hello Nils
Thank you for the additional information, exactly what i was looking for. I am aafraid i was ignorant of the history behind the German unit so thanks for adding to my knowledge. Slight bit of a mystery still concerns the grave of one of the two German airmen.
Ltn. Hans Ziemssen is straightforward, buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery near the crash site, in grave French plot 1 Row B Grave 6.
I am nearly 100% sure that his observer Walter Kube is buried next to him in Grave 5 , however the details i have from the CWGC for this grave are H. Kube 23rd Oct 1918. Now maybe i have made a mistake in the recording of the data but surely H Kube must be Walter Kube of 3rd april 1916?

Thanks again nils

Chris

#4 nils d

nils d

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 239 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:41 PM

Hello Nils
Thank you for the additional information, exactly what i was looking for. I am aafraid i was ignorant of the history behind the German unit so thanks for adding to my knowledge. Slight bit of a mystery still concerns the grave of one of the two German airmen.
Ltn. Hans Ziemssen is straightforward, buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery near the crash site, in grave French plot 1 Row B Grave 6.
I am nearly 100% sure that his observer Walter Kube is buried next to him in Grave 5 , however the details i have from the CWGC for this grave are H. Kube 23rd Oct 1918. Now maybe i have made a mistake in the recording of the data but surely H Kube must be Walter Kube of 3rd april 1916?

Thanks again nils

Chris

The CWGC arent 100% accurate so go with your gut feeling.The wreck caught fire so I D ing the bodies may not have been easy.

#5 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,600 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

H for W and 8 for 6 are fairly likely errors from when the CWGC records were scanned and computerised. Ask th to check the original printed registers

#6 Cnock

Cnock

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,220 posts
  • Interests:Ypres Salient
    Air war over Flanders
    Marinekorps Flandern-Belgian Coast
    Bunkers WWI-WWII

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:18 PM

Hi,

The Albatros will be an armed C-type