Remembered Today:

Photo

The Inniskillings in Clonmany, Co donegal.

3 replies to this topic

#1 clonmany

clonmany

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

I am researching the history of the Inniskilling Fusiliers in Clonmany in Co Donegal. During my younger days there were many anecdotal references to the training camp in the Glenfield in Clonmany. I am now looking for aditional information if anyone could provide it.

#2 HERITAGE PLUS

HERITAGE PLUS

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,210 posts
  • Interests:British Military History in general but mainly the period 1837-1919.
    Irish Military History mainly 1798, 1916 and 1919-23.
    Military & Brass Bands - Music and Instruments

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

The following is from the Long Long Trail (see Link to left of the forum page)

4th (Extra Reserve) Battalion
August 1914 : in Enniskillen. Moved on mobilisation to Lough Swilly and in October 1914 to Buncrana. Had a period in 1916 in Clonmany but returned to Buncrana. Absorbed the 3rd (Reserve) Bn in April 1918.

Dave

#3 jdoyle

jdoyle

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

http://www.cwgc.org/...D, MARK WILLIAM

accidentally drowned at Clonmany (According to Ireland's Memorial Records) in 1915. There's a write up of this chap and the circumstances of his death at

http://www.ulsterwar...ounty_down.html

#4 cleaghman

cleaghman

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:51 PM

I am from Clonmany and would be very interested in any material on Glenfield Camp. It was built in 1914 for training purposes and demolished in 1919. The location was chosen as it was close to Fort Dunree( which is now an Irish army military museum) and Fort Leenan(now in ruin) .It was also close to a railway which connected to Derry. There are photos on the Clonmany website of the Iniskillings marching through Clonmany and just. today I saw a photo of locals involved in the building of the camp.