gilles

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:battle of loos, hill 70

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:08 AM

Bonjour all

i have an information but i am not sure

I would like write a small article for echo des tranchées ..have you information for this captain LCF Oldfield
(battle loos pietre sept 1915)

him and her mother is the same cemetery in estaires ...( rarely where a soldier and family the same cemetery)

gilles

#2 Cam

Cam

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Gilles,
He's mentioned on this Forum here http://1914-1918.inv...pic=57705&st=25
and here http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=38719
Regards
Cam.

#3 mash valley

mash valley

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:all aspects of WW1 especially the Somme, collecting, researching, field walking
    French and Belgian beer
    Leicestershire regiment

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:34 AM

I paid a visit to that cemetery a few weeks ago to visit and take photos of a chap buried there,
I was told by my friend (who is also a battlefield guide) that Oldfields mother never got over her sons death and she died of a broken heart, as i believe, the family was a wealthy one and paid for a plot for his mother to fulfill her request for her to be buried overlooking her sons grave.
So i would say that Oldfields mother never actually died there but died at home in the UK and was buried in Estaries

There maybe a little of this that needs ironing out?

Can anybody else out there help with this??

Andy

#4 Cam

Cam

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:36 AM

From the 1911 Census

Name:Laurel Cecil Francis Oldfield Age in 1911:26 Estimated Birth Year:abt 1885 Relation to Head: Head Gender: Male Birth Place:MANITOFA, CanadaCivil parish:Middle Temple and Inner TempleCounty/Island:LondonCountry: England Street Address:5 Pump Court, Temple Marital Status:Single Occupation:BARRISTER AT LAW Registration district:London CityRegistration District Number:15Sub-registration district:St Sepulchre and All Hallows
Regards
Cam

#5 Cam

Cam

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

Link to the War Graves Photographic Project where this is some more information
http://twgpp.org/inf...n.php?id=664091

Regards
cam

#6 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,634 posts
  • Interests:military history, esp WWI, current affairs, cinema, playing golf badly

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:17 AM

Link to the War Graves Photographic Project where this is some more information
http://twgpp.org/inf...n.php?id=664091

Regards
cam

I'm confused. That picture would seem to be of a headstone in Brompton cemetery. Does he have two CWGC headstones, one in Brompton and one in Estaires? Estaires is a communal cemetery so I assume Mrs Oldfield is buried in the civilian section of it.

cheers Martin B

#7 mash valley

mash valley

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:all aspects of WW1 especially the Somme, collecting, researching, field walking
    French and Belgian beer
    Leicestershire regiment

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:25 AM

There must be a mistake with the Brompton cemetery, surely?

You assumed correctly of course that mrs Oldfield is buried in the civilian part of the cemetery but only yards form her sons, she is on the very edge of the civilan part

#8 Cam

Cam

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:33 AM

I'm confused. That picture would seem to be of a headstone in Brompton cemetery. Does he have two CWGC headstones, one in Brompton and one in Estaires? Estaires is a communal cemetery so I assume Mrs Oldfield is buried in the civilian section of it.

cheers Martin B

Hi
I take it he is only remembered in the cemetery. This is what it says:-
Buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery, grave ref: II. J. 6. and remembered on two headstones in the family grave plot.
Regards
Cam

#9 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,634 posts
  • Interests:military history, esp WWI, current affairs, cinema, playing golf badly

Posted 29 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hi
I take it he is only remembered in the cemetery. This is what it says:-
Buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery, grave ref: II. J. 6. and remembered on two headstones in the family grave plot.
Regards
Cam

Yes, I appreciate that, it's just that the caption indicates the picture was taken in Brompton Cemetery, which implies he has two CWGC headstones, one in Estaires marking his grave and on in Brompton as a memorial, which seems a bit unusual, if not irregular. Unless the photo is really the one in Estaires.

cheers Martin B

#10 David Underdown

David Underdown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,563 posts
  • Interests:The Rolls of Honour of the Central Council for Church Bell Ringers, and the Surrey Association of Church Bell Ringers.

Also remembering my Great-Great-Uncle Pte 30649 Frederick John Holbrook, 2nd Bn, Welsh Regiment, Died of Wounds 26 July 1916, buried Heilly Station Cemetery, II D 11 aged 19 according to CWGC, but born 5 May 1898. Entered France 12 May 1915. (Avatar)

Staff member (Digital Preservation) at The National Archives, but here in a personal capacity.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

The photo is just a placeholder - the actual one isn't available as the text on the image indicates

#11 Cam

Cam

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 567 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

Hi,
Out of curiosity I purchased the photo. It is of the inscription on the family grave plot.
Details: Laurel Cecil Francis Oldfield
25th September 1915. Age 31. killed whilst leading his men into action at the Battle of Loos. Barrister. at. Law (Inner Temple), MA (Oxford). Buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery, grave ref: II. J. 6. and remembered on two headstones in the family grave plot. His mother, Catherine Lillian Oldfield is buried near her son as she wished.
So only one CWGC headstone at Estaires as I mentioned earlier.

Regards
Cam

#12 mash valley

mash valley

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 288 posts
    French and Belgian beer
    Leicestershire regiment

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Good work cam
That settles that part of it