Tuscania Captain Paul McLean

5 replies to this topic

#1 WorldWarOne234

WorldWarOne234

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

I hvae been looking for biographic material about the HMS Captain Paul <McLean (I think it is spelled this way). It's almost as if he his life has disappeared from the pages of history. I have tried all angles and have found maybe a paragraph or 2 on the Captain. I am wanting to know about his life and his career as a Captain and think there should be material out there but have not been successful. I have tried to look for his log book and the time the Tuscania went down. I do not know if anything exists about him. Would be grateful if someone knows about him and his life.

#2 CGM

CGM

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:14 PM

Was he called Peter, or could this be an error?

In a summary of the content of The Illustrated London News of 1918, February 16th edition, in the section People of the Moment, Captain Peter McLean In Command of the US Transport "Tuscania" is listed.

I'm afraid I haven't got a copy to be able to look the entry up.

CGM

#3 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

I have a book about the ships of the Anchor Line at home and will look up your ship this evening, though I should mention it's the Haws book, which is much thinner that the official Anchor Line books, which are readily available in most major libraries...have you consulted those yet? If not, I would recommend checking them out.

Daniel

#4 CGM

CGM

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:20 PM

Searching for Peter does bring up several links see here for a piece by a grand niece and then click on UP for more information.

Captain Peter Alexander McLean

#5 WorldWarOne234

WorldWarOne234

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 12:52 PM

[quote name='CGM' timestamp='1335874448' post='1746693']
Was he called Peter, or could this be an error?

In a summary of the content of The Illustrated London News of 1918, February 16th edition, in the section People of the Moment, Captain Peter McLean In Command of the US Transport "Tuscania" is listed.

I'm afraid I haven't got a copy to be able to look the entry up.

CGM

[/quThank you. Yes it was Peter.

It was Peter. Thank you so much.

#6 ph0ebus

ph0ebus

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Voila...

Attached File  tuscania from haws cropped resized.jpg   98.77KB   1 downloads

Daniel