Photo

6th Cameron Highlanders

4 replies to this topic

#1 1897

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:19 AM

I am looking for some information about the 6th Cameron Highlanders and if they were attacked by (mustard-) gas in July 1917.

Maybe the attack were on the 15th of July and I think it was in the Ypres-area, maybe close to Popeperinge.

#2 Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,038 posts
  • Interests:The units that fought around Croisilles and Fontaine-les-Croisilles 1917-8,

The Universities and Public Schools Brigade Royal Fusiliers

Also the 'Immortals' of Festubert

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:39 AM

I have a copy of the battalion history which has a couple of pages on the July fighting for the 6th Bn. A quick look revealed a paragraph entitled 'Mustard Gas Havoc' - the Germans launched 10000 shells of that substance into Ypres where a company of 6th Camerons was billeted in a convent - almost the whole lot (200 men) got a strong dose - one officer and 36 men later died. It's a bit much to transcribe - please message me an email address and I'll send you pictures of the pages.

Kind regards

Colin

#3 Patrick Watt

Patrick Watt

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Highlanders battalions in the Great War, especially the 4th and 6th Cameron Highlanders.

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hi there

It was on the night of the 12/13th July 1917 and the shells hit C Company's billet. A platoon from A, B and D Companies were sent to take the place of the men of C Company. An interesting aside from the battalion history says that kilted battalions tended to suffer less than trousered ones from mustard gas attacks as the swinging of the kilt cleared the gas quickly from the region!

The battalion war diary says that 5 officers and 114 men were affected by the gas.

If you would like a list of the men killed please PM me and I will send it on.

All the best

Patrick

#4 1897

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:26 PM

Dear Sir, Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Martin

I have a copy of the battalion history which has a couple of pages on the July fighting for the 6th Bn. A quick look revealed a paragraph entitled 'Mustard Gas Havoc' - the Germans launched 10000 shells of that substance into Ypres where a company of 6th Camerons was billeted in a convent - almost the whole lot (200 men) got a strong dose - one officer and 36 men later died. It's a bit much to transcribe - please message me an email address and I'll send you pictures of the pages.

Kind regards

Colin

#5 1897

Corporal

• Members2
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thanks, I have sent a PM to you.

Martin'

Hi there

It was on the night of the 12/13th July 1917 and the shells hit C Company's billet. A platoon from A, B and D Companies were sent to take the place of the men of C Company. An interesting aside from the battalion history says that kilted battalions tended to suffer less than trousered ones from mustard gas attacks as the swinging of the kilt cleared the gas quickly from the region!

The battalion war diary says that 5 officers and 114 men were affected by the gas.

If you would like a list of the men killed please PM me and I will send it on.

All the best

Patrick